- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nucleic Acids
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 283560, 10 pages
Expression Profiling of a Heterogeneous Population of ncRNAs Employing a Mixed DNA/LNA Microarray
1Section for Genomics and RNomics, Biocenter, Innsbruck Medical University, Fritz Pregl Strasse 3, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
2Institute for Genomics and Bioinformatics, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 14, 8010 Graz, Austria
3Université de Lorraine, CNRS-UMR 7214 AREMS, 9 avenue de la Forêt de Haye, F-54506 Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy, France
Received 30 November 2011; Revised 6 March 2012; Accepted 6 March 2012
Academic Editor: Ashis K. Basu
Copyright © 2012 Konstantinia Skreka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Birney, J. A. Stamatoyannopoulos, A. Dutta et al., “Identification and analysis of functional elements in 1% of the human genome by the ENCODE pilot project,” Nature, vol. 447, no. 7146, pp. 799–816, 2007.
- J. S. Mattick and I. V. Makunin, “Small regulatory RNAs in mammals,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. R121–R132, 2005.
- J. S. Mattick and I. V. Makunin, “Non-coding RNA,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 15, pp. R17–R29, 2006.
- A. T. Willingham and T. R. Gingeras, “TUF Love for “Junk” DNA,” Cell, vol. 125, no. 7, pp. 1215–1220, 2006.
- A. Mortazavi, B. A. Williams, K. McCue, L. Schaeffer, and B. Wold, “Mapping and quantifying mammalian transcriptomes by RNA-Seq,” Nature Methods, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 621–628, 2008.
- A. Saxena and P. Carninci, “Whole transcriptome analysis: what are we still missing?” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 527–543, 2011.
- C. A. Raabe, C. H. Hoe, G. Randau, J. Brosius, T. H. Tang, and T. S. Rozhdestvensky, “The rocks and shallows of deep RNA sequencing: examples in the Vibrio cholerae RNome,” RNA, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1357–1366, 2011.
- M. Castoldi, S. Schmidt, V. Benes, M. W. Hentze, and M. U. Muckenthaler, “miChip: an array-based method for microRNA expression profiling using locked nucleic acid capture probes,” Nature Protocols, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 321–329, 2008.
- M. Hackl, S. Brunner, K. Fortschegger et al., “miR-17, miR-19b, miR-20a, and miR-106a are down-regulated in human aging,” Aging Cell, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 291–296, 2010.
- N. Jacobsen, J. Bentzen, M. Meldgaard et al., “LNA-enhanced detection of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the apolipoprotein E.,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 30, no. 19, article e100, 2002.
- R. N. Veedu and J. Wengel, “Locked nucleic acids: promising nucleic acid analogs for therapeutic applications,” Chemistry and Biodiversity, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 536–542, 2010.
- J. Liao, L. Yu, Y. Mei et al., “Small nucleolar RNA signatures as biomarkers for non-small-cell lung cancer,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 9, article 198, 2010.
- X. Liu, K. Fortin, and Z. Mourelatos, “MicroRNAs: biogenesis and molecular functions,” Brain Pathology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 113–121, 2008.
- N. Rosenfeld, R. Aharonov, E. Meiri et al., “MicroRNAs accurately identify cancer tissue origin,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 462–469, 2008.
- K. Skreka, M. Karbiener, M. Zywicki, H. Alexander, S. Marcel, and R. Mathieu, “Expression profiling of ncRNAs employing RNP libraries and custom LNA/DNA microarray analysis,” Regulatory RNAs: Basics, Methods and Applications, Springer, 2012.
- M. Rederstorff, S. H. Bernhart, A. Tanzer et al., “RNPomics: defining the ncRNA transcriptome by cDNA library generation from ribonucleo-protein particles.,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, no. 10, article e113, 2010.
- M. W. Pfaffl, “A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real-time RT-PCR,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 29, no. 9, article e45, 2001.
- R. Hutzinger, J. Mrázek, S. Vorwerk, and A. Hüttenhofer, “NcRNA-microchip analysis: a novel approach to identify differential expression of non-coding RNAs,” RNA Biology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 586–595, 2010.
- H. Fang, X. Fan, L. Guo et al., “Self-self hybridization as an alternative experiment design to dye swap for two-color microarrays,” OMICS A Journal of Integrative Biology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 14–24, 2007.
- J. Lingner, I. Radtke, E. Wahle, and W. Keller, “Purification and characterization of poly(A) polymerase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 266, no. 14, pp. 8741–8746, 1991.
- W. A. Cantara, P. F. Crain, J. Rozenski et al., “The RNA modification database, RNAMDB: 2011 update,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. D195–D201, 2011.
- I. Behm-Ansmant, M. Helm, and Y. Motorin, “Use of specific chemical reagents for detection of modified nucleotides in RNA,” Journal of Nucleic Acids, vol. 2011, Article ID 408053, 17 pages, 2011.
- R. Ishitani, S. Yokoyama, and O. Nureki, “Structure, dynamics, and function of RNA modification enzymes,” Current Opinion in Structural Biology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 330–339, 2008.
- Y. Wang and R. Blelloch, “Cell cycle regulation by microRNAs in stem cells,” Results Probl Cell Differ, vol. 53, pp. 459–472, 2010.
- A. Rybak, H. Fuchs, L. Smirnova et al., “A feedback loop comprising lin-28 and let-7 controls pre-let-7 maturation during neural stem-cell commitment,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 987–993, 2008.
- F. G. Wulczyn, L. Smirnova, A. Rybak et al., “Post-transcriptional regulation of the let-7 microRNA during neural cell specification,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 415–426, 2007.
- C. Ender, A. Krek, M. R. Friedländer et al., “A Human snoRNA with MicroRNA-Like Functions,” Molecular Cell, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 519–528, 2008.
- S. Kishore, A. Khanna, Z. Zhang et al., “The snoRNA MBII-52 (SNORD 115) is processed into smaller RNAs and regulates alternative splicing,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 19, no. 7, Article ID ddp585, pp. 1153–1164, 2010.
- S. Kishore and S. Stamm, “The snoRNA HBII-52 regulates alternative splicing of the serotonin receptor 2C,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5758, pp. 230–232, 2006.
- A. A. Saraiya and C. C. Wang, “snoRNA, a novel precursor of microRNA in Giardia lamblia,” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 4, no. 11, Article ID e1000224, 2008.
- R. J. Taft, E. A. Glazov, T. Lassmann, Y. Hayashizaki, P. Carninci, and J. S. Mattick, “Small RNAs derived from snoRNAs,” RNA, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1233–1240, 2009.
- S. Gilad, E. Meiri, Y. Yogev et al., “Serum microRNAs are promising novel biomarkers,” PLoS One, vol. 3, no. 9, Article ID e3148, 2008.
- J. Lu, G. Getz, E. A. Miska et al., “MicroRNA expression profiles classify human cancers,” Nature, vol. 435, no. 7043, pp. 834–838, 2005.
- R. A. Gupta, N. Shah, K. C. Wang et al., “Long non-coding RNA HOTAIR reprograms chromatin state to promote cancer metastasis,” Nature, vol. 464, no. 7291, pp. 1071–1076, 2010.
- M. Huarte and J. L. Rinn, “Large non-coding RNAs: missing links in cancer?” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. R152–R161, 2010.
- J. Kocerha, S. Kauppinen, and C. Wahlestedt, “microRNAs in CNS disorders,” Neuromolecular Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 162–172, 2009.
- M. Rederstorff and A. Hüttenhofer, “Small non-coding RNAs in disease development and host-pathogen interactions,” Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 684–694, 2010.