- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nucleic Acids
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 652979, 10 pages
Plant MicroRNA Prediction by Supervised Machine Learning Using C5.0 Decision Trees
Division of Plant Sciences, Research School of Biology, College of Medicine, Biology & Environment, The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Received 6 July 2012; Revised 10 September 2012; Accepted 17 September 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas Litman
Copyright © 2012 Philip H. Williams et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Liu, M. A. Valencia-Sanchez, G. J. Hannon, and R. Parker, “MicroRNA-dependent localization of targeted mRNAs to mammalian P-bodies,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 719–723, 2005.
- T. D. Schmittgen, “Regulation of microRNA processing in development, differentiation and cancer,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 12, no. 5B, pp. 1811–1819, 2008.
- J. Lu, G. Getz, E. A. Miska et al., “MicroRNA expression profiles classify human cancers,” Nature, vol. 435, no. 7043, pp. 834–838, 2005.
- L. Zhang, P. S. Sullivan, J. C. Goodman, P. H. Gunaratne, and D. Marchetti, “MicroRNA-1258 suppresses breast cancer brain metastasis by targeting heparanase,” Cancer Research, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 645–654, 2011.
- J. Hertel and P. F. Stadler, “Hairpins in a Haystack: recognizing microRNA precursors in comparative genomics data,” Bioinformatics, vol. 22, no. 14, pp. E197–E202, 2006.
- J. Wen, B. J. Parker, and G. F. Weiller, “In silico identification and characterization of mRNA-Like noncoding transcripts in Medicago truncatula,” In Silico Biology, vol. 7, no. 4-5, pp. 485–505, 2007.
- Z. S. Kai and A. E. Pasquinelli, “MicroRNA assassins: factors that regulate the disappearance of miRNAs,” Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 2010.
- J. Wen, T. Frickey, and G. F. Weiller, “Computational prediction of candidate miRNAs and their targets from medicago truncatula non-protein-coding transcripts,” In Silico Biology, vol. 8, no. 3-4, pp. 291–306, 2008.
- J. Wen, G. F. Weiller, and B. J. Parker, “Analysis of structural strand asymmetry in non-coding RNAs,” in Proceedings of the 6th Asia-Pacific Bioinformatics Conference (APBC '08), vol. 6 of Advances in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, pp. 187–198, Imperial College Press, 2008.
- E. Zhu, F. Zhao, G. Xu et al., “MirTools: microRNA profiling and discovery based on high-throughput sequencing,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, no. 2, Article ID gkq393, pp. W392–W397, 2010.
- M. Hackenberg, M. Sturm, D. Langenberger, J. M. Falcón-Pérez, and A. M. Aransay, “miRanalyzer: a microRNA detection and analysis tool for next-generation sequencing experiments,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. W68–W76, 2009.
- M. R. Friedländer, S. D. MacKowiak, N. Li, W. Chen, and N. Rajewsky, “MiRDeep2 accurately identifies known and hundreds of novel microRNA genes in seven animal clades,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 37–52, 2012.
- P. Jiang, H. Wu, W. Wang, W. Ma, X. Sun, and Z. Lu, “MiPred: classification of real and pseudo microRNA precursors using random forest prediction model with combined features,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, pp. W339–344, 2007.
- C. Xue, F. Li, T. He, G. P. Liu, Y. Li, and X. Zhang, “Classification of real and pseudo microRNA precursors using local structure-sequence features and support vector machine,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 6, article 310, 2005.
- B. Pant, K. Pant, and K. R. Pardasani, “Decision tree classifier for classification of plant and animal micro RNA's,” Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 51, pp. 443–451, 2009.
- J. H. Teune and G. Steger, “NOVOMIR: de novo prediction of microRNA-coding regions in a single plant-genome,” Journal of Nucleic Acids, vol. 2010, Article ID 495904, 10 pages, 2010.
- M. R. Friedländer, W. Chen, C. Adamidi et al., “Discovering microRNAs from deep sequencing data using miRDeep,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 407–415, 2008.
- A. Kozomara and S. Griffiths-Jones, “MiRBase: integrating microRNA annotation and deep-sequencing data,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. D152–D157, 2011.
- X. Chen, Q. Li, J. Wang et al., “Identification and characterization of novel amphioxus microRNAs by Solexa sequencing,” Genome Biology, vol. 10, no. 7, article R78, 2009.
- E. Berezikov, E. Cuppen, and R. H. A. Plasterk, “Approaches to microRNA discovery,” Nature Genetics, vol. 38, supplement, pp. S2–S7, 2006.
- K. L. Childs, J. P. Hamilton, W. Zhu et al., “The TIGR plant transcript assemblies database,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. D846–D851, 2007.
- H. Li and N. Homer, “A survey of sequence alignment algorithms for next-generation sequencing,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 473–483, 2010.
- Q. Dong, C. J. Lawrence, S. D. Schlueter et al., “Comparative plant genomics resources at PlantGDB,” Plant Physiology, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 610–618, 2005.
- I. L. Hofacker, “RNA secondary structure analysis using the Vienna RNA package,” Current Protocols in Bioinformatics, Chapter 12:Unit 12.2, 2009.
- S. Arlot and A. Celisse, “A survey of cross-validation procedures for model selection,” Statistics Surveys, vol. 4, pp. 40–79, 2010.
- D. G. Altman and J. M. Bland, “Diagnostic tests 1: sensitivity and specificity,” BMJ, vol. 308, no. 6943, p. 1552, 1994.
- P. Rice, L. Longden, and A. Bleasby, “EMBOSS: the European molecular biology open software suite,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 276–277, 2000.
- R. E. Schapire, “A brief introduction to boosting,” in Proceedings of the 16th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI '99), vol. 1&2, pp. 1401–1406, 1999.
- N. R. Markham and M. Zuker, “UNAFold: software for nucleic acid folding and hybridization,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 453, pp. 3–31, 2008.