- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nucleic Acids
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 951570, 6 pages
Base Composition Characteristics of Mammalian miRNAs
Department of Chemistry, Robert C. Byrd Biotechnology Science Center, Marshall University, Huntington, WV 25755, USA
Received 8 November 2012; Revised 15 January 2013; Accepted 29 January 2013
Academic Editor: Satoshi Obika
Copyright © 2013 Bin Wang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. S. Ross, J. A. Carlson, and G. Brock, “miRNA: the new gene silencer,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 830–836, 2007.
- C. K. Sen and S. Roy, “miRNA: licensed to kill the messenger,” DNA and Cell Biology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 193–194, 2007.
- A. Grimson, K. K. H. Farh, W. K. Johnston, P. Garrett-Engele, L. P. Lim, and D. P. Bartel, “MicroRNA targeting specificity in mammals: determinants beyond seed pairing,” Molecular Cell, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 91–105, 2007.
- W. Filipowicz, S. N. Bhattacharyya, and N. Sonenberg, “Mechanisms of post-transcriptional regulation by microRNAs: are the answers in sight?” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 102–114, 2008.
- Y. Tanaka and T. Kozu, “MiRNA in disease and therapeutic development,” Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso, vol. 51, no. 16, pp. 2509–2514, 2006.
- J. Weiler, J. Hunziker, and J. Hall, “Anti-miRNA oligonucleotides (AMOs): ammunition to target miRNAs implicated in human disease?” Gene Therapy, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 496–502, 2006.
- C. Jay, J. Nemunaitis, P. Chen, P. Fulgham, and A. W. Tong, “miRNA profiling for diagnosis and prognosis of human cancer,” DNA and Cell Biology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 293–300, 2007.
- T. H. Thai, P. A. Christiansen, and G. C. Tsokos, “Is there a link between dysregulated miRNA expression and disease?” Discovery Medicine, vol. 10, no. 52, pp. 184–194, 2010.
- F. Ahmed, H. R. Ansari, and G. P. S. Raghava, “Prediction of guide strand of microRNAs from its sequence and secondary structure,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 10, article 105, 2009.
- Z. Hu, “Insight into microRNA regulation by analyzing the characteristics of their targets in humans,” BMC Genomics, vol. 10, article 594, 2009.
- M. Brameier, “Genome-wide comparative analysis of microRNAs in three non-human primates,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 3, article 64, 2010.
- G. M. Borchert, N. W. Holton, J. D. Williams, et al., “Comprehensive analysis of microRNA genomic loci identifies pervasive repetitive-element origins,” Mobile Genetic Elements, vol. 1, pp. 8–17, 2011.
- M. Schnall-Levin, O. S. Rissland, W. K. Johnston, N. Perrimon, D. P. Bartel, and B. Berger, “Unusually effective microRNA targeting within repeat-rich coding regions of mammalian mRNAs,” Genome Research, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1395–1403, 2011.
- K. Gkirtzou, I. Tsamardinos, P. Tsakalides, and P. Poirazi, “MatureBayes: a probabilistic algorithm for identifying the mature miRNA within novel precursors,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 8, Article ID e11843, 2010.
- Z. Z. Wang, B. S. Gong, H. K. Wang et al., “MicroRNA regulation constrains the organization of target genes on mammalian chromosomes,” FEBS Letters, vol. 585, no. 12, pp. 1897–1904, 2011.
- S. Griffiths-Jones, “miRBase: the microRNA sequence database,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 342, pp. 129–138, 2006.
- S. Griffiths-Jones, R. J. Grocock, S. van Dongen, A. Bateman, and A. J. Enright, “miRBase: microRNA sequences, targets and gene nomenclature,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 34, pp. D140–D144, 2006.
- S. Griffiths-Jones, H. K. Saini, S. Van Dongen, and A. J. Enright, “miRBase: tools for microRNA genomics,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. D154–D158, 2008.
- A. Kozomara and S. Griffiths-Jones, “MiRBase: integrating microRNA annotation and deep-sequencing data,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. D152–D157, 2011.
- N. C. Lau, L. P. Lim, E. G. Weinstein, and D. P. Bartel, “An abundant class of tiny RNAs with probable regulatory roles in Caenorhabditis elegans,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5543, pp. 858–862, 2001.
- J. G. Doench and P. A. Sharp, “Specificity of microRNA target selection in translational repression,” Genes and Development, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 504–511, 2004.
- J. Brennecke, A. Stark, R. B. Russell, and S. M. Cohen, “Principles of microRNA-target recognition,” PLoS Biology, vol. 3, no. 3, p. e85, 2005.
- B. P. Lewis, C. B. Burge, and D. P. Bartel, “Conserved seed pairing, often flanked by adenosines, indicates that thousands of human genes are microRNA targets,” Cell, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 2005.
- C. B. Nielsen, N. Shomron, R. Sandberg, E. Hornstein, J. Kitzman, and C. B. Burge, “Determinants of targeting by endogenous and exogenous microRNAs and siRNAs,” RNA, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1894–1910, 2007.
- I. Lee, S. S. Ajay, J. I. Yook et al., “New class of microRNA targets containing simultaneous 5′-UTR and 3′-UTR interaction sites,” Genome Research, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1175–1183, 2009.
- E. Borenstein and E. Ruppin, “Direct evolution of genetic robustness in microRNA,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 17, pp. 6593–6598, 2006.