- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 413079, 10 pages
Dynamics of Spreading and Alignment of Cells Cultured In Vitro on a Grooved Polymer Surface
1Institute of Applied Physics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, 4040 Linz, Austria
2Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria
3Institute of Biophysics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, 4040 Linz, Austria
Received 21 April 2010; Revised 28 June 2010; Accepted 7 July 2010
Academic Editor: Lu Sun
Copyright © 2011 Thomas Peterbauer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Y. Lim and H. J. Donahue, “Cell sensing and response to micro- and nanostructured surfaces produced by chemical and topographic patterning,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1879–1891, 2007.
- L. Marcotte and M. Tabrizian, “Sensing surfaces: challenges in studying the cell adhesion process and the cell adhesion forces on biomaterials,” ITBM-RBM, vol. 29, no. 2-3, pp. 77–88, 2008.
- R. G. Flemming, C. J. Murphy, G. A. Abrams, S. L. Goodman, and P. F. Nealey, “Effects of synthetic micro- and nano-structured surfaces on cell behavior,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 573–588, 1999.
- E. Martínez, E. Engel, J. A. Planell, and J. Samitier, “Effects of artificial micro- and nano-structured surfaces on cell behaviour,” Annals of Anatomy—Anatomischer Anzeiger, vol. 191, no. 1, pp. 126–135, 2009.
- S. Fujita, M. Ohshima, and H. Iwata, “Time-lapse observation of cell alignment on nanogrooved patterns,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 6, supplement 3, pp. S269–S277, 2009.
- F. C. M. J. M. van Delft, F. C. van den Heuvel, W. A. Loesberg et al., “Manufacturing substrate nano-grooves for studying cell alignment and adhesion,” Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 85, no. 5-6, pp. 1362–1366, 2008.
- B. Wójciak-Stothard, A. Curtis, W. Monaghan, K. Macdonald, and C. Wilkinson, “Guidance and activation of murine macrophages by nanometric scale topography,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 223, no. 2, pp. 426–435, 1996.
- B. Zhu, Q. Zhang, Q. Lu et al., “Nanotopographical guidance of C6 glioma cell alignment and oriented growth,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 18, pp. 4215–4223, 2004.
- S. A. Biela, Y. Su, J. P. Spatz, and R. Kemkemer, “Different sensitivity of human endothelial cells, smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts to topography in the nano-micro range,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 2460–2466, 2009.
- R. Kemkemer, S. Jungbauer, D. Kaufmann, and H. Gruler, “Cell orientation by a microgrooved substrate can be predicted by automatic control theory,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 4701–4711, 2006.
- M. T. Lam, S. Sim, X. Zhu, and S. Takayama, “The effect of continuous wavy micropatterns on silicone substrates on the alignment of skeletal muscle myoblasts and myotubes,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 24, pp. 4340–4347, 2006.
- A. I. Teixeira, P. F. Nealey, and C. J. Murphy, “Responses of human keratocytes to micro- and nanostructured substrates,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 71A, no. 3, pp. 369–376, 2004.
- W.-B. Tsai and J.-H. Lin, “Modulation of morphology and functions of human hepatoblastoma cells by nano-grooved substrata,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 1442–1454, 2009.
- A. M. Rajnicek, S. Britland, and C. D. McCaig, “Contact guidance of CNS neurites on grooved quartz: influence of groove dimensions, neuronal age and cell type,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 110, no. 23, pp. 2905–2913, 1997.
- A. I. Teixeira, G. A. McKie, J. D. Foley, P. J. Bertics, P. F. Nealey, and C. J. Murphy, “The effect of environmental factors on the response of human corneal epithelial cells to nanoscale substrate topography,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 21, pp. 3945–3954, 2006.
- E. Rebollar, I. Frischauf, M. Olbrich et al., “Proliferation of aligned mammalian cells on laser-nanostructured polystyrene,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1796–1806, 2008.
- W. A. Loesberg, J. te Riet, F. C. M. J. M. van Delft et al., “The threshold at which substrate nanogroove dimensions may influence fibroblast alignment and adhesion,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 27, pp. 3944–3951, 2007.
- B. Zhu, Q. Lu, J. Yin, J. Hu, and Z. Wang, “Effects of laser-modified polystyrene substrate on CHO cell growth and alignment,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 70B, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 2004.
- A. del Campo and E. Arzt, “Fabrication approaches for generating complex micro- and nanopatterns on polymeric surfaces,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 911–945, 2008.
- T. Peterbauer, J. Heitz, M. Olbrich, and S. Hering, “Simple and versatile methods for the fabrication of arrays of live mammalian cells,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 857–863, 2006.
- E. Meijering, M. Jacob, J.-C. F. Sarria, P. Steiner, H. Hirling, and M. Unser, “Design and validation of a tool for neurite tracing and analysis in fluorescence microscopy images,” Cytometry Part A, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 167–176, 2004.
- C. J. Bettinger, R. Langer, and J. T. Borenstein, “Engineering substrate topography at the Micro- and nanoscale to control cell function,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 48, no. 30, pp. 5406–5415, 2009.
- P. Clark, P. Connolly, A. S. G. Curtis, J. A. T. Dow, and C. D. W. Wilkinson, “Topographical control of cell behaviour: II. multiple grooved substrata,” Development, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 635–644, 1990.
- B. Geiger, J. P. Spatz, and A. D. Bershadsky, “Environmental sensing through focal adhesions,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 21–33, 2009.
- M. T. Lam, W. C. Clem, and S. Takayama, “Reversible on-demand cell alignment using reconfigurable microtopography,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1705–1712, 2008.
- S. Fujita, D. Ono, M. Ohshima, and H. Iwata, “Supercritical CO2-assisted embossing for studying cell behaviour on microtextured surfaces,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 34, pp. 4494–4500, 2008.
- P. K. Mattila and P. Lappalainen, “Filopodia: molecular architecture and cellular functions,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 446–454, 2008.
- C. Schäfer, B. Borm, S. Born, C. Möhl, E.-M. Eibl, and B. Hoffmann, “One step ahead: role of filopodia in adhesion formation during cell migration of keratinocytes,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 315, no. 7, pp. 1212–1224, 2009.
- M. J. Dalby, N. Gadegaard, M. O. Riehle, C. D. Wilkinson, and A. S. Curtis, “Investigating filopodia sensing using arrays of defined nano-pits down to 35 nm diameter in size,” The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 2005–2015, 2004.