- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 814606, 5 pages
Water-Soluble Chitosan Nanoparticles Inhibit Hypercholesterolemia Induced by Feeding a High-Fat Diet in Male Sprague-Dawley Rats
Key Unit of Modulating Liver to Treat Hyperlipemia SATCM and Lipid Metabolism Laboratory of 3rd Level SATCM, Guangdong Pharmaceutical University, Guangzhou 510006, China
Received 27 May 2010; Revised 7 July 2010; Accepted 10 July 2010
Academic Editor: Libo Wu
Copyright © 2011 Yi Tao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. A. Varady and P. J. H. Jones, “Combination diet and exercise interventions for the treatment of dyslipidemia: an effective preliminary strategy to lower cholesterol levels?” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 135, no. 8, pp. 1829–1835, 2005.
- Y. Luo, G. Chen, B. Li et al., “Dietary intervention with AHP, a functional formula diet, improves both serum and hepatic lipids profile in dyslipidemia mice,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. H189–H195, 2009.
- E. S. Ostanina, V. P. Varlamov, and G. I. Iakovlev, “Inhibition of lipase activity by low-molecular-weight chitosan,” Prikladnaia biokhimiia i mikrobiologiia, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 38–43, 2008.
- C. L. Bartels and S. J. Miller, “Dietary supplements marketed for weight loss,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 156–169, 2003.
- M. R. Rekha and C. P. Sharma, “Synthesis and evaluation of lauryl succinyl chitosan particles towards oral insulin delivery and absorption,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 144–151, 2009.
- N. Bhattarai, H. R. Ramay, J. Gunn, F. A. Matsen, and M. Zhang, “PEG-grafted chitosan as an injectable thermosensitive hydrogel for sustained protein release,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 609–624, 2005.
- G. Y. Park, S. Mun, Y. Park et al., “Influence of encapsulation of emulsified lipids with chitosan on their in vivo digestibility,” Food Chemistry, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 761–767, 2007.
- J. Zhang, J. Liu, L. Li, and W. Xia, “Dietary chitosan improves hypercholesterolemia in rats fed high-fat diets,” Nutrition Research, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 383–390, 2008.
- S. F. Ausar, M. Morcillo, A. E. León et al., “Improvement of HDL- and LDL-cholesterol levels in diabetic subjects by feeding bread containing chitosan,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 397–399, 2003.
- T. Fukamizo and R. Brzezinski, “Chitosanase from Streptomyces sp. strain N174: a comparative review of its structure and function,” Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 687–696, 1997.
- H. Yin, Y. Du, and J. Zhang, “Low molecular weight and oligomeric chitosans and their bioactivities,” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 16, pp. 1546–1559, 2009.
- Y. Maeda and Y. Kimura, “Antitumor effects of various low-molecular-weight chitosans are due to increased natural killer activity of intestinal intraepithelial lymphocytes in sarcoma 180-bearing mice,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 945–950, 2004.
- M. Sumiyoshi and Y. Kimura, “Low molecular weight chitosan inhibits obesity induced by feeding a high-fat diet long-term in mice,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 201–207, 2006.
- H. Hoyer, W. Schlocker, M. Greindl, T. Ostermann, and A. Bernkop-Schnurch, “Preparation and evaluation of thiomer nanoparticles via high pressure homogenization,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 487–495, 2010.
- H. L. Zhang, S. H. Wu, Y. Tao, L. Q. Zang, and Z. Q. Su, “Preparation and characterization of water-soluble chitosan nanoparticles as protein delivery system,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2010, Article ID 898910, 5 pages, 2010.
- H. G. Choi, J. K. Kim, D. H. Kwak et al., “Effects of high molecular weight water-soluble chitosan on in vitro fertilization and ovulation in mice fed a high-fat diet,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 178–183, 2002.
- S. Hossain, A. Rahman, Y. Kabir, A. A. Shams, F. Afros, and M. Hashimoto, “Effects of shrimp (M0acrobracium rosenbergii)-derived chitosan on plasma lipid profile and liver lipid peroxide levels in normo- and hypercholesterolaemic rats,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 170–176, 2007.
- D. J. Ormrod, C. C. Holmes, and T. E. Miller, “Dietary chitosan inhibits hypercholesterolaemia and atherogenesis in the apolipoprotein E-deficient mouse model of atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 329–334, 1998.
- M. Sugano and Y. Fujisaki, “Effect of the type of diet on the distribution of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase in rat small intestine,” Experientia, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1399–1400, 1980.
- F. Kimura, G. Hasegawa, H. Obayashi et al., “Serum extracellular superoxide dismutase in patients with type 2 diabetes: relationship to the development of micro- and macrovascular complications,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1246–1250, 2003.
- R. A. DiSilvestro, “Influence of copper intake and inflammation on rat serum superoxide dismutase activity levels,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 474–479, 1988.
- U. Windberger, A. Bartholovitsch, R. Plasenzetti, K. J. Korak, and G. Heinze, “Whole blood viscosity, plasma viscosity and erythrocyte aggregation in nine mammalian species: reference values and comparison of data,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 431–440, 2003.
- F. G. R. Fowkes, J. P. Pell, P. T. Donnan et al., “Sex differences in susceptibility to etiologic factors for peripheral atherosclerosis: importance of plasma fibrinogen and blood viscosity,” Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 862–868, 1994.