- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 928728, 6 pages
Preparation and Characterization of Zein and Zein-Chitosan Microspheres with Great Prospective of Application in Controlled Drug Release
Grupo de Materiais Poliméricos e Compósitos (GMPC), Departamento de Química, Universidade Estadual de Maringá (UEM),
Avenue Colombo, 5790, Maringá, 87020-900, Paraná, Brazil
Received 2 June 2010; Revised 26 July 2010; Accepted 6 September 2010
Academic Editor: Libo Wu
Copyright © 2011 Vinícius Müller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Middleton and A. J. Tipton, “Synthetic biodegradable polymers as orthopedic devices,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 2335–2346, 2000.
- E. C. M. Cabral, R. L. Zollner, and M. H. Santana, “Preparation, characterization and in vivo assaysof lipossomes and microspheres (PLGA) useful for desensitization therapy in allergy,” First Brazilian Winter School on Nanobiotechnology-Rede Nanobiotec, pp. 171–172, 2002.
- Y. Kawashima, “Panoparticulate systems for improved drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 1–2, 2001.
- Y. Gerelli, M. T. Di Bari, A. Deriu et al., “Structure and organization of phospholipid/polysaccharide nanoparticles,” Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, vol. 20, no. 10, Article ID 104211, 8 pages, 2008.
- K. M. Lima, C. L. Silva, and J. M. Rodrigues-Júnior, “Microesferas biodegradáveis,” Biotecnologia Ciência & Desenvolvimento, vol. 2, pp. 10–13, 2000.
- A. Nascimento, M. C. M. Laranjeira, V. T. Fávere, and A. Josué, “Impregnation and release of aspirin from Chitosan/poly(acrylic acid) graft copolymer microspheres,” Journal of Microencapsulation: Micro and Nano Carriers, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 679–684, 2001.
- S. H. Lim, I.-C. Liao, and K. W. Leong, “Nonviral gene delivery from nonwoven fibrous scaffolds fabricated by interfacial complexation of polyelectrolytes,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1163–1172, 2006.
- M. Kumar, X. Kong, A. K. Behera, G. R. Hellermann, R. F. Lockey, and S. S. Mohapatra, “Chitosan IFN-γ-pDNA nanoparticle (CIN) therapy for allergic asthma,” Genetic Vaccines and Therapy, vol. 1, article 3, 2003.
- R. Shukla and M. Cheryan, “Zein: the industrial protein from corn,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 171–192, 2001.
- H. Bernstein, E. Morrel, E. Mathlowitz, K. Schwaller, and R. Thomas, “Protein microspheres and methods of using them,” US patent no. 5679377, 1997.
- P. Picklesimer, “Nanotechnologist plans to build things with bricklike corn molecules,” University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, vol. 24, no. 17, 2005.
- J. W. Lawton, “Zein: a history of processing and use,” Cereal Chemistry, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2002.
- M. N. V. R. Kumar, “A review of chitin and Chitosan applications,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 2000.
- M. F. A. Goosen, Applications of Chitin and Chitosan, Technomic Publishing Company, Lancaster, Pa, USA, 1997.
- S. P. Campana Filho and J. Desbrières, “Chitin, Chitosan and derivatives,” in Natural Polymers and Agrofibers Composites, E. Frollini, A. Leão, and L. H. C. Mattoso, Eds., chapter 3, EMBRAPA Instrumentação Agropecuária, São Paulo, Brazil, 2000.
- M. N. V. R. Kumar, R. A. A. Muzzarelli, C. Muzzarelli, H. Sashiwa, and A. J. Domb, “Chitosan chemistry and pharmaceutical perspectives,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 104, no. 12, pp. 6017–6084, 2004.
- S.-T. Lee, F.-L. Mi, Y.-J. Shen, and S.-S. Shyu, “Equilibrium and kinetic studies of copper(II) ion uptake by Chitosan-tripolyphosphate chelating resin,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1879–1892, 2001.
- I. Genta, P. Perugini, B. Conti, and F. Pavanetto, “A multiple emulsion method to entrap a lipophilic compound into Chitosan microspheres,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 237–246, 1997.
- S. Mao, X. Shuai, F. Unger, M. Simon, D. Bi, and T. Kissel, “The depolymerization of Chitosan: effects on physicochemical and biological properties,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 281, no. 1-2, pp. 45–54, 2004.
- B. C. Janegitz, B. C. Lourenção, K. O. Lupetti, and O. Fatibello-Filho, “Desenvolvimento de um método empregando quitosana para remoção de íons metálicos de águas residuárias,” Quimica Nova, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 879–884, 2007.
- C. Rosca, M. I. Popa, G. Lisa, and G. C. Chitanu, “Interaction of Chitosan with natural or synthetic anionic polyelectrolytes. 1. The Chitosan-carboxymethylcellulose complex,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2005.
- D. J. Sessa, A. Mohamed, and J. A. Byars, “Chemistry and physical properties of melt-processed and solution-cross-linked corn Zein,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 16, pp. 7067–7075, 2008.
- S. Torres-Giner, M. J. Ocio, and J. M. Lagaron, “Novel antimicrobial ultrathin structures of Zein/Chitosan blends obtained by electrospinning,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 261–266, 2009.
- Y. Chang, L. Xiao, and Q. Tang, “Preparation and characterization of a novel thermosensitive hydrogel based on Chitosan and gelatin blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 400–407, 2009.
- M. H. Uriarte-Montoya, J. L. Arias-Moscoso, M. Plascencia-Jatomea et al., “Jumbo squid (Dosidicus gigas) mantle collagen: extraction, characterization, and potential application in the preparation of Chitosan-collagen biofilms,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 4212–4219, 2010.
- L. S. Guinesi and E. T. G. Cavalheiro, “The use of DSC curves to determine the acetylation degree of chitin/Chitosan samples,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 444, no. 2, pp. 128–133, 2006.
- M. Tillekeratne and A. J. Easteal, “Modification of Zein films by incorporation of poly(ethylene glycol)s,” Polymer International, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 127–134, 2000.
- A. R. Fajardo, J. F. Piai, A. F. Rubira, and E. C. Muniz, “Time- and pH-dependent self-rearrangement of a swollen polymer network based on polyelectrolytes complexes of chitosan/chondroitin sulfate,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 934–943, 2010.
- P. Relkin, “Differential scanning calorimetry: a useful tool for studying protein denaturation,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 246, no. 2, pp. 371–386, 1994.
- C. G. Mothe, A. Damico, and M. G. S. Machado, “Estudo termoanalítico, CLAE e francionamento físico e químico do subproduto industrial do milho,” Ciência e Tecnologia de Alimentos, vol. 25, pp. 1–7, 2005.
- I. Doǧan Atik, B. Özen, and F. TIhmInlIoǧlu, “Water vapour barrier performance of corn-zein coated polypropylene (PP) packaging films,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 687–693, 2008.
- F. X. B. Santosa and G. W. Padua, “Thermal behavior of Zein sheets plasticized with oleic acid,” Cereal Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 459–462, 2000.