- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 941561, 8 pages
Biocompatible Metal-Oxide Nanoparticles: Nanotechnology Improvement of Conventional Prosthetic Acrylic Resins
1Centro de Física Aplicada y Tecnología Avanzada, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Boulevard Juriquilla 3001, Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76230, Mexico
2Instituto de Neurobiología, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Boulevard Juriquilla 3001, Santiago de Querétaro, Querétaro 76230, Mexico
Received 28 April 2010; Revised 30 June 2010; Accepted 6 September 2010
Academic Editor: Libo Wu
Copyright © 2011 Laura S. Acosta-Torres et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Tanoǧlu and Y. Ergün, “Porous nanocomposites prepared from layered clay and PMMA [poly(methyl methacrylate)],” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 318–322, 2007.
- O. Gurbuz, F. Unalan, and I. Dikbas, “Comparison of the transverse strength of six acrylic denture resins,” OHDMBSC, vol. 9, pp. 21–24, 2010.
- M. Yamauchi, K. Yamamoto, M. Wakabayashi, and J. Kawano, “In vitro adherence of microorganisms to denture base resin with different surface texture,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 1990.
- S. Hahnel, M. Rosentritt, G. Handel, and R. Bürgers, “In vitro evaluation of artificial ageing on surface properties and early Candida albicans adhesion to prosthetic resins,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 249–255, 2009.
- J. M. Saunus, A. Kazoullis, and C. S. Farah, “Cellular and molecular mechanisms of resistance to oral Candida albicans infections,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 13, pp. 5345–5358, 2008.
- L. Kodjikian, C. Burillon, C. Roques et al., “Intraocular lenses, bacterial adhesion and endophthalmitis prevention: a review,” Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 395–409, 2004.
- M. Shi, J. D. Kretlow, A. Nguyen et al., “Antibiotic-releasing porous polymethylmethacrylate constructs for osseous space maintenance and infection control,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 14, pp. 4146–4156, 2010.
- S. K. Kim, S. J. Heo, J. Y. Koak et al., “A biocompatibility study of a reinforced acrylic-based hybrid denture composite resin with polyhedraloligosilsesquioxane,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 389–395, 2007.
- Q. Li, S. Mahendra, D. Y. Lyon et al., “Antimicrobial nanomaterials for water disinfection and microbial control: potential applications and implications,” Water Research, vol. 42, no. 18, pp. 4591–4602, 2008.
- L. Sikong, B. Kongreong, D. Kantachote, and W. Sutthisripok, “Photocatalytic activity and antibacterial behavior of Fe3+-doped TiO2/SnO2 nanoparticles,” Energy Research Journal, vol. 1, pp. 120–125, 2010.
- C. C. Trapalis, P. Keivanidis, G. Kordas et al., “TiO2(Fe3+) nanostructured thin films with antibacterial properties,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 433, no. 1-2, pp. 186–190, 2003.
- L. S. Acosta-Torres, F. H. Barceló-Santana, C. A. Álvarez-Gayosso, and J. Reyes-Gasga, “Synthesis and characterization of poly(methyl methacrylate) polymerized by microwave energy or conventional water bath,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 3953–3960, 2008.
- ISO 1567, Dentistry—Denture Base Polymers, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1999.
- M. A. Compagnoni, D. B. Barbosa, R. F. de Souza, and A. C. Pero, “The effect of polymerization cycles on porosity of microwave-processed denture base resin,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 281–285, 2004.
- “Revised American Dental Association specification no. 12 for denture base polymers,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 451–458, 1975.
- E. Larraz, C. Elvira, M. Fernández et al., “Self-curing acrylic formulations with applications in intervertebral disk restoration: drug release and biological behaviour,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 120–127, 2007.
- G. Meriç, J. E. Dahl, and I. E. Ruyter, “Cytotoxicity of silica-glass fiber reinforced composites,” Dental Materials, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1201–1206, 2008.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- J. Jiang, “Ultrasonic-assisted synthesis of PMMA/Ni0.5Zn0.5Fe2O4 nanocomposite in mixed surfactant system,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1724–1728, 2007.
- L. H. Sperling, Introduction to Physical Polymer Science, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2006.
- J. I. Kroschwitz, Polymer: Polymer Characterization and Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- B. Schrader, Infrared and Raman Spectroscopy: Methods and Applications, VCH, 1995.
- C. I. Vallo, G. A. Abraham, T. R. Cuadrado, and J. San Román, “Influence of cross-linked PMMA beads on the mechanical behavior of self-curing acrylic cements,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 407–416, 2004.
- S. Yannikakis, A. Zissis, G. Polyzois, and A. Andreopoulos, “Evaluation of porosity in microwave-processed acrylic resin using a photographic method,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 613–619, 2002.
- S. H. Tuna, F. Keyf, H. O. Gumus, and C. Uzun, “The evaluation of water sorption/solubility of various acrylic resins,” European Journal of Dentistry, vol. 2, pp. 191–197, 2008.
- L. D. F. R. Garcia, L. D. M. R. Roselino, F. M. Mundim, F. D. C. P. Pires-de-Souza, and S. Consani, “Influence of artificial accelerated aging on dimensional stability of acrylic resins submitted to different storage protocols,” Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 432–437, 2010.
- M. R. Hoffmann, S. T. Martin, W. Choi, and D. W. Bahnemann, “Environmental applications of semiconductor photocatalysis,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 69–96, 1995.
- A. Fujishima, T. N. Rao, and D. A. Tryk, “Titanium dioxide photocatalysis,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C: Photochemistry Reviews, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–21, 2000.
- T. Nonami, H. Hase, and K. Funakoshi, “Apatite-coated titanium dioxide photocatalyst for air purification,” Catalysis Today, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 113–118, 2004.
- A. C. Pero, D. B. Barbosa, J. Marra, et al., “Influence of microwave polymerization method and thickness on porosity of acrylic resin,” Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 125–129, 2008.