- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 952060, 9 pages
Characterization of Plasmid DNA Location within Chitosan/PLGA/pDNA Nanoparticle Complexes Designed for Gene Delivery
1Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department, Louisiana State University Agricultural Center, Rm. 149 E.B. Doran Bldg., Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
2Nanotechnology Center, Applied Science Department, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Little Rock, AR 72211, USA
Received 2 June 2010; Accepted 25 July 2010
Academic Editor: Lu Sun
Copyright © 2011 Hali Bordelon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. S. Davis, “Biomedical applications of nanotechnology—implications for drug targeting and gene therapy,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 217–224, 1997.
- T. Niidome and L. Huang, “Gene therapy progress and prospects: nonviral vectors,” Gene Therapy, vol. 9, no. 24, pp. 1647–1652, 2002.
- E. J. Simon, “Human gene therapy: genes without frontiers?” American Biology Teacher, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 264–270, 2002.
- J. Zhu, A. Tang, L. P. Law et al., “Amphiphilic core-shell nanoparticles with poly(ethylenimine) shells as potential gene delivery carriers,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 139–146, 2005.
- J. Panyam and V. Labhasetwar, “Biodegradable nanoparticles for drug and gene delivery to cells and tissue,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 329–347, 2003.
- S. M. Moghimi, A. C. Hunter, and J. C. Murray, “Nanomedicine: current status and future prospects,” FASEB Journal, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 311–330, 2005.
- A. Bragonzi, A. Boletta, A. Biffi et al., “Comparison between cationic polymers and lipids in mediating systemic gene delivery to the lungs,” Gene Therapy, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 1995–2004, 1999.
- W. R. Gombotz and D. K. Pettit, “Biodegradable polymers for protein and peptide drug delivery,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 332–351, 1995.
- I. Bala, S. Hariharan, and M. N. V. R. Kumar, “PLGA nanoparticles in drug delivery: the state of the art,” Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 387–422, 2004.
- M. Koping-Hoggard, I. Tubulekas, H. Guan et al., “Chitosan as a nonviral gene delivery system. Structure-property relationships and characteristics compared with polyethylenimine in vitro and after lung administration in vivo,” Gene Therapy, vol. 8, no. 14, pp. 1108–1121, 2001.
- M. X. Tang and F. C. Szoka, “The influence of polymer structure on the interactions of cationic polymers with DNA and morphology of the resulting complexes,” Gene Therapy, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 823–832, 1997.
- D. Goula, C. Benoist, S. Mantero, G. Merlo, G. Levi, and B. A. Demeneix, “Polyethylenimine-based intravenous delivery of transgenes to mouse lung,” Gene Therapy, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 1291–1295, 1998.
- M. N. V. R. Kumar, U. Bakowsky, and C. M. Lehr, “Preparation and characterization of cationic PLGA nanospheres as DNA carriers,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1771–1777, 2004.
- M. N. V. R. Kumar, S. S. Mohapatra, X. Kong, P. K. Jena, U. Bakowsky, and C.-M. Lehr, “Cationic poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles as efficient in vivo gene transfection agents,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 4, no. 8, article no. 005, pp. 990–994, 2004.
- A. Bozkir and O. M. Saka, “Chitosan nanoparticles for plasmid DNA delivery: effect of chitosan molecular structure on formulation and release characteristics,” Drug Delivery, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 107–112, 2004.
- Y. Zhang, J. Chen, Y. Zhang et al., “A novel PEGylation of chitosan nanoparticles for gene delivery,” Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 3-4, pp. 197–204, 2007.
- T. Dastan and K. Turan, “In vitro characterization and delivery of chitosan-DNA microparticles into mammalian cells,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 205–214, 2004.
- S. P. Kasturi, K. Sachaphibulkij, and K. Roy, “Covalent conjugation of polyethyleneimine on biodegradable microparticles for delivery of plasmid DNA vaccines,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 32, pp. 6375–6385, 2005.
- K. Tahara, T. Sakai, H. Yamamoto, H. Takeuchi, and Y. Kawashima, “Establishing chitosan coated PLGA nanosphere platform loaded with wide variety of nucleic acid by complexation with cationic compound for gene delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 354, no. 1-2, pp. 210–216, 2008.
- X.-P. Guan, D.-P. Quan, K.-R. Liao, W. Tao, X. Peng, and K.-C. Mai, “Preparation and characterization of cationic chitosan-modified poly(D,L-lactide-co-glycolide) copolymer nanospheres as DNA carriers,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 353–371, 2008.
- J. Chen, B. Tian, X. Yin et al., “Preparation, characterization and transfection efficiency of cationic PEGylated PLA nanoparticles as gene delivery systems,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 2007.
- H.-Q. Mao, K. Roy, V. L. Troung-Le et al., “Chitosan-DNA nanoparticles as gene carriers: synthesis, characterization and transfection efficiency,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 399–421, 2001.
- K. Khatri, A. K. Goyal, P. N. Gupta, N. Mishra, and S. P. Vyas, “Plasmid DNA loaded chitosan nanoparticles for nasal mucosal immunization against hepatitis B,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 354, no. 1-2, pp. 235–241, 2008.
- N. Nafee, S. Taetz, M. Schneider, U. F. Schaefer, and C.-M. Lehr, “Chitosan-coated PLGA nanoparticles for DNA/RNA delivery: effect of the formulation parameters on complexation and transfection of antisense oligonucleotides,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 173–183, 2007.
- S. Taetz, N. Nafee, J. Beisner et al., “The influence of chitosan content in cationic chitosan/PLGA nanoparticles on the delivery efficiency of antisense -O-methyl-RNA directed against telomerase in lung cancer cells,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 358–369, 2008.
- H. Katas, S. Chen, A. A. Osamuyimen, E. Cevher, and H. O. Alpar, “Effect of preparative variables on small interfering RNA loaded Poly(D,L-lactide-co-glycolide)-chitosan submicron particles prepared by emulsification diffusion method,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 541–548, 2008.
- S. Mao, W. Sun, and T. Kissel, “Chitosan-based formulations for delivery of DNA and siRNA,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 12–27, 2009.
- R. B. Gupta, “Nanoparticle technology for drug delivery,” in Drugs and the Pharmaceutical Sciences: Nanoparticle Technology for Drug Delivery, vol. 159, p. 403, Informa Health Care, 2006.
- T. O'Connor, S. Mansy, M. Bina, D. R. McMillin, M. A. Bruck, and R. S. Tobias, “The pH-dependent structure of calf thymus DNA studied by Raman spectroscopy,” Biophysical Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 53–64, 1982.
- F. Feng, G. Zhi, H. S. Jia, L. Cheng, Y. T. Tian, and X. J. Li, “SERS detection of low-concentration adenine by a patterned silver structure immersion plated on a silicon nanoporous pillar array,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 29, Article ID 295501, 2009.