- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 129041, 8 pages
Semiconductor Quantum Dots Surface Modification for Potential Cancer Diagnostic and Therapeutic Applications
1College of Environmental and Chemical Engineering, Yanshan University, Qinhuangdao 066004, China
2State Key Laboratory of Metastable Materials Science and Technology, Yanshan University, Qinhuangdao 066004, China
3Targeted Therapy Unit, Nordion Inc., 447 March Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada K2K 1X8
Received 4 September 2012; Accepted 20 September 2012
Academic Editor: Haiyan Li
Copyright © 2012 Jidong Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- S. M. Hanash, C. S. Baik, and O. Kallioniemi, “Emerging molecular biomarkers-blood-based strategies to detect and monitor cancer,” Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 142–150, 2011.
- J. A. Ludwig and J. N. Weinstein, “Biomarkers in cancer staging, prognosis and treatment selection,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 845–856, 2005.
- A. P. Alivisatos, W. Gu, and C. Larabell, “Quantum dots as cellular probes,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 7, pp. 55–76, 2005.
- X. Michalet, F. Pinaud, T. D. Lacoste, et al., “Properties of fluorescent semiconductor nanocrystals and their applications to biological labeling,” Single Molecules, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 261–276, 2001.
- M. Bruchez, M. Moronne, P. Gin, S. Weiss, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Semiconductor nanocrystals as fluorescent biological labels,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2013–2016, 1998.
- A. P. Alivisatos, “Semiconductor clusters, nanocrystals, and quantum dots,” Science, vol. 271, no. 5251, pp. 933–937, 1996.
- W. C. W. Chan and S. Nie, “Quantum dot bioconjugates for ultrasensitive nonisotopic detection,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2016–2018, 1998.
- P. Mitchell, “Turning the spotlight on cellular imaging,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1013–1017, 2001.
- W. C. W. Chan, D. J. Maxwell, X. Gao, R. E. Bailey, M. Han, and S. Nie, “Luminescent quantum dots for multiplexed biological detection and imaging,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2002.
- X. Michalet, F. F. Pinaud, L. A. Bentolila et al., “Quantum dots for live cells, in vivo imaging, and diagnostics,” Science, vol. 307, no. 5709, pp. 538–544, 2005.
- J. B. Delehanty, H. Mattoussi, and I. L. Medintz, “Delivering quantum dots into cells: strategies, progress and remaining issues,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 393, no. 4, pp. 1091–1105, 2009.
- I. L. Medintz, H. T. Uyeda, E. R. Goldman, and H. Mattoussi, “Quantum dot bioconjugates for imaging, labelling and sensing,” Nature Materials, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 435–446, 2005.
- F. Dubois, B. Mahler, B. Dubertret, E. Doris, and C. Mioskowski, “A versatile strategy for quantum dot ligand exchange,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 482–483, 2007.
- P. Alivisatos, “The use of nanocrystals in biological detection,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 2004.
- J. M. Klostranec and W. C. W. Chan, “Quantum dots in biological and biomedical research: recent progress and present challenges,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 15, pp. 1953–1964, 2006.
- P. Mulvaney, L. M. Liz-Marzán, M. Giersig, and T. Ung, “Silica encapsulation of quantum dots and metal clusters,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1259–1270, 2000.
- Y. Yang and M. Gao, “Preparation of fluorescent SiO2 particles with single CdTe nanocrystal cores by the reverse microemulsion method,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 2354–2357, 2005.
- D. Gerion, F. Pinaud, S. C. Williams et al., “Synthesis and properties of biocompatible water-soluble silica-coated CdSe/ZnS semiconductor quantum dots,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 37, pp. 8861–8871, 2001.
- W. J. Parak, D. Gerion, T. Pellegrino et al., “Biological applications of colloidal nanocrystals,” Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. R15–R27, 2003.
- F. Tamanoi, J. Lu, M. Liong, Z. Li, and J. I. Zink, “Biocompatibility, biodistribution, and drug-delivery efficiency of mesoporous silica nanoparticles for cancer therapy in animals,” Small, vol. 6, no. 16, pp. 1794–1805, 2010.
- C. Chang, S. H. Wu, Y. S. Lin et al., “Multifunctional mesoporous silica nanoparticles for intracellular labeling and animal magnetic resonance imaging studies,” ChemBioChem, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 2008.
- D. Wang, J. Qian, F. Cai, S. He, S. Han, and Y. Mu, “‘Green’-synthesized near-infrared PbS quantum dots with silica-PEG dual-layer coating: ultrastable and biocompatible optical probes for in vivo animal imaging,” Nanotechnology, vol. 23, no. 24, pp. 245701–245702, 2012.
- P. Pericleous, M. Gazouli, A. Lyberopoulou, S. Rizos, N. Nikiteas, and E. P. Efstathopoulos, “Quantum dots hold promise for early cancer imaging and detection,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 519–528, 2012.
- D. Richards and A. Ivanisevic, “Inorganic material coatings and their effect on cytotoxicity,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 2052–2060, 2012.
- C. V. Durgadas, K. Sreenivasan, and C. P. Sharma, “Bright blue emitting CuSe/ZnS/silica core/shell/shell quantum dots and their biocompatibility,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 27, pp. 6420–6429, 2012.
- S. T. Selvanb, “Silica-coated quantum dots and magnetic nanoparticles for bioimaging applications (Mini-Review),” Biointerphases, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. FA110–FA115, 2010.
- M. Ohmori and E. Matijević, “Preparation and properties of uniform coated inorganic colloidal particles. 8. Silica on iron,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 288–292, 1993.
- L. M. Liz-Marzán and A. P. Philipse, “Synthesis and optical properties of gold-labeled silica particles,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 459–466, 1995.
- A. Guerrero-Martínez, J. Pérez-Juste, and L. M. Liz-Marzán, “Recent progress on silica coating of nanoparticles and related nanomaterials,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1182–1195, 2010.
- L. M. Liz-Marzán, M. Giersig, and P. Mulvaney, “Homogeneous silica coating of vitreophobic colloids,” Chemical Communications, no. 6, pp. 731–732, 1996.
- L. M. Liz-Marzán, M. Giersig, and P. Mulvaney, “Synthesis of nanosized gold-silica core-shell particles,” Langmuir, vol. 12, no. 18, pp. 4329–4335, 1996.
- L. Chen, C. Chen, R. Li, Y. Li, and S. Liu, “CdTe quantum dot functionalized silica nanosphere labels for ultrasensitive detection of biomarker,” Chemical Communications, no. 19, pp. 2670–2672, 2009.
- T. T. Tan, S. T. Selvan, L. Zhao, S. Gao, and J. Y. Ying, “Size control, shape evolution, and silica coating of near-infrared-emitting PbSe quantum dots,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 3112–3117, 2007.
- S. T. Selvan, T. T. Tan, and J. Y. Ying, “Robust, non-cytotoxic, silica-coated CdSe quantum dots with efficient photoluminescence,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 13, pp. 1620–1625, 2005.
- D. K. Yi, S. T. Selvan, S. S. Lee, G. C. Papaefthymiou, D. Kundaliya, and J. Y. Ying, “Silica-coated nanocomposites of magnetic nanoparticles and quantum dots,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 14, pp. 4990–4991, 2005.
- S. T. Selvan, T. T. Y. Tan, D. K. Yi, and N. R. Jana, “Functional and multifunctional nanoparticles for bioimaging and biosensing,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 14, pp. 11631–11641, 2010.
- E. Pöselt, C. Schmidtke, S. Fischer, et al., “Tailor-made quantum dot and iron oxide based contrast agents for in vitro and in vivo tumor,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 3346–3353, 2012.
- W. Liu, H. S. Choi, J. P. Zimmer, E. Tanaka, J. V. Frangioni, and M. Bawendi, “Compact cysteine-coated CdSe(ZnCdS) quantum dots for in vivo applications,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 129, no. 47, pp. 14530–14531, 2007.
- H. S. Choi, W. Liu, P. Misra et al., “Renal clearance of quantum dots,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1165–1170, 2007.
- B. Tian, W. T. Al-Jamal, J. V. Bossche, and K. Kostarelos, “Design and engineering of multifunctional quantum dot-based nanoparticles for simultaneous therapeutic-diagnostic applications,” Nanostructure Science and Technology, part 4, pp. 345–365, 2012.
- S. B. Lowe, J. A. G. . Dick, B. E. Cohen, and M. M. Stevens, “Multiplex sensing of protease and kinase enzyme activity via orthogonal coupling of quantum dot-peptide conjugates,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 851–857, 2012.
- K. T. Yong, H. Ding, I. Roy et al., “Imaging pancreatic cancer using bioconjugated inp quantum dots,” ACS Nano, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 502–510, 2009.
- H. S. Choi, B. I. Ipe, P. Misra, J. H. Lee, M. G. Bawendi, and J. V. Frangioni, “Tissue- and organ-selective biodistribution of NIR fluorescent quantum dots,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 2354–2359, 2009.
- X. Yu, L. Chen, Y. Deng et al., “Fluorescence analysis with quantum dot probes for hepatoma under one- and two-photon excitation,” Journal of Fluorescence, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 243–247, 2007.
- D. K. Tiwari, S. I. Tanaka, Y. Inouye, K. Yoshizawa, T. M. Watanabe, and T. Jin, “Synthesis and characterization of anti-HER2 antibody conjugated CdSe/CdZnS quantum dots for fluorescence imaging of breast cancer cells,” Sensors, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 9332–9354, 2009.
- Z. Li, P. Huang, R. He, et al., “Aptamer-conjugated dendrimer-modified quantum dots for cancer cell targeting and imaging,” Materials Letters, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 375–378, 2010.
- D. A. Geraldo, E. F. Duran-Lara, D. Aguayo et al., “Supramolecular complexes of quantum dots and a polyamidoamine (PAMAM)-folate derivative for molecular imaging of cancer cells,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 400, no. 2, pp. 483–492, 2011.
- M. Akin, R. Bongartz, J. G. Walter, et al., “PAMAM-functionalized water soluble quantum dots for cancer cell targeting,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 23, pp. 11529–11536, 2012.
- T. Jin, F. Fujii, Y. Komai, J. Seki, A. Seiyama, and Y. Yoshioka, “Preparation and characterization of highly fluorescent, glutathione-coated near infrared quantum dots for in vivo fluorescence imaging,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 2044–2061, 2008.
- M. Han, X. Gao, J. Z. Su, and S. Nie, “Quantum-dot-tagged microbeads for multiplexed optical coding of biomolecules,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 631–635, 2001.
- G. Wang, P. Zhang, H. Dou, et al., “Efficient incorporation of quantum dots into porous microspheres through a solvent-evaporation approach,” Langmuir, vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 6141–6150, 2012.
- D. Wang, A. L. Rogach, and F. Caruso, “Semiconductor quantum dot-labeled microsphere bioconjugates prepared by stepwise self-assembly,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 857–861, 2002.
- M. Adamczaka, H. J. Hoelb, G. Gaudernackb, J. Barbasza, K. Szczepanowicza, and P. Warszyńskia, “Polyelectrolyte multilayer capsules with quantum dots for biomedical applications,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 211–216, 2012.
- Z. Zhelev, H. Ohba, and R. Bakalova, “Single quantum dot-micelles coated with silica shell as potentially non-cytotoxic fluorescent cell tracers,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 19, pp. 6324–6325, 2006.
- P. Zhang, Y. He, Z. Ruan, F. F. Chen, and J. Yang, “Fabrication of quantum dots-encoded microbeads with a simple capillary fluidic device and their application for biomolecule detection,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 385, no. 1, pp. 8–14, 2012.
- Q. Yang, Y. Li, T. Song, and J. Chang, “Facile single step preparation of high-performance quantum dot barcodes,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 14, pp. 7043–7049, 2012.
- J. Lee, Y. Choi, K. Kim et al., “Characterization and cancer cell specific binding properties of anti-EGFR antibody conjugated quantum dots,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 940–946, 2010.
- T. Pellegrino, L. Manna, S. Kudera et al., “Hydrophobic nanocrystals coated with an amphiphilic polymer shell: a general route to water soluble nanocrystals,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 703–707, 2004.
- N. Travert-Branger, F. Dubois, O. Carion et al., “Oligomeric PEG-phospholipids for solubilization and stabilization of fluorescent nanocrystals in water,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 3016–3019, 2008.
- J. Liu, X. Yang, K. Wang, et al., “Single nanoparticle imaging and characterization of different phospholipid-encapsulated quantum dot micelles,” Langmuir, vol. 28, no. 28, pp. 10602–10609, 2012.
- N. Travert-Branger, F. Dubois, J. P. Renault et al., “In situ electron-beam polymerization stabilized quantum dot micelles,” Langmuir, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 4358–4361, 2011.
- B. Dubertret, P. Skourides, D. J. Norris, V. Noireaux, A. H. Brivanlou, and A. Libchaber, “In vivo imaging of quantum dots encapsulated in phospholipid micelles,” Science, vol. 298, no. 5599, pp. 1759–1762, 2002.
- R. Hu, K. T. Yong, I. Roy, et al., “Functionalized near-infrared quantum dots for in vivo tumor vasculature imaging,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 14, Article ID 145105, 2010.
- F. Erogbogbo, K. T. Yong, R. Hu et al., “Biocompatible magnetofluorescent probes: luminescent silicon quantum dots coupled with superparamagnetic iron(III) oxide,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 5131–5138, 2010.
- D. P. Cormode, T. Skajaa, M. M. Van Schooneveld et al., “Nanocrystal core high-density lipoproteins: a multimodality contrast agent platform,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 3715–3723, 2008.
- O. Carion, B. Mahler, T. Pons, and B. Dubertret, “Synthesis, encapsulation, purification and coupling of single quantum dots in phospholipid micelles for their use in cellular and in vivo imaging,” Nature Protocols, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 2383–2390, 2007.
- R. Koole, M. M. Van Schooneveld, J. Hilhorst et al., “Paramagnetic lipid-coated silica nanoparticles with a fluorescent quantum dot core: a new contrast agent platform for multimodality imaging,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 2471–2479, 2008.
- K. T. Yong, “Biophotonics and biotechnology in pancreatic cancer: cyclic RGD-peptide-conjugated type II quantum dots for in vivo imaging,” Pancreatology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 553–564, 2010.
- K. T. Yong, I. Roy, W. C. Law, and R. Hu, “Synthesis of cRGD-peptide conjugated near-infrared CdTe/ZnSe core-shell quantum dots for in vivo cancer targeting and imaging,” Chemical Communications, vol. 46, no. 38, pp. 7136–7138, 2010.
- V. V. Klimov, M. Ducloy, and V. S. Letokhov, “Strong interaction between a two-level atom and the whispering-gallery modes of a dielectric microsphere: quantum-mechanical consideration,” Physical Review A, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 2996–3014, 1999.
- J. N. Cha, M. H. Bartl, M. S. Wong, A. Popitsch, T. J. Deming, and G. D. Stucky, “Microcavity lasing from block peptide hierarchically assembled quantum dot spherical resonators,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 907–911, 2003.
- X. Fan, M. C. Lonergan, Y. Zhang, and H. Wang, “Enhanced spontaneous emission from semiconductor nanocrystals embedded in whispering gallery optical microcavities,” Physical Review B, vol. 64, no. 11, Article ID 115310, 5 pages, 2001.
- W. Sheng, S. Kim, J. Lee, S. W. Kim, K. Jensen, and M. G. Bawendi, “In-situ encapsulation of quantum dots into polymer microspheres,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 3782–3790, 2006.