- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 145380, 12 pages
Antioxidant Effects of Quercetin and Catechin Encapsulated into PLGA Nanoparticles
1Departamento de Investigación y Posgrado en Alimentos, Facultad de Química, Universidad Autónoma de Queretaro, 76010 Queretaro, Mexico
2Laboratorio de Posgrado en Tecnología Farmacéutica, División de Estudios de Posgrado, Facultad de Estudios Superiores Cuautitlán, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Cuautitlán Izcalli, 54740 Estado de México, Mexico
3Departamento de Materiales Bio-orgánicos, Centro de Investigación y Estudios Avanzados del Instituto Politécnico Nacional, Unidad Queretaro, 76230 Queretaro, Mexico
4Laboratorio de Radicais Livres e Estados Excitados en Sistemas Biologicos, Departamento de Bioquímica, Universidade de São Paulo, 05508-000 São Paulo, Brazil
5Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo Tecnológico en Electroquímica S.C., Pedro Escobedo, 76703 Querétaro, Mexico
Received 10 January 2012; Revised 5 July 2012; Accepted 9 July 2012
Academic Editor: Marinella Striccoli
Copyright © 2012 Hector Pool et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. C. Akoh and D. B. Min, Food Lipids: Chemistry, Nutrition, and Biotechnology, CRC, 2008.
- D. B. Min and J. M. Boff, “Lipid oxidation of edible oil,” in Food Lipids: Chemistry, Nutrition, and Biotechnology, pp. 335–364, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- S. Seki, T. Kitada, T. Yamada, H. Sakaguchi, K. Nakatani, and K. Wakasa, “In situ detection of lipid peroxidation and oxidative DNA damage in non-alcoholic fatty liver diseases,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2002.
- J. W. Baynes and S. R. Thorpe, “Role of oxidative stress in diabetic complications: a new perspective on an old paradigm,” Diabetes, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1999.
- H. Bartsch and J. Nair, “Oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation-derived DNA-lesions in inflammation driven carcinogenesis,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 385–391, 2004.
- M. D. Gross, “Lipids, oxidation, and cardiovascular disease,” in Atherosclerosis and Oxidant Stress, pp. 79–95, Springer, 2008.
- J. Vercellotti, A. J. S. Angelo, and A. M. Spanier, “Lipid oxidation in foods,” in Lipid Oxidation in Food, vol. 500, pp. 1–11, American Chemical Society, 1992.
- B. Halliwell, S. Chirico, M. A. Crawford, K. S. Bjerve, and K. F. Gey, “Lipid peroxidation: its mechanism, measurement, and significance,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 715S–724S, 1993.
- G. Galati and P. J. O'Brien, “Potential toxicity of flavonoids and other dietary phenolics: significance for their chemopreventive and anticancer properties,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 287–303, 2004.
- I. Erlund, “Review of the flavonoids quercetin, hesperetin, and naringenin. Dietary sources, bioactivities, bioavailability, and epidemiology,” Nutrition Research, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 851–874, 2004.
- L. H. Yao, Y. M. Jiang, J. Shi et al., “Flavonoids in food and their health benefits,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 113–122, 2004.
- M. Friedman, “Overview of antibacterial, antitoxin, antiviral, and antifungal activities of tea flavonoids and teas,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 116–134, 2007.
- P. Ader, A. Wessmann, and S. Wolffram, “Bioavailability and metabolism of the flavonol quercetin in the pig,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1056–1067, 2000.
- L. Bell, “Stability testing of nutraceuticals and functional foods,” in Handbook of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods, pp. 501–516, CRC Press, 2001.
- G. S. Borghetti, I. S. Lula, R. D. Sinisterra, and V. L. Bassani, “Quercetin/β-Cyclodextrin solid complexes prepared in aqueous solution followed by spray-drying or by physical mixture,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 235–242, 2009.
- A. Barras, A. Mezzetti, A. Richard et al., “Formulation and characterization of polyphenol-loaded lipid nanocapsules,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 379, no. 2, pp. 270–277, 2009.
- J. Weiss, E. A. Decker, D. J. McClements, K. Kristbergsson, T. Helgason, and T. Awad, “Solid lipid nanoparticles as delivery systems for bioactive food components,” Food Biophysics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 146–154, 2008.
- R. Alvarez-Román, G. Barré, R. H. Guya, and H. Fessi, “Biodegradable polymer nanocapsules containing a sunscreen agent: preparation and photoprotection,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 191–195, 2001.
- H. Fessi, F. Piusieux, J. P. Devissaguet, N. Ammoury, and S. Benita, “Nanocapsule formation by interfacial polymer deposition following solvent displacement,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. R1–R4, 1989.
- L. Mora, K. Y. Chumbimuni-Torres, C. Clawson, L. Hernandez, L. Zhang, and J. Wang, “Real-time electrochemical monitoring of drug release from therapeutic nanoparticles,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 69–73, 2009.
- R. C. MacDonald, R. I. MacDonald, B. P. M. Menco, K. Takeshita, N. K. Subbarao, and L. R. Hu, “Small-volume extrusion apparatus for preparation of large, unilamellar vesicles,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1061, no. 2, pp. 297–303, 1991.
- H. A. Morais, L. M. De Marco, M. C. Oliveira, and M. P. C. Silvestre, “Casein hydrolysates using papain: peptide profile and encapsulation in liposomes,” Acta Alimentaria, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 59–69, 2005.
- I. B. Afanas'ev, A. I. Dorozhko, A. V. Brodskii, V. A. Kostyuk, and A. I. Potapovitch, “Chelating and free radical scavenging mechanisms of inhibitory action of rutin and quercetin in lipid peroxidation,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1763–1769, 1989.
- M. A. Ebrahimzadeh, S. M. Nabavi, and S. F. Nabavi, “Correlation between the in vitro iron chelating activity and poly phenol and flavonoid contents of some medicinal plants,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 934–938, 2009.
- F. Ahsan, I. P. Rivas, M. A. Khan, and A. I. Torres Suárez, “Targeting to macrophages: role of physicochemical properties of particulate carriers—liposomes and microspheres—on the phagocytosis by macrophages,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 79, no. 1-3, pp. 29–40, 2002.
- S. Galindo-Rodriguez, E. Allémann, H. Fessi, and E. Doelker, “Physicochemical parameters associated with nanoparticle formation in the salting-out, emulsification-diffusion, and nanoprecipitation methods,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1428–1439, 2004.
- X. Song, Y. Zhao, S. Hou et al., “Dual agents loaded PLGA nanoparticles: systematic study of particle size and drug entrapment efficiency,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 445–453, 2008.
- X. Song, Y. Zhao, W. Wu et al., “PLGA nanoparticles simultaneously loaded with vincristine sulfate and verapamil hydrochloride: systematic study of particle size and drug entrapment efficiency,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 350, no. 1-2, pp. 320–329, 2008.
- O. I. Corrigan and X. Li, “Quantifying drug release from PLGA nanoparticulates,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 37, no. 3-4, pp. 477–485, 2009.
- C. E. Astete and C. M. Sabliov, “Synthesis and characterization of PLGA nanoparticles,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 247–289, 2006.
- L. Qi, Z. Xu, X. Jiang, C. Hu, and X. Zou, “Preparation and antibacterial activity of chitosan nanoparticles,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 339, no. 16, pp. 2693–2700, 2004.
- J. Hu, K. P. Johnston, and R. O. Williams, “Nanoparticle engineering processes for enhancing the dissolution rates of poorly water soluble drugs,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 233–245, 2004.
- A. Kumari, S. K. Yadav, Y. B. Pakade, B. Singh, and S. C. Yadav, “Development of biodegradable nanoparticles for delivery of quercetin,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 184–192, 2010.
- R. M. Mainardes and R. C. Evangelista, “PLGA nanoparticles containing praziquantel: effect of formulation variables on size distribution,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 290, no. 1-2, pp. 137–144, 2005.
- H. Eerikäinen and E. I. Kauppinen, “Preparation of polymeric nanoparticles containing corticosteroid by a novel aerosol flow reactor method,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 263, no. 1-2, pp. 69–83, 2003.
- S. Olejniczak and M. J. Potrzebowski, “Solid state NMR studies and density functional theory (DFT) calculations of conformers of quercetin,” Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 16, pp. 2315–2322, 2004.
- K. Dias, S. Nikolaou, and W. F. De Giovani, “Synthesis and spectral investigation of Al(III) catechin/β-cyclodextrin and Al(III) quercetin/β-cyclodextrin inclusion compounds,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 154–161, 2008.
- A. R. Dudhani and S. L. Kosaraju, “Bioadhesive chitosan nanoparticles: preparation and characterization,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 243–251, 2010.
- M. Holzer, V. Vogel, W. Mäntele, D. Schwartz, W. Haase, and K. Langer, “Physico-chemical characterisation of PLGA nanoparticles after freeze-drying and storage,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 428–437, 2009.
- R. M. Mainardes, M. P. D. Gremião, and R. C. Evangelista, “Thermoanalytical study of praziquantel-loaded PLGA nanoparticles,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 523–530, 2006.
- M. D. Blanco and M. J. Alonso, “Development and characterization of protein-loaded poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanospheres,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 287–294, 1997.
- S. A. Joshi, S. S. Chavhan, and K. K. Sawant, “Rivastigmine-loaded PLGA and PBCA nanoparticles: preparation, optimization, characterization, in vitro and pharmacodynamic studies,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 189–199, 2010.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Yang, K. Tang, X. Hu, and G. Zou, “Physicochemical characterization and antioxidant activity of quercetin-loaded chitosan nanoparticles,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 891–897, 2008.
- T. H. Wu, F. L. Yen, L. T. Lin, T. R. Tsai, C. C. Lin, and T. M. Cham, “Preparation, physicochemical characterization, and antioxidant effects of quercetin nanoparticles,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 346, no. 1-2, pp. 160–168, 2008.
- Y. M. Chen, M. K. Wang, and P. M. Huang, “Catechin transformation as influenced by aluminum,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 212–218, 2006.
- M. L. Calabrò, S. Tommasini, P. Donato et al., “Effects of α- and β-cyclodextrin complexation on the physico-chemical properties and antioxidant activity of some 3-hydroxyflavones,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 365–377, 2004.
- M. M. Ramos-Tejada, J. D. G. Durán, A. Ontiveros-Ortega, M. Espinosa-Jimenez, R. Perea-Carpio, and E. Chibowski, “Investigation of alumina/(+)-catechin system properties. Part I: a study of the system by FTIR-UV-Vis spectroscopy,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 24, no. 3-4, pp. 297–308, 2002.
- C. Gómez-Gaete, N. Tsapis, M. Besnard, A. Bochot, and E. Fattal, “Encapsulation of dexamethasone into biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 331, no. 2, pp. 153–159, 2007.
- J. Y. Yoo, J. M. Kim, K. S. Seo, Y. K. Jeong, H. B. Lee, and G. Khang, “Characterization of degradation behavior for PLGA in various pH condition by simple liquid chromatography method,” Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 279–288, 2005.
- B. Havsteen, “Flavonoids, a class of natural products of high pharmacological potency,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1141–1148, 1983.
- M. A. Anagnostopoulou, P. Kefalas, V. P. Papageorgiou, A. N. Assimopoulou, and D. Boskou, “Radical scavenging activity of various extracts and fractions of sweet orange peel (Citrus sinensis),” Food Chemistry, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 2006.
- W. Bors, W. Heller, C. Michel, and M. Saran, “Flavonoids as antioxidants: determination of radical-scavenging efficiencies,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 186, pp. 343–355, 1990.
- W. Chaiyasit, R. J. Elias, D. J. McClements, and E. A. Decker, “Role of physical structures in bulk oils on lipid oxidation,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 299–317, 2007.
- B. Halliwell, M. A. Murcia, S. Chirico, and O. I. Aruoma, “Free radicals and antioxidants in food and in vivo: what they do and how they work,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 35, no. 1-2, pp. 7–20, 1995.
- T. M. McIntyre and S. L. Hazen, “Lipid oxidation and cardiovascular disease: introduction to a review series,” Circulation Research, vol. 107, no. 10, pp. 1167–1169, 2010.
- K. E. Heim, A. R. Tagliaferro, and D. J. Bobilya, “Flavonoid antioxidants: chemistry, metabolism and structure-activity relationships,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 572–584, 2002.
- S. A. B. E. Van Acker, D. J. Van Den Berg, M. N. J. L. Tromp et al., “Structural aspects of antioxidant activity of flavonoids,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 331–342, 1996.