- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 173025, 7 pages
Technical Barriers and Development of Cu Wirebonding in Nanoelectronics Device Packaging
1Spansion (Penang) Sdn Bhd, Phase II Free Industrial Zone, Penang, 119900 Bayan Lepas, Malaysia
2Institute of Nanoelectronic Engineering (INEE), Universiti Malaysia Perlis, Perlis, 01000 Kangar, Malaysia
Received 26 May 2012; Accepted 30 July 2012
Academic Editor: Fathallah Karimzadeh
Copyright © 2012 C. L. Gan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Gan, T. T. Toong, C. O. Lim, and C. Y. Ng, “Environmental friendly package development by using copper wirebonding,” in Proceedings of the 34th International Electronics Manufacturing Technology Conference (IEMT '10), December 2010.
- L. Charlie, “The challenges of copper wire bonding,” in Proceedings of the 1st IEEE CPMT IMPACT, 2010.
- G. G. Harman, Wirebonding in Microelectronic: Materials, Processes, Reliability, and Yield, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- C. W. Tan, A. R. Daud, and M. A. Yarmo, “Corrosion study at Cu-Al interface in microelectronics packaging,” Journal of Applied Surface Science, vol. 191, no. 1–4, pp. 67–73, 2002.
- C. D. Breach and T. K. Lee, “Conjecture on the chemical stability and corrosion resistance of Cu-Al and Au-Al intermetallics in ball bonds,” in Proceedings of the IEEE CPMT ICEPT-HDP, 2011.
- T. Boettcher, M. Rother, S. Liedtke et al., “On the intermetallic corrosion of Cu-Al wire bonds,” in Proceedings of the 12th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference (EPTC '10), pp. 585–590, December 2010.
- K. J. Chan, “Challenges of Cu wirebonding in low k/ Cu wafers with BOA structure,” in Proceedings of the 60th IEEE CPMT ECTC, 2010.
- C. L. Chee, “Challenges of 43um Cu bonding on very thin & Al bondpad structure,” in Proceedings of the 60th IEEE CPMT ECTC, 2010.
- C. W. Tan and M. A. Yarmo, “Cratering on thermosonic copper wire ball bonding,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 283–287, 2002.
- P. Su, “An evaluation of effects of molding compound properties on reliability of Cu wire components,” in Proceedings of the 61st IEEE CPMT ECTC, 2011.
- L. J. Tang, H. M. Ho, W. Koh et al., “Pitfalls and solutions of replacing gold wire with palladium coated copper wire in IC wire bonding,” in Proceedings of the 61st Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC '11), pp. 1673–1678, June 2011.
- K. Y. Yow and P. L. Eu, “Cu wire bond reliability improvement through focused heat treatment after bonding,” in Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE/CPMT International Electronics Manufacturing Technology Conference (IEMT '08), November 2008.
- K. Y. Yow and P. L. Eu, “Focused heat treatment after bonding for Cu wire bond reliability improvement,” in Proceedings of the 10th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference (EPTC '08), pp. 965–970, December 2008.
- C. J. Hang, C. Q. Wang, M. Mayer, Y. H. Tian, Y. Zhou, and H. H. Wang, “Growth behavior of Cu/Al intermetallic compounds and cracks in copper ball bonds during isothermal aging,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 416–424, 2008.
- H. J. Kim, J. Y. Lee, K. W. Paik et al., “Effects of Cu/Al intermetallic compound (IMC) on copper wire and aluminum pad bondability,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 367–374, 2003.
- M. Drozdov, G. Gur, Z. Atzmon, and W. D. Kaplan, “Detailed investigation of ultrasonic Al-Cu wire-bonds—II. Microstructural evolution during annealing,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 43, no. 18, pp. 6038–6048, 2008.
- H. Xu, C. Liu, V. V. Silberschmidt, S. S. Pramana, T. J. White, and Z. Chen, “A re-examination of the mechanism of thermosonic copper ball bonding on aluminium metallization pads,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 165–168, 2009.
- J. Chen, D. Degryse, P. Ratchev, and I. De Wolf, “Mechanical issues of Cu-to-Cu wire bonding,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 539–545, 2004.
- M. K. Md Arshad, I. Ahmad, A. Jalar, G. Omar, and U. Hashim, “The effects of multiple zincation process on aluminum bond pad surface for electroless nickel immersion gold deposition,” Journal of Electronic Packaging, Transactions of the ASME, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 246–250, 2006.
- JEDEC Specification JESD22A-118A, “Accelerated moisture resistance—Unbiased HAST Test,” 2011.
- T. Uno, “Bond reliability under humid environment for coated copper wire and bare copper wire,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 148–156, 2011.
- Z. W. Zhong, “Overview of wire bonding using copper wire or insulated wire,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 4–12, 2011.
- C. D. Breach, “What is the future of bonding wire? Will copper entirely replace gold?” Gold Bulletin, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 150–168, 2010.
- C. C. Lee, “Challenges of Pd-Coated Cu wirebonding on C65 Al bondpad low k/ Cu wafers with BOA structure,” in Proceedings of the 13th IEEE CPMT EPTC, 2010.