- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 265161, 7 pages
Characterization and Antiproliferative Activity of Nobiletin-Loaded Chitosan Nanoparticles
1Centro de Investigación en Alimentación y Desarrollo AC, Coordinación Regional Guaymas, Carret. al Varadero Nacional Km 6.6, 85480 Guaymas, SON, Mexico
2Centro de Investigación en Alimentación y Desarrollo AC, Coordinación Hermosillo, Carret. a la Victoria Km 0.6, 83304 Hermosillo, SON, Mexico
3Institut für Biologie und Biotechnologie der Pflanzen, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universtät-Münster, 48149 Münster, Germany
4Departamento de Física, Universidad de Sonora, 83000 Hermosillo, SON, Mexico
5Laboratorio de Investigación en Bioactivos y Alimentos Funcionales, Rubio Pharma y Asociados S.A. de C.V., 83210 Hermosillo, SON, Mexico
6Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán, 97200 Mérida, YUC, Mexico
Received 6 June 2012; Revised 20 August 2012; Accepted 21 August 2012
Academic Editor: Fathallah Karimzadeh
Copyright © 2012 Ana G. Luque-Alcaraz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. R. Beecher, “Overview of dietary flavonoids: nomenclature, occurrence and intake,” The Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 10, pp. 3248S–3254S, 2003.
- Z. Yi, Y. Yu, Y. Liang, and B. Zeng, “In vitro antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the extract of Pericarpium Citri Reticulatae of a new Citrus cultivar and its main flavonoids,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 597–603, 2008.
- H. Xiao, C. S. Yang, S. Li, H. Jin, C. T. Ho, and T. Patel, “Monodemethylated polymethoxyflavones from sweet orange (Citrus sinensis) peel inhibit growth of human lung cancer cells by apoptosis,” Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 398–406, 2009.
- W. Wang and M. T. Goodman, “Antioxidant property of dietary phenolic agents in a human LDL-oxidation ex vivo model: interaction of protein binding activity,” Nutrition Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 191–202, 1999.
- T. H. Wu, F. L. Yen, L. T. Lin, T. R. Tsai, C. C. Lin, and T. M. Cham, “Preparation, physicochemical characterization, and antioxidant effects of quercetin nanoparticles,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 346, no. 1-2, pp. 160–168, 2008.
- K. Kunimasa, S. Kuranuki, N. Matsuura et al., “Identification of nobiletin, a polymethoxyflavonoid, as an enhancer of adiponectin secretion,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 2062–2064, 2009.
- Y. Q. Wu, C. H. Zhou, J. Tao, and S. N. Li, “Antagonistic effects of nobiletin, a polymethoxyflavonoid, on eosinophilic airway inflammation of asthmatic rats and relevant mechanisms,” Life Sciences, vol. 78, no. 23, pp. 2689–2696, 2006.
- Y. Miyata, H. Tanaka, A. Shimada et al., “Regulation of adipocytokine secretion and adipocyte hypertrophy by polymethoxyflavonoids, nobiletin and tangeretin,” Life Sciences, vol. 88, no. 13-14, pp. 613–618, 2011.
- K. Kunimasa, M. Ikekita, M. Sato et al., “Nobiletin, a citrus polymethoxyflavonoid, suppresses multiple angiogenesis-related endothelial cell functions and angiogenesis in vivo,” Cancer Science, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 2462–2469, 2010.
- H. K. Rooprai, A. Kandanearatchi, S. L. Maidment et al., “Evaluation of the effects of swainsonine, captopril, tangeretin and nobiletin on the biological behaviour of brain tumour cells in vitro,” Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 29–39, 2001.
- Q. Du and H. Chen, “The methoxyflavones in Citrus reticulata Blanco cv. ponkan and their antiproliferative activity against cancer cells,” Food Chemistry, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 567–572, 2010.
- H. Kim, J. Y. Moon, A. Mosaddik, and S. K. Cho, “Induction of apoptosis in human cervical carcinoma HeLa cells by polymethoxylated flavone-rich Citrus grandis Osbeck (Dangyuja) leaf extract,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 8-9, pp. 2435–2442, 2010.
- T. Pralhad and K. Rajendrakumar, “Study of freeze-dried quercetin-cyclodextrin binary systems by DSC, FT-IR, X-ray diffraction and SEM analysis,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 333–339, 2004.
- C. S. S. R. Kumar, Ed., Biological and Pharmaceutical Nanomaterials, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2006.
- A. C. H. Barreto, V. R. Santiago, S. E. Mazzetto et al., “Magnetic nanoparticles for a new drug delivery system to control quercetin releasing for cancer chemotherapy,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 6545–6553, 2011.
- G. A. F. Roberts, Chitin Chemistry, The Macmillan Press, London, UK, 1st edition, 1992.
- S. Hirano, H. Tsuchida, and N. Nagao, “N-acetylation in chitosan and the rate of its enzymic hydrolysis,” Biomaterials, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 574–576, 1989.
- S. Aiba, “Studies on chitosan: 4. Lysozymic hydrolysis of partially N-acetylated chitosans,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 225–228, 1992.
- M. N. V. R. Kumar, R. A. A. Muzzarelli, C. Muzzarelli, H. Sashiwa, and A. J. Domb, “Chitosan chemistry and pharmaceutical perspectives,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 104, no. 12, pp. 6017–6084, 2004.
- H. Sashiwa and S. I. Aiba, “Chemically modified chitin and chitosan as biomaterials,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 887–908, 2004.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Yang, K. Tang, X. Hu, and G. Zou, “Physicochemical characterization and antioxidant activity of quercetin-loaded chitosan nanoparticles,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 891–897, 2008.
- M. Rinaudo, M. Milas, and P. le Dung, “Characterization of chitosan. Influence of ionic strength and degree of acetylation on chain expansion,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 281–285, 1993.
- I. Horcas, R. Fernández, J. M. Gómez-Rodríguez, J. Colchero, J. Gómez-Herrero, and A. M. Baro, “WSXM: a software for scanning probe microscopy and a tool for nanotechnology,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 78, no. 1, Article ID 013705, 8 pages, 2007.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- A. Luque-Alcaraz, J. Lizardi, F. M. Goycoolea, M. Valdez, I. Higuera-Ciapara, and W. Argüelles-Monal, “Preparation of chitosan nanoparticles by nanoprecipitation,” Colloid and Polymer Science. In press.
- U. Bilati, E. Allémann, and E. Doelker, “Development of a nanoprecipitation method intended for the entrapment of hydrophilic drugs into nanoparticles,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 2005.
- J. A. Manthey, “Fourier transform infrared spectroscopic analysis of the polymethoxylated flavone content of orange oil residues,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 3215–3218, 2006.
- X. Meng, L. A. Munishkina, A. L. Fink, and V. N. Uversky, “Molecular mechanisms underlying the flavonoid-induced inhibition of α-synuclein fibrillation,” Biochemistry, vol. 48, no. 34, pp. 8206–8224, 2009.