- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 269064, 5 pages
Effect of Alumina Dopant on Transparency of Tetragonal Zirconia
1Advanced Materials Processing Unit, National Institute for Materials Science, 1-2-1 Sengen, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0047, Japan
2Global Research Center for Environment and Energy based on Nanomaterials Science (GREEN), National Institute for Materials Science, 1-1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0044, Japan
Received 28 October 2012; Accepted 15 December 2012
Academic Editor: Xijin Xu
Copyright © 2012 Haibin Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Chevalier, L. Gremillard, A. V. Virkar, and D. R. Clarke, “The tetragonal-monoclinic transformation in zirconia: lessons learned and future trends,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 1901–1920, 2009.
- J. Klimke, M. Trunec, and A. Krell, “Transparent tetragonal yttria-stabilized zirconia ceramics: influence of scattering caused by birefringence,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 1850–1858, 2011.
- P. Duran, P. Recio, J. R. Jurado, C. Pascual, and C. Moure, “Preparation, sintering, and properties of translucent Er2O3-doped tetragonal zirconia,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 72, no. 11, pp. 2088–2093, 1989.
- S. R. Casolco, J. Xu, and J. E. Garay, “Transparent/translucent polycrystalline nanostructured yttria stabilized zirconia with varying colors,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 516–519, 2008.
- U. Anselmi-Tamburini, J. N. Woolman, and Z. A. Munir, “Transparent nanometric cubic and tetragonal zirconia obtained by high-pressure pulsed electric current sintering,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 17, no. 16, pp. 3267–3273, 2007.
- H. B. Zhang, Z. P. Li, B. N. Kim, et al., “Highly infrared transparent nanometric tetragonal zirconia prepared by high-pressure spark plasma sintering,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 2739–2741, 2011.
- K. Matsui, T. Yamakawa, M. Uehara, N. Enomoto, and J. Hojo, “Mechanism of alumina-enhanced sintering of fine zirconia powder: influence of alumina concentration on the initial stage sintering,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 1888–1897, 2008.
- Y. Sakka, T. Ishii, T. S. Suzuki, K. Morita, and K. Hiraga, “Fabrication of high-strain rate superplastic yttria-doped zirconia polycrystals by adding manganese and aluminum oxides,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 449–453, 2004.
- X. Guo and R. Waser, “Electrical properties of the grain boundaries of oxygen ion conductors: acceptor-doped zirconia and ceria,” Progress in Materials Science, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 151–210, 2006.
- K. Matsui, N. Ohmichi, M. Ogai, H. Yoshida, and Y. Ikuhara, “Effect of alumina-doping on grain boundary segregation-induced phase transformation in yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia polycrystal,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 2278–2289, 2006.
- H. Tsubakino, R. Nozato, and M. Hamamoto, “Effect of alumina addition on the tetragonal-to-monoclinic phase transformation in zirconia-3 mol% yttria,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 440–443, 1991.
- S. N. B. Hodgson, J. Cawley, and M. Clubley, “Role of Al2O3 impurities on the microstructure and properties of Y-TZP,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 92-93, pp. 85–90, 1999.
- I. M. Ross, W. M. Rainforth, D. W. McComb, A. J. Scott, and R. Brydson, “The role of trace additions of alumina to yttria-tetragonal zirconia polycrystals (Y-TZP),” Scripta Materialia, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 653–660, 2001.
- A. Krell, T. Hutzler, and J. Klimke, “Transmission physics and consequences for materials selection, manufacturing, and applications,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 207–221, 2009.
- B. N. Kim, K. Hiraga, K. Morita, H. Yoshida, T. Miyazaki, and Y. Kagawa, “Microstructure and optical properties of transparent alumina,” Acta Materialia, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1319–1326, 2009.
- H. B. Zhang, B. N. Kim, K. Morita, H. Yoshida, J. H. Lim, and K. Hiraga, “Optical properties and microstructure of nanocrystalline cubic zirconia prepared by high-pressure spark plasma sintering,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 2981–2986, 2011.
- H. B. Zhang, B. N. Kim, K. Morita, H. Yoshida, J. H. Lim, and K. Hiraga, “Optimization of high-pressure sintering of transparent zirconia with nano-sized grains,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 508, no. 1, pp. 196–199, 2010.
- R. Apeta and M. P. B. van Bruggen, “Transparent alumina: a light-scattering model,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 480–486, 2003.
- R. H. French, S. J. Glass, F. S. Ohuchi, Y. N. Xu, and W. Y. Ching, “Experimental and theoretical determination of the electronic structure and optical properties of three phases of ZrO2,” Physical Review B, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 5133–5142, 1994.
- K. Matsui, H. Yoshida, and Y. Ikuhara, “Phase-transformation and grain-growth kinetics in yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia polycrystal doped with a small amount of alumina,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1679–1690, 2010.