- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 325605, 8 pages
Understanding the Biocompatibility of Sintered Calcium Phosphate with Ratio of [Ca]/[P] = 1.50
1Department of Fragrance and Cosmetic Science, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100 Shih-Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung 80782, Taiwan
2Medical Devices and Opto-Electronics Equipment Department, Metal Industries Research and Development Center, 1001 Kaonan Highway, Kaohsiung 81160, Taiwan
3Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, 1 Ta-Hsueh Road, Tainan 70101, Taiwan
4Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Yuan Ze University, 135 Yuan-Tung Road, Chungli, Taiyunn 320, Taiwan
Received 3 September 2012; Revised 13 October 2012; Accepted 15 October 2012
Academic Editor: Yan-Yan Song
Copyright © 2012 Feng-Lin Yen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Kannan, A. F. Lemos, J. H. G. Rocha, and J. M. F. Ferreira, “Characterization and mechanical performance of the Mg-stabilized β-Ca3(PO4)2 prepared from Mg-substituted Ca-deficient apatite,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 2757–2761, 2006.
- A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Bernard, W. Xue, and S. Böse, “Calcium phosphate-based resorbable ceramics: influence of MgO, ZnO, and SiO2 dopants,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 2675–2688, 2006.
- S. S. Banerjee, S. Tarafder, N. M. Davies, A. Bandyopadhyay, and S. Bose, “Understanding the influence of MgO and SrO binary doping on the mechanical and biological properties of β-TCP ceramics,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 4167–4174, 2010.
- L. L. Hench, “Bioceramics,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 1705–1728, 1998.
- J. M. Gomez-Vega, E. Saiz, A. P. Tomsia, G. W. Marshall, and S. J. Marshall, “Bioactive glass coatings with hydroxyapatite and Bioglass® particles on Ti-based implants. 1. Processing,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 105–111, 2000.
- M. Swetha, K. Sahithi, A. Moorthi, N. Srinivasan, K. Ramasamy, and N. Selvamurugan, “Biocomposites containing natural polymers and hydroxyapatite for bone tissue engineering,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2010.
- G. K. Lim, J. Wang, S. C. Ng, and L. M. Gan, “Processing of fine hydroxyapatite powders via an inverse microemulsion route,” Materials Letters, vol. 28, no. 4–6, pp. 431–436, 1996.
- W. Suchanek and M. Yoshimura, “Processing and properties of hydroxyapatite-based biomaterials for use as hard tissue replacement implants,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 94–117, 1998.
- M. Swetha, K. Sahithi, A. Moorthi et al., “Synthesis, characterization, and antimicrobial activity of nano-hydroxyapatite-zinc for bone tissue engineering applications,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 12, pp. 167–172.
- J. Chen, Q. Yu, G. Zhang, S. Yang, J. Wu, and Q. Zhang, “Preparation and biocompatibility of nanohybrid scaffolds by in situ homogeneous formation of nano hydroxyapatite from biopolymer polyelectrolyte complex for bone repair applications,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 93, pp. 100–107, 2012.
- I. Brook, C. Freeman, S. Grubb et al., “Biological evaluation of nano-hydroxyapatite-zirconia (HA-ZrO2) composites and strontium-hydroxyapatite (Sr-HA) for load-bearing applications,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 291–298, 2012.
- Y. Li, J. De Wijn, C. P. A. T. Klein, S. Van de Meer, and K. De Groot, “Preparation and characterization of nanograde osteoapatite-like rod crystals,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 252–255, 1994.
- G. Munir, G. Koller, L. Di Silvio, M. J. Edirisinghe, W. Bonfield, and J. Huang, “The pathway to intelligent implants: osteoblast response to nano silicon-doped hydroxyapatite patterning,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 8, no. 58, pp. 678–688, 2011.
- D. B. Haddow, P. F. James, and R. Van Noort, “Characterization of sol-gel surfaces for biomedical applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 255–260, 1996.
- K. Hwang and Y. Lim, “Chemical and structural changes of hydroxyapatite films by using a sol-gel method,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 115, no. 2-3, pp. 172–175, 1999.
- K. Ohta, M. Kikuchi, J. Tanaka, and H. Eda, “Synthesis of c axes oriented hydroxyapatite aggregate,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 9, pp. 894–895, 2002.
- W. J. Shih, Y. F. Chen, M. C. Wang, and M. H. Hon, “Crystal growth and morphology of the nano-sized hydroxyapatite powders synthesized from CaHPO4·2H2O and CaCO3 by hydrolysis method,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 270, no. 1-2, pp. 211–218, 2004.
- W. J. Shih, M. C. Wang, and M. H. Hon, “Morphology and crystallinity of the nanosized hydroxyapatite synthesized by hydrolysis using cetyltrimethylammonium bromide (CTAB) as a surfactant,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 275, no. 1-2, pp. e2339–e2344, 2005.
- S. Ban and J. Hasegawa, “Morphological regulation and crystal growth of hydrothermal-electrochemically deposited apatite,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 14, pp. 2965–2972, 2002.
- S. K. Yen and C. M. Lin, “Cathodic reactions of electrolytic hydroxyapatite coating on pure titanium,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 2003.
- W. J. Shih, Y. H. Chen, S. H. Wang, W. L. Li, M. H. Hon, and M. C. Wang, “Effect of treatment on the phase transformation and morphology of calcium phosphate deposited by an electrolytic method,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 285, no. 4, pp. 633–641, 2005.
- M. C. Wang, W. J. Shih, K. M. Chang, S. H. Wang, W. L. Li, and H. H. Huang, “Effect of process parameters on the crystallization and morphology of calcium phosphate at a constant pressure of 80 Torr,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 356, no. 31-32, pp. 1546–1553, 2010.
- W. J. Shih, M. C. Wang, K. M. Chang et al., “Phase transformation of calcium phosphates by electrodeposition and heat treatment,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 41, pp. 3509–3516, 2010.
- W. Pon-On, S. Meejoo, and I. M. Tang, “Formation of hydroxyapatite crystallites using organic template of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) and sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS),” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 453–460, 2008.
- T. Ma, Z. Xia, and L. Liao, “Effect of reaction systems and surfactant additives on the morphology evolution of hydroxyapatite nanorods obtained via a hydrothermal route,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 257, no. 9, pp. 4384–4388, 2011.
- H. El Feki, J. M. Savariault, and A. B. Salah, “Structure refinements by the Rietveld method of partially substituted hydroxyapatite: Ca9Na0.5(PO4)4.5(CO3)1.5(OH)2,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 287, no. 1-2, pp. 114–120, 1999.
- E. A. P. De Maeyer, R. M. H. Verbeeck, and D. E. Naessens, “Stoichiometry of Na+- and -containing apatites obtained by hydrolysis of monetite,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 32, no. 25, pp. 5709–5714, 1993.