- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 327369, 14 pages
Morphological Characterization of Nanofibers: Methods and Application in Practice
1Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Heyrovsky Square 2, 162 06 Prague 6, Czech Republic
2Elmarco, Ltd., V horkách 76, 46007 Liberec, Czech Republic
3Institute of Chemical Technology, Technická 5, 166 28 Prague 6, Czech Republic
4Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Vídeňská 1083, 142 20 Prague 4, Czech Republic
5Institute of Molecular Genetics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Vídeňská 1083, 142 20 Prague 4, Czech Republic
Received 31 May 2012; Accepted 18 September 2012
Academic Editor: Cheng Wang
Copyright © 2012 Jakub Širc et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Bhardwaj and S. C. Kundu, “Electrospinning: a fascinating fiber fabrication technique,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 325–347, 2010.
- I. Ahmed, A. S. Ponery, E. K. A. Nur et al., “Morphology, cytoskeletal organization, and myosin dynamics of mouse embryonic fibroblasts cultured on nanofibrillar surfaces,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 301, no. 1-2, pp. 241–249, 2007.
- Y. R. V. Shih, C. N. Chen, S. W. Tsai, J. W. Yng, and O. K. Lee, “Growth of mesenchymal stem cells on electrospun type I collagen nanofibers,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 2391–2397, 2006.
- E. J. Chong, T. T. Phan, I. J. Lim et al., “Evaluation of electrospun PCL/gelatin nanofibrous scaffold for wound healing and layered dermal reconstitution,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 321–330, 2007.
- M. Hadjiargyrou and J. B. Chiu, “Enhanced composite electrospun nanofiber scaffolds for use in drug delivery,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1093–1106, 2008.
- Z. G. Wang, L. S. Wan, Z. M. Liu, X. J. Huang, and Z. K. Xu, “Enzyme immobilization on electrospun polymer nanofibers: an overview,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 56, pp. 189–195, 2009.
- X. B. Fu and H. H. Li, “Mesenchymal stem cells and skin wound repair and regeneration: possibilities and questions,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 335, no. 2, pp. 317–321, 2009.
- G. Pellegrini, P. Rama, F. Mavilio, and M. de Luca, “Epithelial stem cells in corneal regeneration and epidermal gene therapy,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 217–228, 2009.
- X. B. Xing, Y. Q. Wang, and B. J. Li, “Nanofiber drawing and nanodevice assembly in poly(trimethylene terephthalate),” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 10815–10822, 2008.
- K. L. Niece, J. D. Hartgerink, J. J. J. M. Donners, and S. I. Stupp, “Self-assembly combining two bioactive peptide-amphiphile molecules into nanofibers by electrostatic attraction,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 24, pp. 7146–7147, 2003.
- Z. M. Huang, Y. Z. Zhang, M. Kotaki, and S. Ramakrishna, “A review on polymer nanofibers by electrospinning and their applications in nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, pp. 2223–2253, 2003.
- A. Martins and R. L. Reis, “Electrospinning: processing technique for tissue engineering scaffolding,” International Materials Reviews, vol. 53, pp. 257–274, 2008.
- C. J. Luo, S. D. Stoyanov, E. Stride, E. Pelan, and M. Edirisinghe, “Electrospinning versus fibre production methods: from specifics to technological convergence,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 41, pp. 4708–4735, 2012.
- P. R. Kumar, N. Khan, S. Vivekanandhan, N. Satyanarayana, A. K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, “Nanofibers: effective generation by electrospinning and their applications,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 12, pp. 1–25, 2012.
- G. H. Lee, J. C. Song, and K. B. Yoon, “Controlled wall thickness and porosity of polymeric hollow nanofibers by coaxial electrospinning,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 18, pp. 571–576, 2010.
- C. Wang, K. W. Yan, Y. D. Lin, and P. C. H. Hsieh, “Biodegradable core/shell fibers by coaxial electrospinning: processing, fiber characterization, and its application in sustained drug release,” Macromolecules, vol. 43, no. 15, pp. 6389–6397, 2010.
- M. Kamperman, L. T. J. Korley, B. Yau, K. M. Johansen, Y. L. Joo, and U. Wiesner, “Nanomanufacturing of continuous composite nanofibers with confinement-induced morphologies,” Polymer Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 1001–1004, 2010.
- S. L. Chen, H. Q. Hou, P. Hu, J. H. Wendorff, A. Greiner, and S. Agarwal, “Polymeric nanosprings by bicomponent electrospinning,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 294, no. 4, pp. 265–271, 2009.
- S. L. Chen, H. Q. Hou, P. Hu, J. H. Wendorff, A. Greiner, and S. Agarwal, “Effect of different bicomponent electrospinning techniques on the formation of polymeric nanosprings,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 294, no. 11, pp. 781–786, 2009.
- G. F. Taylor, “Electrically driven jets,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, vol. 313, pp. 453–475, 1969.
- J. C. Park, “Electric spinning apparatus for mass-production of nano-fiber,” U.S. Patent, 2008.
- O. Jirsak, F. Sanetrnik, D. Lukas, L. Kotek, L. Martinova, and J. Chaloupek, “Method of nanofibers production from polymer solution using electrostatic spinning and a device for carrying out the method,” U.S. Patent, WO, 20060290031, 2006.
- D. Lukas, A. Sarkar, and P. Pokorny, “Self-organization of jets in electrospinning from free liquid surface: a generalized approach,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 103, no. 8, Article ID 084309, 2008.
- Y. J. Ryu, H. Y. Kim, K. H. Lee, H. C. Park, and D. R. Lee, “Transport properties of electrospun nylon 6 nonwoven mats,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1883–1889, 2003.
- C. P. Barnes, S. A. Sell, E. D. Boland, D. G. Simpson, and G. L. Bowlin, “Nanofiber technology: designing the next generation of tissue engineering scaffolds,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 59, no. 14, pp. 1413–1433, 2007.
- R. Chen, C. Huang, Q. F. Ke, C. L. He, H. S. Wang, and X. M. Mo, “Preparation and characterization of coaxial electrospun thermoplastic polyurethane/collagen compound nanofibers for tissue engineering applications,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 315–325, 2010.
- Y. Srivastava, M. Marquez, and T. Thorsen, “Microfluidic electrospinning of biphasic nanofibers with Janus morphology,” Biomicrofluidics, vol. 3, no. 1, Article ID 012801, 2009.
- K. H. Lee, H. Y. Kim, Y. J. Ryu, K. W. Kim, and S. W. Choi, “Mechanical behavior of electrospun fiber mats of poly(vinyl chloride)/polyurethane polyblends,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1256–1262, 2003.
- M. Forouharshad, O. Saligheh, R. Arasteh, and R. E. Farsani, “Manufacture and characterization of poly (butylene terephthalate) nanofibers by electrospinning,” Journal of Macromolecular Science B, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 833–842, 2010.
- L. M. Guerrini, M. P. de Oliveira, M. C. Branciforti, T. A. Custodio, and R. E. S. Bretas, “Thermal and structural characterization of nanofibers of poly(vinyl alcohol) produced by electrospinning,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 112, pp. 1680–1687, 2009.
- Z. Q. Peng, Y. Yoshida, and S. Sukigara, “Morphology and physical properties of a novel ramie-PU blended nonwoven by electrospinning: the effect of cosolvent ratio,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2010.
- J. H. Park, H. W. Lee, D. K. Chae et al., “Electrospinning and characterization of poly(vinyl alcohol)/chitosan oligosaccharide/clay nanocomposite nanofibers in aqueous solutions,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 287, no. 8, pp. 943–950, 2009.
- J. M. Lim, G. R. Yi, J. H. Moon, C. J. Heo, and S. M. Yang, “Superhydrophobic films of electrospun fibers with multiple-scale surface morphology,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 15, pp. 7981–7989, 2007.
- I. Shabani, V. Haddadi-Asl, E. Seyedjafari, F. Babaeijandaghi, and M. Soleimani, “Improved infiltration of stem cells on electrospun nanofibers,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 382, no. 1, pp. 129–133, 2009.
- A. Martins, E. D. Pinho, S. Faria et al., “Surface modification of electrospun polycaprolactone nanofiber meshes by plasma treatment to enhance biological performance,” Small, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1195–1206, 2009.
- K. E. Park, K. Z. Lee, S. J. Lee, and W. H. Park, “Surface characteristics of plasma-treated PLGA nanofibers,” Macromolecular Symposia, vol. 249-250, pp. 103–108, 2007.
- S. J. Kim, D. H. Jang, W. H. Park, and B. M. Min, “Fabrication and characterization of 3-dimensional PLGA nanofiber/microfiber composite scaffolds,” Polymer, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1320–1327, 2010.
- C. B. Huang, S. L. Chen, D. H. Reneker, C. L. Lai, and H. Q. Hou, “High-strength mats from electrospun poly(p-phenylene biphenyltetracarboximide) nanofibers,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, pp. 668–671, 2006.
- S. L. Chen, P. Hu, A. Greiner et al., “Electrospun nanofiber belts made from high performance copolyimide,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 1, Article ID 015604, 2008.
- I. K. Kwon, S. Kidoaki, and T. Matsuda, “Electrospun nano- to microfiber fabrics made of biodegradable copolyesters: structural characteristics, mechanical properties and cell adhesion potential,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 3929–3939, 2005.
- N. Amiraliyan, M. Nouri, and M. H. Kish, “Electrospinning of silk nanofibers. I. An investigation of nanofiber morphology and process optimization using response surface methodology,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 167–176, 2009.
- D. H. Reneker, W. Kataphinan, A. Theron, E. Zussman, and A. L. Yarin, “Nanofiber garlands of polycaprolactone by electrospinning,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 25, pp. 6785–6794, 2002.
- V. Jacobs, R. D. Anandjiwala, and M. Maaza, “The influence of electrospinning parameters on the structural morphology and diameter of electrospun nanofibers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 3130–3136, 2010.
- N. Amiraliyan, M. Nouri, and M. H. Kish, “Effects of some electrospinning parameters on morphology of Natural silk-based nanofibers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 226–234, 2009.
- E. Tomba, P. Facco, M. Roso, M. Modesti, F. Bezzo, and M. Barolo, “Artificial vision system for the automatic measurement of interfiber pore characteristics and fiber diameter distribution in nanofiber assemblies,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 2957–2968, 2010.
- P. Facco, E. Tomba, M. Roso, M. Modesti, F. Bezzo, and M. Barolo, “Automatic characterization of nanofiber assemblies by image texture analysis,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 66–75, 2010.
- H. M. Ji, H. W. Lee, M. R. Karim et al., “Electrospinning and characterization of medium-molecular-weight poly(vinyl alcohol)/high-molecular-weight poly(vinyl alcohol)/ montmorillonite nanofibers,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 287, no. 7, pp. 751–758, 2009.
- C. Y. Cheng, J. Chen, F. Chen et al., “High-strength and high-toughness polyimide nanofibers: synthesis and characterization,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 1581–1586, 2010.
- B. M. Min, G. Lee, S. H. Kim, Y. S. Nam, T. S. Lee, and W. H. Park, “Electrospinning of silk fibroin nanofibers and its effect on the adhesion and spreading of normal human keratinocytes and fibroblasts in vitro,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 7-8, pp. 1289–1297, 2004.
- H. Q. Cao, K. Mchugh, S. Y. Chew, and J. M. Anderson, “The topographical effect of electrospun nanofibrous scaffolds on the in vivo and in vitro foreign body reaction,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 93, pp. 1151–1159, 2010.
- U. Stachewicz and A. H. Barber, “Enhanced wetting behavior at electrospun polyamide nanofiber surfaces,” Langmuir, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 3024–3029, 2011.
- K. Y. Hwang, S. D. Kim, Y. W. Kim, and W. R. Yu, “Mechanical characterization of nanofibers using a nanomanipulator and atomic force microscope cantilever in a scanning electron microscope,” Polymer Testing, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 375–380, 2010.
- H. L. Ritter and L. C. Drake, “Pressure porosimeter and determination of complete macropore-size distributions. Pressure porosimeter and determination of complete macropore-size distributions,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Analytical Edition, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 782–786, 1945.
- E. W. Washburn, “Note on a method of determining the distribution of pore sizes in a porous material,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 7, pp. 115–116, 1921.
- J. L. Lowery, N. Datta, and G. C. Rutledge, “Effect of fiber diameter, pore size and seeding method on growth of human dermal fibroblasts in electrospun poly(ε-caprolactone) fibrous mats,” Biomater, vol. 31, pp. 491–504, 2010.
- J. B. Ko, S. W. Lee, D. E. Kim et al., “Fabrication of SiO2-ZrO2 composite fiber mats via electrospinning,” Journal of Porous Materials, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 325–330, 2006.
- S. Brunauer, P. H. Emmett, and E. J. Teller, “Adsorption of gases in multimolecular layers,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 309–319, 1938.
- A. M. Bazargan, S. M. A. Fateminia, M. E. Ganji, and M. A. Bahrevar, “Electrospinning preparation and characterization of cadmium oxide nanofibers,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 155, no. 1-2, pp. 523–527, 2009.
- S. Imaizumi, H. Matsumoto, K. Suzuki, M. Minagawa, M. Kimura, and A. Tanioka, “Phenolic resin-based carbon thin fibers prepared by electrospinning: additive effects of poly(vinyl butyral) and electrolytes,” Polymer Journal, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1124–1128, 2009.
- Z. Y. Zhang, X. H. Li, C. H. Wang, S. W. Fu, Y. C. Liu, and C. L. Shao, “Polyacrylonitrile and carbon nanofibers with controllable nanoporous structures by electrospinning,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 294, pp. 673–678, 2009.
- Q. P. Pham, U. Sharma, and A. G. Mikos, “Electrospun poly(ε-caprolactone) microfiber and multilayer nanofiber/microfiber scaffolds: characterization of scaffolds and measurement of cellular infiltration,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, pp. 2796–2805, 2006.
- J. D. Andrade, Surface and Interfacial Aspects of Biomedical Polymers, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- R. N. Wenzel, “Resistance of solid surfaces to wetting by water,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, vol. 28, pp. 988–994, 1936.
- A. B. D. Cassie and S. Baxter, “Wettability of porous surfaces,” Transactions of the Faraday Society, vol. 40, pp. 546–551, 1944.
- M. Taniguchi, J. P. Pieracci, and G. Belfort, “Effect of undulations on surface energy: a quantitative assessment,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 14, pp. 4312–4315, 2001.
- M. Taniguchi and G. Belfort, “Correcting for surface roughness: advancing and receding contact angles,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 16, pp. 6465–6467, 2002.
- H. S. Yoo, T. G. Kim, and T. G. Park, “Surface-functionalized electrospun nanofibers for tissue engineering and drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, pp. 1033–1042, 2009.
- J. Jia, Y. Y. Duan, J. Yu, and J. W. Lu J, “Preparation and immobilization of soluble eggshell membrane protein on the electrospun nanofibers to enhance cell adhesion and growth,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 86, pp. 364–373, 2008.