- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 386236, 9 pages
Mechanical Behavior of Nanostructured Hybrids Based on Poly(Vinyl Alcohol)/Bioactive Glass Reinforced with Functionalized Carbon Nanotubes
1Center of Nanoscience, Nanotechnology, and Innovation (CeNano) and Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Federal University of Minas Gerais, 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
2Department of Metallurgy and Material Engineering, Centro Federal de Educação Tecnológica de Minas Gerais, Avenida Amazonas 5253, Nova Suiça, 30421-169 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Received 21 August 2012; Revised 26 October 2012; Accepted 6 November 2012
Academic Editor: Tianxi Liu
Copyright © 2012 H. S. Mansur et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. J. Salgado, O. P. Coutinho, and R. L. Reis, “Bone tissue engineering: state of the art and future trends,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 743–765, 2004.
- Q. Chen, J. A. Roether, and A. R. Boccaccini, Topics in Tissue Engineering, BTE group, 2008.
- K. J. L. Burg, S. Porter, and J. F. Kellam, “Biomaterial developments for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 2347–2359, 2000.
- V. Olivier, N. Faucheux, and P. Hardouin, “Biomaterial challenges and approaches to stem cell use in bone reconstructive surgery,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 9, no. 18, pp. 803–811, 2004.
- J. J. Blaker, V. Maquet, R. Jérôme, A. R. Boccaccini, and S. N. Nazhat, “Mechanical properties of highly porous PDLLA/Bioglass composite foams as scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 643–652, 2005.
- D. W. Hutmacher, J. T. Schantz, C. X. Lam, K. C. Tan, and T. C. Lim, “State of the art and future directions of scaffold-based bone engineering from a biomaterials perspective,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 245–260, 2007.
- J. R. Jones, “New trends in bioactive scaffolds: the importance of nanostructure,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1275–1281, 2009.
- P. Fabbria, V. Cannillo, A. Sola, A. Dorigato, and F. Chiellini, “Highly porous polycaprolactone-45S5 Bioglass scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 70, no. 13, pp. 1869–1878, 2010.
- L. C. Gerhardt and A. R. Boccaccini, “Bioactive glass and glass-ceramic scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Materials, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 3867–3910, 2010.
- J. J. Blaker, S. N. Nazhat, V. Maquet, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Long-term in vitro degradation of PDLLA/Bioglass bone scaffolds in acellular simulated body fluid,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 829–840, 2011.
- Y. Minaberry and M. Jobbágy, “Macroporous bioglass scaffolds prepared by coupling sol-gel with freeze drying,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 23, pp. 2327–2332, 2000.
- M. M. Pereira, J. R. Jones, and L. L. Hench, “Bioactive glass and hybrid scaffolds prepared by sol-gel method for bone tissue engineering,” Advances in Applied Ceramics, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2005.
- G. Andrade, E. F. Barbosa-Stancioli, A. A. Piscitelli Mansur, W. L. Vasconcelos, and H. S. Mansur, “Design of novel hybrid organic-inorganic nanostructured biomaterials for immunoassay applications,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 1, no. 4, article 008, pp. 221–234, 2006.
- H. S. Mansur and H. S. Costa, “Nanostructured poly(vinyl alcohol)/bioactive glass and poly(vinyl alcohol)/chitosan/bioactive glass hybrid scaffolds for biomedical applications,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 72–83, 2008.
- H. S. Costa, M. F. Rocha, G. I. Andrade et al., “Sol-gel derived composite from bioactive glass-polyvinyl alcohol,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 494–502, 2008.
- A. A. R. De Oliveira, V. Ciminelli, M. S. S. Dantas, H. S. Mansur, and M. M. Pereira, “Acid character control of bioactive glass/polyvinyl alcohol hybrid foams produced by sol-gel,” Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 335–346, 2008.
- H. S. Costa, E. F. B. Stancioli, M. M. Pereira, R. L. Oréfice, and H. S. Mansur, “Synthesis, neutralization and blocking procedures of organic/inorganic hybrid scaffolds for bone tissue engineering applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 529–535, 2009.
- H. S. Costa, A. A. P. Mansur, M. M. Pereira, and H. S. Mansur, “Engineered hybrid scaffolds of poly(vinyl alcohol)/bioactive glass for potential bone engineering applications: synthesis, characterization, cytocompatibility, and degradation,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 718470, 16 pages, 2012.
- H. S. Mansur, H. S. Costa, A. A. P. Mansur, and M. M. Pereira, “3D-macroporous hybrid scaffolds for tissue engineering: network design and mathematical modeling of the degradation kinetics,” Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 32, p. 404, 2012.
- M. K. Amal, E. Mahmoud, and M. Farag, “Carbon nanotube reinforced composites: potential and current challenges,” Materials and Design, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 2394–2401, 2007.
- H. Park, J. Zhao, and J. P. Lu, “Effects of sidewall functionalization on conducting properties of single wall carbon nanotubes,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 916–919, 2006.
- J. Liu, A. G. Rinzler, H. Dai et al., “Fullerene pipes,” Science, vol. 280, no. 5367, pp. 1253–1256, 1998.
- X. Zhang, T. V. Sreekumar, T. Liu, and S. Kumar, “Properties and structure of nitric acid oxidized single wall carbon nanotube films,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 42, pp. 16435–16440, 2004.
- W. Song, Z. Zheng, W. Tang, and X. Wang, “A facile approach to covalently functionalized carbon nanotubes with biocompatible polymer,” Polymer, vol. 48, no. 13, pp. 3658–3663, 2007.
- P. Petrov, G. Georgiev, D. Momekova, G. Momekov, and C. B. Tsvetanov, “UV-assisted grafting of polymers: a method towards biocompatible carbon nanotubes,” Polymer, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 2465–2471, 2010.
- G. S. Nanda, R. Saravendra, W. C. Jae, L. A. Lin, and H. C. Siew, “Polymer nanocomposites based on functionalized carbon nanotubes,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 35, p. 837, 2010.
- J. N. Coleman, M. Cadek, K. P. Ryan et al., “Reinforcement of polymers with carbon nanotubes. The role of an orderedpolymer interfacial region. Experiment and modeling,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 26, pp. 8556–8561, 2006.
- J. N. Coleman, U. Khan, W. J. Blau, and Y. K. Gun'ko, “Small but strong: a review of the mechanical properties of carbon nanotube-polymer composites,” Carbon, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 1624–1652, 2006.
- K. P. Ryan, M. Cadek, V. Nicolosi et al., “Carbon nanotubes for reinforcement of plastics? A case study with poly(vinyl alcohol),” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 7-8, pp. 1640–1649, 2007.
- Z. T. D. Spitalskya, K. Papagelis, and C. Galiotis, “Carbon nanotube-polymer composites: chemistry, processing, mechanical and electrical properties,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 357–401, 2010.