- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 406214, 8 pages
Nucleating Effect of Carbon Nanoparticles and Their Influence on the Thermal and Chemical Stability of Polypropylene
1Departamento de Polímeros, Facultad de Ciencias Químicas (FCQ), Universidad Autónoma de Coahuila (UAdeC), Avenida V. Carranza S.N., 25000 Saltillo, COAH, Mexico
2Departamento de Procesamiento de Polímeros, Centro de Investigación en Química Aplicada (CIQA), Bulevar, Enrique Reyna 140, 25253 Saltillo, COAH, Mexico
3Departamento de Materiales, CIATEC, A.C. Omega 201, Fracc. Delta, 37545 León, GTO, Mexico
Received 28 May 2012; Revised 12 September 2012; Accepted 17 September 2012
Academic Editor: Theodorian Borca-Tasciuc
Copyright © 2012 F. Avalos-Belmontes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. G. Karian, Ed., Handbook of Polypropylene and Polypropylene Composites, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2003.
- G. Galgali, S. Agarwal, and A. Lele, “Effect of clay orientation on the tensile modulus of polypropylene-nanoclay composites,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 17, pp. 6059–6069, 2004.
- G. Mani, Q. Fan, S. C. Ugbolue, and Y. Yang, “Morphological studies of polypropylene-nanoclay composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 218–226, 2005.
- B. K. Kandola, G. Smart, A. R. Horrocks et al., “Effect of different compatibilisers on nanoclay dispersion, thermal stability, and burning behavior of polypropylene-nanoclay blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 816–824, 2008.
- T. Zaharescu, S. Jipa, W. Kappel, and P. Supaphol, “The control of thermal and radiation stability of polypropylene containing calcium carbonate nanoparticles,” Macromolecular Symposia, vol. 242, pp. 319–324, 2006.
- Q. Wei, L. Yu, R. R. Mather, and X. Wang, “Preparation and characterization of titanium dioxide nanocomposite fibers,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 19, pp. 8001–8005, 2007.
- S. Reyes-De Vaaben, A. Aguilar, F. Avalos, and L. F. Ramos-De Valle, “Carbon nanoparticles as effective nucleating agents for polypropylene,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 947–952, 2008.
- P. A. Dilara and D. Briassoulis, “Degradation and stabilization of low-density polyethylene films used as greenhouse covering materials,” Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 309–321, 2000.
- A. Funck and W. Kaminsky, “Polypropylene carbon nanotube composites by in situ polymerization,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 906–915, 2007.
- H. Xia, Q. Wang, K. Li, and G. H. Hu, “Preparation of polypropylene/carbon nanotube composite powder with a solid-state mechanochemical pulverization process,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 378–386, 2004.
- K. Lu, N. Grossiord, C. E. Koning, H. E. Miltner, B. Van Mele, and J. Loos, “Carbon nanotube/isotactic polypropylene composites prepared by latex technology: morphology analysis of CNT-induced nucleation,” Macromolecules, vol. 41, no. 21, pp. 8081–8085, 2008.
- S. L. Kodjie, L. Li, B. Li, W. Cai, C. Y. Li, and M. Keating, “Morphology and crystallization behavior of HDPE/CNT nanocomposite,” Journal of Macromolecular Science, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 231–245, 2006.
- G. Sui, W. H. Zhong, M. A. Fuqua, and C. A. Ulven, “Crystalline structure and properties of carbon nanofiber composites prepared by melt extrusion,” Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, vol. 208, no. 17, pp. 1928–1936, 2007.
- Y. Peneva, M. Valcheva, L. Minkova, M. Mičušík, and M. Omastová, “Nonisothermal crystallization kinetics and microhardness of PP/CNT composites,” Journal of Macromolecular Science B, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1197–1210, 2008.
- P. C. P. Watts, P. K. Fearon, W. K. Hsu, N. C. Billingham, H. W. Kroto, and D. R. M. Walton, “Carbon nanotubes as polymer antioxidants,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 491–495, 2003.
- B. B. Marosfoi, A. Szabó, G. Marosi, D. Tabuani, G. Camino, and S. Pagliari, “Thermal and spectroscopic characterization of polypropylene-carbon nanotube composites,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 669–673, 2006.
- A. Chatterjee and B. L. Deopura, “Thermal stability of polypropylene/carbon nanofiber composite,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 3574–3578, 2006.
- M. M. Hasan, Y. Zhou, and S. Jeelani, “Thermal and tensile properties of aligned carbon nanofiber reinforced polypropylene,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 4-5, pp. 1134–1136, 2007.
- H. E. Miltner, N. Grossiord, K. Lu, J. Loos, C. E. Koning, and B. Van Mele, “Isotactic polypropylene/carbon nanotube composites prepared by latex technology. Thermal analysis of camon nanotube induced nucleation,” Macromolecules, vol. 41, no. 15, pp. 5753–5762, 2008.
- E. Assouline, A. Lustiger, A. H. Barber et al., “Nucleation ability of multiwall carbon nanotubes in polypropylene composites,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 520–527, 2003.
- N. Khelidj, X. Colin, L. Audouin, J. Verdu, C. Monchy-Leroy, and V. Prunier, “Oxidation of polyethylene under irradiation at low temperature and low dose rate. Part I. the case of "pure" radiochemical initiation,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 1593–1597, 2006.
- H. Tanaka, “Fuming nitric acid treatment of isotactic polypropylene film, I: effects of selective oxidation on proton spin-lattice and spin-spin relaxation times,” Colloid & Polymer Science, vol. 260, no. 12, pp. 1101–1106, 1982.
- I. D. Rosca, F. Watari, M. Uo, and T. Akasaka, “Oxidation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes by nitric acid,” Carbon, vol. 43, no. 15, pp. 3124–3131, 2005.
- S. Armenise, M. Nebra, E. García-Bordejé, and A. Monzón, “Functionalization of carbon nanofibers coated on cordierite monoliths by oxidative treatment,” Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, vol. 175, pp. 483–486, 2010.
- P. V. Lakshminarayanan, H. Toghiani, and C. U. Pittman, “Nitric acid oxidation of vapor grown carbon nanofibers,” Carbon, vol. 42, no. 12-13, pp. 2433–2442, 2004.
- E. Logakis, E. Pollatos, C. Pandis et al., “Structure-property relationships in isotactic polypropylene/multi-walled carbon nanotubes nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 328–335, 2010.
- A. R. Bhattacharyya, T. V. Sreekumar, T. Liu et al., “Crystallization and orientation studies in polypropylene/single wall carbon nanotube composite,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 2373–2377, 2003.
- B. K. Satapathy, M. Ganß, R. Weidisch et al., “Ductile-to-semiductile transition in PP-MWNT nanocomposites,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 834–841, 2007.
- E. Ferrage, F. Martin, A. Boudet et al., “Talc as nucleating agent of polypropylene: morphology induced by lamellar particles addition and interface mineral-matrix modelization,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1561–1573, 2002.
- B. Fillon, A. Thierry, B. Lotz, and J. C. Wittmann, “Efficiency scale for polymer nucleating agents,” Journal of Thermal Analysis, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 721–731, 1994.
- C. Marco, G. Ellis, M. A. Gómez, and J. M. Arribas, “Analysis of the dynamic crystallisation of isotactic polypropylene/α-nucleating agent systems by DSC,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 61–74, 2002.
- M. A. Islam, I. A. Hussein, and M. Atiqullah, “Effects of branching characteristics and copolymer composition distribution on non-isothermal crystallization kinetics of metallocene LLDPEs,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 599–610, 2007.