- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 463748, 8 pages
Evolution of Space Charges and Conductivity with DC Aging of Polyethylene-Synthetic and Natural Clay Composites
Power Measurement Group, Institute of Measurement Science and Standards, National Research Council Canada, 1200 Montreal Road Building, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0R6
Received 25 July 2012; Revised 9 November 2012; Accepted 11 November 2012
Academic Editor: Tianxi Liu
Copyright © 2012 Mahmoud Abou-Dakka. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. S. Ellis and J. S. D'Angelo, “Thermal and mechanical properties of a polypropylene nanocomposite,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 1639–1647, 2003.
- E. Manias, A. Touny, L. Wu, K. Strawhecker, B. Lu, and T. C. Chung, “Polypropylene/montmorillonite nanocomposites. Review of the synthetic routes and materials properties,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 3516–3523, 2001.
- W. Wenyi, Z. Xiaofei, W. Guoquan, and C. Jianfeng, “Preparation and properties of polypropylene filled with organo-montmorillonite nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 2875–2880, 2006.
- P. B. Messersmith and E. P. Giannelis, “Synthesis and characterization of layered silicate-epoxy nanocomposites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 1719–1725, 1994.
- N. Fuze, T. Tanaka, and Y. Ohki, “Evolution of dielectric properties in polyethylene/clay nanocomposites,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP '09), pp. 507–510, Virgina Beach, Va, USA, October 2009.
- J. K. Nelson and Y. Hu, “Nanocomposite dielectrics—properties and implications,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 213–222, 2005.
- M. Kozako, N. Fuse, Y. Ohki, T. Okamoto, and T. Tanaka, “Surface degradation of polyamide nanocomposites caused by partial discharges using IEC (b) electrodes,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 833–839, 2004.
- T. Tanaka, “Interface properties and surface erosion resistance,” in Dielectric Polymer Nanocomposites, K. Nelson, Ed., pp. 229–258, Springer Science and Business Media, 2010.
- Y. Dimitrienko, “Modelling of the mechanical properties of composite materials at high temperatures: part 1. Matrix and fibers,” Applied Composite Materials, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 219–237, 1997.
- K. Yano, A. Usuki, A. Okada, T. Kurauchi, and O. Kamigaito, “Synthesis and properties of polymide-clay hybrid,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 2493–2498, 1993.
- J. Zhu, A. B. Morgan, F. J. Lamelas, and C. A. Wilkie, “Fire properties of polystyrene-clay nanocomposites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 3774–3780, 2001.
- C. Ding, H. He, B. Guo, and D. Jia, “Structure and properties of polypropylene/clay nanocomposites compatibilized by solid-phase grafted polypropylene,” Polymer Composites, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 698–701, 2008.
- K. Nelson, “The promise of dielectric nanocomposites,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Electrical Insulation (ISEI' 06), pp. 452–457, Toronto, Canada, June 2006.
- M. Abou Dakka, A. Bulinski, and S. S. Bamji, “Space charge evolution in polypropylene containing synthetic and natural organoclays,” in Proceedings of the Annual Report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP '10), Indiana, Ind, USA, October 2010.
- J. I. Velasco, M. Ardanuy, V. Realinho et al., “Polypropylene/clay nanocomposites: combined effects of clay treatment and compatibilizer polymers on the structure and properties,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 1213–1223, 2006.
- M. F. Fréchette and C. W. Reed, “The role of molecular dielectrics in shaping the interface of polymer nanodielectrics,” in Proceedings of the Annual Report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP '07), pp. 279–285, Vancouver, Canada, October 2007.
- T. J. Lewis, “Interfaces: nanometric dielectrics,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 202–212, 2005.
- E. J. Garboczi, K. A. Snyder, J. F. Douglas, and M. F. Thorpe, “Geometrical percolation threshold of overlapping ellipsoids,” Physical Review E, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 819–828, 1995.
- L. A. Utracki, M. Sepehr, and E. Boccaleri, “Synthetic, layered nanoparticles for polymeric nanocomposites (PNCs),” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–37, 2007.
- L. A. Utracki, “Clay-containing polymeric nanocomposites and their properties,” IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 6–15, 2010.
- A. Bulinski, S. S. Bamji, M. Abou-Dakka, and Y. Chen, “Dielectric properties of polypropylene containing synthetic and natural organoclays,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Electrical Insulation (ISEI '10), San Diego, Calif, USA, June 2010.
- Y. Li, M. Yasuda, and T. Takada, “Pulsed electroacoustic method for measurement of charge accumulation in solid dielectrics,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 188–195, 1994.
- P. Reichert, H. Nitz, S. Klinke, R. Brandsch, R. Thomann, and R. Mulhaupt, “Poly(propylene)/organoclay nano-composites formation: Influence of compatibilizer functionality and organoclay modification,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 8–17, 2000.
- M. Abou-Dakka, A. Bulinski, and S. Bamji, “Space charge development and breakdown in XLPE under DC field,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2004.
- G. Chen, J. T. Sadipe, Y. Zhuang, C. Zhang, and G. C. Stevens, “Conduction in linear low density polyethylene nanodielectric materials,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 9th International Conference on the Properties and Applications of Dielectric Materials (ICPADM '09), pp. 845–848, Harbin, China, July 2009.
- T. J. Lewis, “Interfaces are the dominant feature of dielectrics at the nanometric level,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 739–753, 2004.
- J. K. Nelson and J. C. Fothergill, “Internal charge behaviour of nanocomposites,” Nanotechnology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 586–595, 2004.
- J. C. Fothergill, “Ageing, space charge and nanodielectrics: ten things we don't know about dielectrics,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Solid Dielectrics (ICSD '07), pp. 1–10, Winchester, UK, July 2007.
- T. J. Lewis, “Nanometric dielectrics,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 812–825, 1994.
- D. Fabiani, G. C. Montanari, and L. Testa, “Effect of water adsorption on the dielectric propertiesof nanostructured insulating materials,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 15, pp. 118–126, 2009.