- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 463768, 7 pages
Aluminum Silicate Nanotube Coating of Siloxane-Poly(lactic acid)-Vaterite Composite Fibermats for Bone Regeneration
1Department of Frontier Materials, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya 466-8555, Japan
2Center for Fostering Young and Innovative Researchers, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya 466-8555, Japan
3Ecological Ceramics Group, Materials Research Institute for Sustainable Development, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Anagahora Shimo-shidami, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya 463-8560, Japan
4Bio-integration Processing Research Group, Advanced Manufacturing Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Anagahora Shimo-shidami, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya 463-8560, Japan
Received 20 July 2012; Revised 16 November 2012; Accepted 26 November 2012
Academic Editor: Yong Yang
Copyright © 2012 Shuji Yamazaki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S.-S. Kim, M. S. Park, O. Jeon, C.-Y. Choi, and B. S. Kim, “Poly(lactide-coglycolide)/hydroxyl-apatite composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1399–1409, 2006.
- K. Zhang, Y. Wang, M. A. Hillmyer, and L. F. Francis, “Processing and properties of porous poly(l-lactic)/bioactive glass composites,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 2489–2500, 2004.
- L. G. Griffith, “Polymeric biomaterials,” Acta Materialia, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 263–277, 2000.
- R. Zhang and P. X. Ma, “Porous poly(l-lactic acid)/apatite composites created by biomimetic process,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 285–293, 1999.
- J. A. Roether, A. R. Boccaccini, L. L. Hench, V. Maquet, S. Gautier, and R. Jérôme, “Development and in vitro characterisation of novel bioresorbable and bioactive composite materials based on polylactide foams and Bioglass for tissue engineering applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 18, pp. 3871–3878, 2002.
- I. D. Xynos, A. J. Edgar, L. D. K. Buttery, L. L. Hench, and J. M. Polak, “Ionic products of bioactive glass dissolution increase proliferation of human osteoblasts and induce insulin-like growth factor II mRNA expression and protein synthesis,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 276, no. 2, pp. 461–465, 2000.
- D. M. Reffitt, N. Ogston, R. Jugdaohsingh et al., “Orthosilicic acid stimulates collagen type 1 synthesis and osteoblastic differentiation in human osteoblast-like cells in vitro,” Bone, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 127–135, 2003.
- N. Patel, S. M. Best, W. Bonfield et al., “A comparative study on the in vivo behavior of hydroxyapatite and silicon substituted hydroxyapatite granules,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1199–1206, 2002.
- A. Obata, S. Tokuda, and T. Kasuga, “Enhanced in vitro cell activity on silicon-doped vaterite/poly(lactic acid) composites,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 2009.
- T. J. Still and H. A. von Recum, “Electrospinning: applications in drug delivery and tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 13, pp. 1989–2006, 2008.
- W. J. Li, C. T. Laurencin, E. J. Caterson, R. S. Tuan, and F. K. Ko, “Electrospun nanofibrous structure: a novel scaffold for tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 613–621, 2002.
- X. Xin, M. Hussain, and J. J. Mao, “Continuing differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells and induced chondrogenic and osteogenic lineages in electrospun PLGA nanofiber scaffold,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 316–325, 2007.
- Y. Z. Zhang, B. Su, J. Venugopal, S. Ramakrishna, and C. T. Lim, “Biomimetic and bioactive nanofibrous scaffolds from electrospun composite nanofibers,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 623–638, 2007.
- A. O. Brightman, B. P. Rajwa, J. E. Sturgis, M. E. McCallister, J. P. Robinson, and S. L. Voytik-Harbin, “Timelapse confocal reflection microscopy of collagen fibrillogenesis and extracellular matrix assembly in vitro,” Biopolymers, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 222–234, 2000.
- A. S. Badami, M. R. Kreke, M. S. Thompson, J. S. Riffle, and A. S. Goldstein, “Effect of fiber diameter on spreading, proliferation, and differentiation of osteoblastic cells on electrospun poly(lactic acid) substrates,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 596–606, 2006.
- M. M. Stevens and J. H. George, “Exploring and engineering the cell surface interface,” Science, vol. 310, no. 18, pp. 1135–1138, 2005.
- J.-H. Jang, O. Castano, and H. W. Kim, “Electrospun materials as potential platforms for bone tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1065–1083, 2009.
- A. Obata, T. Hotta, T. Wakita, Y. Ota, and T. Kasuga, “Electrospun microfiber meshes of silicon-doped vaterite/poly(lactic acid) hybrid for guided bone regeneration,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1248–1257, 2010.
- T. Wakita, A. Obata, G. Poologasundarampillai, J. R. Jones, and T. Kasuga, “Preparation of electrospun siloxane-poly(lactic acid)-vaterite hybrid fibrous membranes for guided bone regeneration,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 70, no. 13, pp. 1889–1893, 2010.
- P. D. G. Cradwick, V. C. Farmer, J. D. Russell, C. R. Masson, K. Wada, and N. Yoshinaga, “Imogolite, a hydrated aluminum silicate of tubular structure,” Nature Physical Science, vol. 240, no. 104, pp. 187–189, 1972.
- F. Watari, S. Abe, C. Koyama et al., “Behavior of in vitro, in vivo and internal motion of micro/nano particles of titanium, titanium oxides and others,” Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, vol. 116, no. 1349, pp. 1–5, 2008.
- F. Watari, N. Takashi, A. Yokoyama et al., “Material nanosizing effect on living organisms: non-specific, biointeractive, physical size effects,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. S371–S388, 2009.
- F. Watari, “Biointeractive and bioreactive nature of nanomaterials,” Nano Biomedicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2–8, 2009.
- K. Ishikawa, T. Akasaka, Y. Nodasaka, et al., “Physical properties of aluminosilicate nanotubes, imogolite, as scaffold and effect on osteoblastic mineralization,” Nano Biomedicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 109–120, 2009.
- K. Ishikawa, S. Abe, Y. Yawaka, M. Suzuki, and F. Watari, “Osteoblastic cellular responses to aluminosilicate nanotubes, imogolite using Saos-2 and MC3T3-E1 cells,” Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, vol. 118, no. 1378, pp. 516–520, 2010.
- M. Suzuki, H. Sato, C. Ikeda, R. Nakanishi, K. Inukai, and M. Maeda, “State change of imogolite according to heating duration on synthesizing,” Journal of Clay Science Society of Japan, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 194–199, 2007 (Japanese).
- H. Tsuchida, S. Ooi, K. Nakaishi, and Y. Adachi, “Effects of pH and ionic strength on electrokinetic properties of imogolite,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 265, no. 1-3, pp. 131–134, 2005.
- K. Fujikura, A. Obata, and T. Kasuga, “Cellular migration to electrospun poly(lactic acid) fibermats,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, vol. 23, pp. 1939–1950, 2012.
- Z. M. Huang, Y. Z. Zhang, M. Kotaki, and S. Ramakrishna, “A review on polymer nanofibers by electrospinning and their applications in nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 15, pp. 2223–2253, 2003.
- G.-T. Kim, J.-S. Lee, J.-H. Shin et al., “Investigation of pore formation for polystyrene electrospun fiber: effect of relative humidity,” Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 783–788, 2005.
- J. G. Steele, G. Johnson, and P. A. Underwood, “Role of serum vitronectin and fibronectin in adhesion of fibroblasts following seeding onto tissue culture polystyrene,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 861–884, 1992.
- T. A. Horbett and M. B. Schway, “Correlations between mouse 3T3 cell spreading and serum fibronectin adsorption on glass and hydroxyethylmethacrylate-ethylmethacrylate copolymers,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 763–793, 1988.
- E. Hirata, M. Uo, Y. Nodasaka et al., “3D collagen scaffolds coated with multiwalled carbon nanotubes: initial cell attachment to internal surface,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 544–550, 2010.
- Z. Abidin, N. Matsue, and T. Henmi, “Dissolution mechanism of nano-ball allophone with dilute alkali solution,” Clay Science, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 213–222, 2004.
- C. Su, J. B. Harsh, and J. S. Boyle, “Solubility of hydroxy-aluminum interlayers and imogolite in a Spodosol,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 373–379, 1995.