- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 512956, 6 pages
Toxicity of Aqueous Fullerene nC60 to Activated Sludge: Nitrification Inhibition and Microtox Test
1Research Center for Environmental Quality Management, Kyoto University, 1-2 Yumihama, Otsu 520-0811, Japan
2Testing and Analysis Division, Shimadzu Techno Research Inc., 1 Nishinokyo-Shimoaicho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto 604-8436, Japan
Received 3 April 2012; Accepted 11 June 2012
Academic Editor: Xiaoming Li
Copyright © 2012 Yongkui Yang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Duclos, K. Brister, R. C. Haddon, A. R. Kortan, and F. A. Thiel, “Effects of pressure and stress on C60 fullerite to 20 GPa,” Nature, vol. 351, no. 6325, pp. 380–382, 1991.
- B. S. Sherigara, W. Kutner, and F. D'Souza, “Electrocatalytic properties and sensor applications of fullerenes and carbon nanotubes,” Electroanalysis, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 753–772, 2003.
- H. Murayama, S. Tomonoh, J. M. Alford, and M. E. Karpuk, “Fullerene production in tons and more: from science to industry,” Fullerenes Nanotubes and Carbon Nanostructures, vol. 12, no. 1-2, pp. 1–9, 2004.
- Woodrow Wilson, “The project on emerging technologies,” 2012, http://www.nanotechproject.org/consumerproducts.
- C. M. Sayes, J. D. Fortner, W. Guo et al., “The differential cytotoxicity of water-soluble fullerenes,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1881–1887, 2004.
- J. D. Fortner, D. Y. Lyon, C. M. Sayes et al., “C60 in water: nanocrystal formation and microbial response,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 4307–4316, 2005.
- D. Y. Lyon, L. K. Adams, J. C. Falkner, and P. J. J. Alvarez, “Antibacterial activity of fullerene water suspensions: effects of preparation method and particle size,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 40, no. 14, pp. 4360–4366, 2006.
- S. Zhu, E. Oberdörster, and M. L. Haasch, “Toxicity of an engineered nanoparticle (fullerene, C60) in two aquatic species, Daphnia and fathead minnow,” Marine Environmental Research, vol. 62, supplement 1, pp. S5–S9, 2006.
- K. T. Kim, M. H. Jang, J. Y. Kim, and S. D. Kim, “Effect of preparation methods on toxicity of fullerene water suspensions to Japanese medaka embryos,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, no. 22, pp. 5606–5612, 2010.
- D. Y. Lyon, L. Brunet, G. W. Hinkal, M. R. Wiesner, and P. J. J. Alvarez, “Antibacterial activity of fullerene water suspensions (nC60) is not due to ROS-mediated damage,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1539–1543, 2008.
- Z. Liang, A. Das, and Z. Hu, “Bacterial response to a shock load of nanosilver in an activated sludge treatment system,” Water Research, vol. 44, no. 18, pp. 5432–5438, 2010.
- T. S. Radniecki, D. P. Stankus, A. Neigh, J. A. Nason, and L. Semprini, “Influence of liberated silver from silver nanoparticles on nitrification inhibition of Nitrosomonas europaea,” Chemosphere, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 2011.
- R. Ganesh, J. Smeraldi, T. Hosseini, L. Khatib, B. H. Olson, and D. Rosso, “Evaluation of nanocopper removal and toxicity in municipal wastewaters,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 44, no. 20, pp. 7808–7813, 2010.
- H. Mu, Y. Chen, and N. Xiao, “Effects of metal oxide nanoparticles (TiO2, Al2O3, SiO2 and ZnO) on waste activated sludge anaerobic digestion,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 22, pp. 10305–10311, 2011.
- S. Kang, M. S. Mauter, and M. Elimelech, “Microbial cytotoxicity of carbon-based nanomaterials: implications for river water and wastewater effluent,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 2648–2653, 2009.
- L. Nyberg, R. F. Turco, and L. Nies, “Assessing the impact of nanomaterials on anaerobic microbial communities,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1938–1943, 2008.
- Z. Chen, P. Westerhoff, and P. Herckes, “Quantification of C60 fullerene concentrations in water,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1852–1859, 2008.
- H. Hyung and J. H. Kim, “Dispersion of C60 in natural water and removal by conventional drinking water treatment processes,” Water Research, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 2463–2470, 2009.
- S. Deguchi, R. G. Alargova, and K. Tsujii, “Stable dispersions of fullerenes, C60 and C70, in water. Preparation and characterization,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 6013–6017, 2001.
- C. Wang, C. Shang, and P. Westerhoff, “Quantification of fullerene aggregate nC60 in wastewater by high-performance liquid chromatography with UV-vis spectroscopic and mass spectrometric detection,” Chemosphere, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 334–339, 2010.
- G. C. Ghosh, T. Okuda, N. Yamashita, and H. Tanaka, “Occurrence and elimination of antibiotics at four sewage treatment plants in Japan and their effects on bacterial ammonia oxidation,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 779–786, 2009.
- ISO, 9509, “Water quality-toxicity test for assessing the inhibition of nitrification of activated sludge microorganisms,” International Organization for Standardization, 2006.
- D. J. B. Dalzell, S. Alte, E. Aspichueta et al., “A comparison of five rapid direct toxicity assessment methods to determine toxicity of pollutants to activated sludge,” Chemosphere, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 535–545, 2002.
- S. Ren, “Assessing wastewater toxicity to activated sludge: recent research and developments,” Environment International, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1151–1164, 2004.
- Azur, Microtox Acute Toxicity Basic Test Procedures, Azur Environmental, Carlsbad, Calif, USA, 1995.
- APHA, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA, 20th edition, 1999.
- J. Lee, M. Cho, J. D. Fortner, J. B. Hughes, and J. H. Kim, “Transformation of aggregated C60 in the aqueous phase by UV irradiation,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 13, pp. 4878–4883, 2009.
- J. D. Fortner, D. I. Kim, A. M. Boyd et al., “Reaction of water-stable C60 aggregates with ozone,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 21, pp. 7497–7502, 2007.
- J. A. Brant, J. Labille, J. Y. Bottero, and M. R. Wiesner, “Characterizing the impact of preparation method on fullerene cluster structure and chemistry,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 3878–3885, 2006.
- M. Luna-delRisco, K. Orupõld, and H. C. Dubourguier, “Particle-size effect of CuO and ZnO on biogas and methane production during anaerobic digestion,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 189, no. 1-2, pp. 603–608, 2011.
- K. L. Chen and M. Elimelech, “Aggregation and deposition kinetics of fullerene (C60) nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 26, pp. 10994–11001, 2006.
- R. Cui, W. J. Chung, and D. Jahng, “A rapid and simple respirometric biosensor with immobilized cells of Nitrosomonas europaea for detecting inhibitors of ammonia oxidation,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1788–1795, 2005.
- Z. Tong, M. Bischoff, L. Nies, B. Applegate, and R. F. Turco, “Impact of fullerene (C60) on a soil microbial community,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 2985–2991, 2007.