- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 571015, 9 pages
Contrast Enhancement of Optical Coherence Tomography Images Using Branched Gold Nanoparticles
Photonics Division, Centro de Investigaciones en Óptica, A. C. Loma del Bosque 115, Col. Lomas del Campestre, 37150 León, GTO, Mexico
Received 7 August 2012; Revised 29 September 2012; Accepted 12 October 2012
Academic Editor: Shuangxi Xing
Copyright © 2012 Y. Ponce de León et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Yang, “Molecular contrast optical coherence tomography: a review,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 215–237, 2005.
- C. Xu, J. Ye, D. L. Marks, and S. A. Boppart, “Near-infrared dyes as contrast-enhancing agents for spectroscopic optical coherence tomography,” Optics Letters, vol. 29, no. 14, pp. 1647–1649, 2004.
- C. Yang, M. A. Choma, L. E. Lamb, J. D. Simon, and J. A. Izatt, “Protein-based molecular contrast optical coherence tomography with phytochrome as the contrast agent,” Optics Letters, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1396–1398, 2004.
- C. Yang, L. E. L. McGuckin, J. D. Simon, M. A. Choma, B. E. Applegate, and J. A. Izatt, “Spectral triangulation molecular contrast optical coherence tomography with indocyanine green as the contrast agent,” Optics Letters, vol. 29, no. 17, pp. 2016–2018, 2004.
- N. Iftimia, A. K. Iyer, D. X. Hammer et al., “Fluorescence-guided optical coherence tomography imaging for colon cancer screening: a preliminary mouse study,” Biomedical Optics Express, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 178–191, 2012.
- M. Pelton, J. Aizpurua, and G. Bryant, “Metal-nanoparticle plasmonics,” Laser and Photonics Reviews, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 136–159, 2008.
- M. Rycenga, C. M. Cobley, J. Zeng et al., “Controlling the synthesis and assembly of silver nanostructures for plasmonic applications,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 3669–3712, 2011.
- N. J. Halas, S. Lal, W. S. Chang, S. Link, and P. Nordlander, “Plasmons in strongly coupled metallic nanostructures,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 3913–3961, 2011.
- E. V. Zagaynova, M. V. Shirmanova, M. Y. Kirillin et al., “Contrasting properties of gold nanoparticles for optical coherence tomography: phantom, in vivo studies and Monte Carlo simulation,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 53, no. 18, pp. 4995–5009, 2008.
- Y. L. Kim, V. M. Turzhitsky, Y. Liu et al., “Low-coherence enhanced backscattering: a review of principles and applications for colon cancer screening,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 11, no. 4, Article ID 041125, 2006.
- T. S. Troutman, J. K. Barton, and M. Romanowski, “Optical coherence tomography with plasmon resonant nanorods of gold,” Optics Letters, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1438–1440, 2007.
- H. Cang, T. Sun, Z. Y. Li et al., “Gold nanocages as contrast agents for spectroscopic optical coherence tomography,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 22, pp. 3048–3050, 2005.
- S. A. Boppart, “Advances in contrast enhancement for optical coherence tomography,” in Proceedings of the 28th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS '06), pp. 121–124, New York, NY, USA, September 2006.
- M. A. Hahn, A. K. Singh, P. Sharma, S. C. Brown, and B. M. Moudgil, “Nanoparticles as contrast agents for in-vivo bioimaging: current status and future perspectives,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 399, no. 1, pp. 3–27, 2011.
- M. Grzelczak, J. Pérez-Juste, P. Mulvaney, and L. M. Liz-Marzán, “Shape control in gold nanoparticle synthesis,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1783–1791, 2008.
- T. K. Sau and A. L. Rogach, “Nonspherical noble metal nanoparticles:colloid-chemical synthesis and morphology control,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 16, pp. 1781–1804, 2010.
- B. Wiley, T. Herricks, Y. Sun, and Y. Xia, “Polyol synthesis of silver nanoparticles: use of chloride and oxygen to promote the formation of single-crystal, truncated cubes and tetrahedrons,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1733–1739, 2004.
- F. Hao, C. L. Nehl, J. H. Hafner, and P. Nordlander, “Plasmon resonances of a gold nanostar,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 729–732, 2007.
- K. Ozga, T. Kawaharamura, A. Ali Umar et al., “Second order optical effects in Au nanoparticle-deposited ZnO nanocrystallite films,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 18, Article ID 185709, 2008.
- I. V. Kityk, J. Ebothé, I. Fuks-Janczarek et al., “Nonlinear optical properties of Au nanoparticles on indium-tin oxide substrate,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1687–1692, 2005.
- B. van de Broek, N. Devoogdt, A. D'Hollander et al., “Specific cell targeting with nanobody conjugated branched gold nanoparticles for photothermal therapy,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 4319–4328, 2011.
- R. Wilson, “The use of gold nanoparticles in diagnostics and detection,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 2028–2045, 2008.
- C. Ungureanu, R. Kroes, W. Petersen et al., “Light interactions with gold nanorods and cells: implications for photothermal nanotherapeutics,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1887–1894, 2011.
- A. Agrawal, S. Huang, A. W. H. Lin et al., “Quantitative evaluation of optical coherence tomography signal enhancement with gold nanoshells,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 11, no. 4, Article ID 041121, 2006.
- N. R. Jana, L. Gearheart, and C. J. Murphy, “Seeding growth for size control of 5–40 nm diameter gold nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 22, pp. 6782–6786, 2001.
- S. Chen, Z. L. Wang, J. Ballato, S. H. Foulger, and D. L. Carroll, “Monopod, bipod, tripod, and tetrapod gold nanocrystals,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 52, pp. 16186–16187, 2003.
- M. Yamamoto, Y. Kashiwagi, T. Sakata, H. Mori, and M. Nakamoto, “Synthesis and morphology of star-shaped gold nanoplates protected by poly(N-vinyl-2-pyrrolidone),” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 22, pp. 5391–5393, 2005.
- O. M. Bakr, B. H. Wunsch, and F. Stellacci, “High-yield synthesis of multi-branched urchin-like gold nanoparticles,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 18, no. 14, pp. 3297–3301, 2006.
- J. Zhang, M. R. Langille, M. L. Personick, K. Zhang, S. Li, and C. A. Mirkin, “Concave cubic gold nanocrystals with high-index facets,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 40, pp. 14012–14014, 2010.
- H. Li, Y. Yang, Y. Wang, W. Li, L. Bi, and L. Wu, “In situ fabrication of flower-like gold nanoparticles in surfactant-polyoxometalate-hybrid spherical assemblies,” Chemical Communications, vol. 46, no. 21, pp. 3750–3752, 2010.
- J. Kimling, M. Maier, B. Okenve, V. Kotaidis, H. Ballot, and A. Plech, “Turkevich method for gold nanoparticle synthesis revisited,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 32, pp. 15700–15707, 2006.
- N. R. Jana, L. Gearheart, and C. J. Murphy, “Wet chemical synthesis of high aspect ratio cylindrical gold nanorods,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 19, pp. 4065–4067, 2001.
- B. Nikoobakht and M. A. El-Sayed, “Preparation and growth mechanism of gold nanorods (NRs) using seed-mediated growth method,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1957–1962, 2003.
- P. S. Kumar, I. Pastoriza-Santos, B. Rodríguez-González, F. Javier García de Abajo, and L. M. Liz-Marzán, “High-yield synthesis and optical response of gold nanostars,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 1, Article ID 015606, 2008.
- S. Trigari, A. Rindi, G. Margheri, S. Sottini, G. Dellepiane, and E. Giorgetti, “Synthesis and modelling of gold nanostars with tunable morphology and extinction spectrum,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 6531–6540, 2011.