- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 571315, 7 pages
Preparation and Characterization of Self-Assembled Thin Film of MPS-Capped ZnS Quantum Dots for Optical Applications
1Department of Physics, Yildiz Technical University, Esenler, 34220 Istanbul, Turkey
2Department of Physics, Istanbul Technical University, Maslak, 34469 Istanbul, Turkey
3Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Kadir Has University, Fatih, 34083 Istanbul, Turkey
Received 25 June 2012; Revised 16 October 2012; Accepted 16 October 2012
Academic Editor: Suprakas Sinha Ray
Copyright © 2012 Kenan Koç et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Planelles-Aragó, E. Cordoncillo, R. A. S. Ferreira, L. D. Carlos, and P. Escribano, “Synthesis, characterization and optical studies on lanthanide-doped CdS quantum dots: new insights on CdS → lanthanide energy transfer mechanisms,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1162–1170, 2011.
- K. P. Velikov and A. van Blaaderen, “Synthesis and characterization of monodisperse core-shell colloidal spheres of zinc sulfide and silica,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 16, pp. 4779–4786, 2001.
- S. H. Mohamed, “Photocatalytic, optical and electrical properties of copper-doped zinc sulfide thin films,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 43, no. 3, Article ID 035406, 8 pages, 2010.
- H. Li, W. Y. Shih, and W.-H. Shih, “Stable aqueous ZnS quantum dots obtained using (3-mercaptopropyl) trimethoxysilane as a capping molecule,” Nanotechnology, vol. 18, no. 49, Article ID 495605, 7 pages, 2007.
- J. Chung, S. Lee, and D. U. J. Jang, “ZnS nanoparticle treatment to enhance its luminescence, shape, and stability,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 377, no. 1, pp. 85–88, 2002.
- N. Hebalkar, A. Lobo, S. R. Sainkar et al., “Properties of zinc sulphide nanoparticles stabilized in silica,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 36, no. 18, pp. 4377–4384, 2001.
- N. Fathy and M. Ichimura, “Photoelectrical properties of ZnS thin films deposited from aqueous solution using pulsed electrochemical deposition,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 87, no. 1–4, pp. 747–756, 2005.
- T. Zhai, Z. Gu, Y. Ma, W. Yang, L. Zhao, and J. Yao, “Synthesis of ordered ZnS nanotubes by MOCVD-template method,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 100, no. 2-3, pp. 281–284, 2006.
- R. Tremont, H. D. Jesús-Cardona, J. García-Orozco, R. J. Castro, and C. R. Cabrera, “3-Mercaptopropyltrimethoxysilane as a Cu corrosion inhibitor in KCl solution,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 737–743, 2000.
- K. C. Grabar, P. C. Smith, M. D. Musick et al., “Kinetic control of interparticle spacing in Au colloid-based surfaces: rational nanometer-scale architecture,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 1148–1153, 1996.
- M. Brust, D. Bethell, C. J. Kiely, and D. J. Schiffrin, “Self-assembled gold nanoparticle thin films with nonmetallic optical and electronic properties,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 19, pp. 5425–5429, 1998.
- Q. Wang, N. Iancu, and D. K. Seo, “Preparation of large transparent silica monoliths with embedded photoluminescent CdSe@ZnS core/shell quantum dots,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 19, pp. 4762–4764, 2005.
- M. Guglielmi, A. Martucci, E. Menegazzo et al., “Control of semiconductor particle size in sol-gel thin films,” Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, vol. 8, no. 1–3, pp. 1017–1021, 1997.
- K. Koç, F. Z. Tepehan, and G. G. Tepehan, “Characterization of MPS capped CdS quantum dots and formation of self-assembled quantum dots thin films on a glassy substrate,” Chalcogenide Letters, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 239–247, 2011.
- J. Singh and J. E. Whitten, “Adsorption of 3-mercaptopropyltrimethoxysilane on silicon oxide surfaces and adsorbate interaction with thermally deposited gold,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 48, pp. 19088–19096, 2008.
- A. Scott and J. E. Gray-Munro, “The surface chemistry of 3-mercaptopropyltrimethoxysilane films deposited on magnesium alloy AZ91,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 517, no. 24, pp. 6809–6816, 2009.
- W. R. Thompson, M. Cai, M. Ho, and J. E. Pemberton, “Hydrolysis and condensation of self-assembled monolayers of (3-mercaptopropyl)trimethoxysilane on Ag and Au surfaces,” Langmuir, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 2291–2302, 1997.
- B. Steitz, Y. Axmann, H. Hofmann, and A. Petri-Fink, “Optical properties of annealed Mn2+-doped ZnS nanoparticles,” Journal of Luminescence, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 92–98, 2008.
- R. Thielsch, T. Böhme, and H. Böttcher, “Optical and structural properties of nanocrystalline ZnS-SiO2 composite films,” Physica Status Solidi (A), vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 157–170, 1996.
- B. Bhattacharjee, D. Ganguli, S. Chaudhuri, and A. K. Pal, “Synthesis and optical characterization of sol-gel derived zinc sulphide nanoparticles confined in amorphous silica thin films,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 372–379, 2003.
- C. L. Wang, L. Gou, J. M. Zaleski, and D. L. Friesel, “ZnS quantum dot based nanocomposite scintillators for thermal neutron detection,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, vol. 622, no. 1, pp. 186–190, 2010.
- J. Mu, D. Gu, and Z. Xu, “Synthesis and stabilization of ZnS nanoparticles embedded in silica nanospheres,” Applied Physics A, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 1425–1429, 2005.
- P. Yang, M. K. Lü, C. F. Song et al., “Strong visible-light emission of ZnS nanocrystals embedded in sol-gel silica xerogel,” Materials Science and Engineering B, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 149–153, 2003.
- B. Bhattacharjee, D. Ganguli, K. Iakoubovskii, A. Stesmans, and S. Chaudhuri, “Synthesis and characterization of sol-gel derived ZnS: Mn2+ nanocrystallites embedded in a silica matrix,” Bulletin of Materials Science, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 175–180, 2002.
- S. F. Wuister and A. Meijerink, “Synthesis and luminescence of CdS quantum dots capped with a silica precursor,” Journal of Luminescence, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 2003.
- J. Nanda, S. Sapra, D. D. Sarma, N. Chandrasekharan, and G. Hodes, “Size-selected zinc sulfide nanocrystallites: synthesis, structure, and optical studies,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1018–1024, 2000.
- N. Hebalkar, S. Kharrazi, A. Ethiraj, J. Urban, R. Fink, and S. K. Kulkarni, “Structural and optical investigations of SiO2-CdS core-shell particles,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 278, no. 1, pp. 107–114, 2004.
- B. Stuart, Modern Infrared Spectroscopy, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- J. Habsuda, G. P. Simon, Y. B. Cheng, D. G. Hewitt, D. A. Lewis, and H. Toh, “Organic-inorganic hybrids derived from 2-hydroxyethylmethacrylate and (3-methacryloyloxypropyl)trimethoxysilane,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 15, pp. 4123–4136, 2002.
- A. G. Hardie, J. J. Dynes, L. M. Kozak, and P. M. Huang, “Influence of polyphenols on the integrated polyphenolmaillard reaction humifýcation pathway as catalyzed by birnessite,” Annals of Environmental Science, vol. 1, pp. 91–110, 2007.
- E. Tang, H. Liu, L. Sun, E. Zheng, and G. Cheng, “Fabrication of zinc oxide/poly(styrene) grafted nanocomposite latex and its dispersion,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 4210–4218, 2007.
- Y. Kayanuma, “Quantum-size effects of interacting electrons and holes in semiconductor microcrystals with spherical shape,” Physical Review B, vol. 38, no. 14, pp. 9797–9805, 1988.
- H. Chihara, N. Nakamura, K. H. Hellwege, and A. M. Hellwege, Landolt-Börnstein: Numerical Data and Functional Relationships in Science and Technology, vol. 22, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1987.
- C. N. R. Rao, A. Müller, and A. K. Cheetham, Eds., Nanomaterials Chemistry: Recent Developments and New Directions, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2007.
- S. H. Mohamed, M. El-Hagary, and M. Emam-Ismail, “Thickness and annealing effects on the optoelectronic properties of ZnS films,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 43, no. 7, Article ID 075401, 7 pages, 2010.
- X. Wu, F. Lai, Y. Lin, Z. Huang, and R. Chen, “Effects of substrate temperature and annealing on the structure and optical properties of ZnS film,” in 3rd International Symposium on Advanced Optical Manufacturing and Testing Technologies: Advanced Optical Manufacturing Technologies, vol. 6722 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 67222L-1–67222L-6, July 2007.
- K. Koc, F. Z. Tepehan, and G. G. Tepehan, “Antireflecting coating from Ta2O5 and SiO2 multilayer films,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1363–1366, 2005.