- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 656914, 8 pages
Factorial Study of Compressive Mechanical Properties and Primary In Vitro Osteoblast Response of PHBV/PLLA Scaffolds
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
2Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Biosciences and Medical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor, 81310 Johor Bahru, Malaysia
3Department of Architecture, Faculty of Built Enviroment, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor, 81310 Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Received 11 September 2012; Accepted 30 October 2012
Academic Editor: Xiao-Miao Feng
Copyright © 2012 Naznin Sultana and Tareef Hayat Khan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. X. Ma, “Scaffolds for tissue fabrication,” Materials Today, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 30–40, 2004.
- P. A. Holmes, Developments in Crystalline Polymers, Edited by D. C. Bassett, Elsevier Applied Science, London, UK, 1982.
- B. Duan, M. Wang, W. Y. Zhou, W. L. Cheung, Z. Y. Li, and W. W. Lu, “Three-dimensional nanocomposite scaffolds fabricated via selective laser sintering for bone tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 4495–4505, 2010.
- H. W. Tong, M. Wang, Z. Y. Li, and W. W. Lu, “Electrospinning, characterization and in vitro biological evaluation of nanocomposite fibers containing carbonated hydroxyapatite nanoparticles,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 5, no. 5, Article ID 054111, 2010.
- N. Sultana and M. Wang, “PHBV/PLLA-based composite scaffolds fabricated using an emulsion freezing/freeze-drying technique for bone tissue engineering: surface modification and in vitro biological evaluation,” Biofabrication, vol. 4, Article ID 015003, 2012.
- N. Sultana and T. H. Khan, “In Vitro degradation of PHBV scaffolds and nHA/PHBV composite scaffolds containing hydroxyapatite nanoparticles for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 190950, 12 pages, 2012.
- N. Sultana and M. Wang, “PHBV/PLLA-based composite scaffolds containing nano-sized hydroxyapatite particles for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Experimental Nanoscience, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 121–132, 2008.
- P. X. Ma, R. Zhang, G. Xiao, and R. Franceschi, “Engineering new bone tissue in vitro on highly porous poly(alpha-hydroxyl acids)/hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 54, pp. 284–293, 2001.
- H. Wang, Y. Li, Y. Zuo, J. Li, S. Ma, and L. Cheng, “Biocompatibility and osteogenesis of biomimetic nano-hydroxyapatite/polyamide composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 22, pp. 3338–3348, 2007.
- K. Whang and K. E. Healy, “Processing of polymer scaffolds: freeze-drying,” in Methods of Tissue Engineering, A. Atala and R. P. Lanza, Eds., p. 1285, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2002.
- N. Sultana and M. Wang, “Fabrication of tissue engineering scaffolds using the emulsion freezing/freeze-drying technique and characteristics of the scaffolds,” in Integrated Biomaterials in Tissue Engineering, pp. 63–89, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
- T. J. Webster, C. Ergun, R. H. Doremus, R. W. Siegel, and R. Bizios, “Specific proteins mediate enhanced osteoblast adhesion on nanophase ceramics,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 51, pp. 475–483, 2000.
- S. Patil, A. Sandberg, E. Heckert, W. Self, and S. Seal, “Protein adsorption and cellular uptake of cerium oxide nanoparticles as a function of zeta potential,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 31, pp. 4600–4607, 2007.
- W. Y. Zhou, M. Wang, W. L. Cheung, B. C. Guo, and D. M. Jia, “Synthesis of carbonated hydroxyapatite nanospheres through nanoemulsion,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 103–110, 2008.
- G. E. P. Box, J. S. Hunter, and W. G. Hunter, Statistics for Experimenters: Design, Innovation, and Discovery, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2nd ed edition, 2005.
- N. Sultana and M. Wang, “Fabrication of HA/PHBV composite scaffolds through the emulsion freezing/freeze-drying process and characterisation of the scaffolds,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 2555–2561, 2008.
- M. J. Yaszemski, R. G. Payne, W. C. Hayes, R. S. Langer, T. B. Aufdemorte, and A. G. Mikos, “The ingrowth of new bone tissue and initial mechanical properties of a degrading polymeric composite scaffold,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 1, pp. 41–52, 1995.
- J. D. Andrade, V. Hlady, and A. P. Wei, “Adsorption of complex proteins at interfaces,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 64, pp. 1777–1781, 1992.
- T. Sun, M. Wang, and W. C. Lee, “Surface characteristics, properties and in vitro biological assessment of a NiTi shape memory alloy after high temperature heat treatment or surface H2O2-oxidation: a comparative study,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 130, no. 1-2, pp. 45–58, 2011.