- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 753429, 9 pages
Efficient Visible Light Photocatalytic Oxidation of NO on F- and N-Codoped Spherical Synthesized via Ultrasonic Spray Pyrolysis
1Environmental and Life Sciences Department, Putian University, Putian 351100, China
2Nano and Advanced Materials Institute Limited, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
3Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Research Center for Environmental Technology and Management, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
4Department of Science and Environmental Studies, The Hong Kong Institute of Education, Hong Kong
Received 8 June 2012; Accepted 3 October 2012
Academic Editor: Gong Ru Lin
Copyright © 2012 Jianhui Huang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Heinrich, “Influence of indoor factors in dwellings on the development of childhood asthma,” International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, vol. 214, no. 1, pp. 1–25, 2011.
- C. Nguyen, C. G. Sonwane, S. K. Bhatia, and D. D. Do, “Adsorption of benzene and ethanol on MCM-41 material,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 17, pp. 4950–4952, 1998.
- E. N. Coker, C. Jia, and H. G. Karge, “Adsorption of benzene and benzene derivatives onto zeolite H-Y studied by microcalorimetry,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 1205–1210, 2000.
- K. Yu and G. W. M. Lee, “Decomposition of gas-phase toluene by the combination of ozone and photocatalytic oxidation process (TiO2/UV, TiO2/UV/O3, and UV/O3),” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 75, no. 1-2, pp. 29–38, 2007.
- M. Koch, D. R. Cohn, R. M. Patrick et al., “Electron beam atmospheric pressure cold plasma decomposition of carbon tetrachloride and trichloroethylene,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 2946–2952, 1995.
- J. C. Yu, J. G. Yu, L. Z. Zhang, and W. K. Ho, “Enhancing effects of water content and ultrasonic irradiation on the photocatalytic activity of nano-sized TiO2 powders,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 148, no. 1–3, pp. 263–271, 2002.
- H. F. Xu, G. Vanamu, H. Konishi, R. Yeredla, J. Phillips, and Y. F. Wang, “Photocatalytic oxidation of a volatile organic component of acetaldehyde using titanium oxide nanotubes,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2006, Article ID 78902, 8 pages, 2006.
- J. G. Yu, H. G. Yu, B. Cheng, X. J. Zhao, and Q. J. Zhang, “Preparation and photocatalytic activity of mesoporous anatase TiO2 nanofibers by a hydrothermal method,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 182, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 2006.
- X. F. Chen, X. C. Wang, and X. Z. Fu, “Hierarchical macro/mesoporous TiO2/SiO2 and TiO2/ZrO2 nanocomposites for environmental photocatalysis,” Energy & Environmental Science, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 872–877, 2009.
- K. Wilke and H. D. Breuer, “The influence of transition metal doping on the physical and photocatalytic properties of titania,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 1999.
- J. S. Zhang, X. F. Chen, K. Takanabe et al., “Synthesis of a carbon nitride structure for visible-light catalysis by copolymerization,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 441–444, 2010.
- H. Irie, S. Washizuka, N. Yoshino, and K. Hashimoto, “Visible-light induced hydrophilicity on nitrogen-substituted titanium dioxide films,” Chemical Communications, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1298–1299, 2003.
- S. Horikoshi, Y. Minatodani, H. Sakai, M. Abe, and N. Serpone, “Characteristics of microwaves on second generation nitrogen-doped TiO2 nanoparticles and their effect on photoassisted processes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 217, no. 1, pp. 191–200, 2011.
- W. Guo, L. Q. Wu, Z. Chen, G. Boschloo, A. Hagfeldt, and T. L. Ma, “Highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cells based on nitrogen-doped titania with excellent stability,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 219, no. 2-3, pp. 180–187, 2011.
- J. G. Yu, J. C. Yu, B. Cheng, S. K. Hark, and K. Iu, “The effect of F−doping and temperature on the structural and textural evolution of mesoporous TiO2 powders,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 372–380, 2003.
- J. S. Jang, H. G. Kim, S. M. Ji et al., “Formation of crystalline TiO2-xNx and its photocatalytic activity,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 1067–1075, 2006.
- Y. Xie, X. Zhao, Y. Chen, Q. Zhao, and Q. Yuan, “Preparation and characterization of porous C-modified anatase titania films with visible light catalytic activity,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 180, no. 12, pp. 3576–3582, 2007.
- J. C. Yu, W. K. Ho, J. G. Yu, H. Y. Yip, P. K. Wong, and J. C. Zhao, “Efficient visible-light-induced photocatalytic disinfection on sulfur-doped nanocrystalline titania,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1175–1179, 2005.
- R. Asahi, T. Morikawa, T. Ohwaki, K. Aoki, and Y. Taga, “Visible-light photocatalysis in nitrogen-doped titanium oxides,” Science, vol. 293, no. 5528, pp. 269–271, 2001.
- H. Irie, Y. Watanabe, and K. Hashimoto, “Nitrogen-concentration dependence on photocatalytic activity of TiO2-xNx powders,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 23, pp. 5483–5486, 2003.
- Q. C. Xu, D. V. Wellia, S. Yan, D. W. Liao, T. M. Lim, and T. T. Y. Tan, “Enhanced photocatalytic activity of C-N-codoped TiO2 films prepared via an organic-free approach,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 188, no. 1V3, pp. 172–180, 2011.
- J. A. Rengifo-Herrera, K. Pierzchała, A. Sienkiewicz et al., “Synthesis, characterization, and photocatalytic activities of nanoparticulate N, S-codoped TiO2 having different surface-to-volume ratios,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 2717–2723, 2010.
- H. J. Tian, L. H. Hu, W. X. Li, J. Sheng, S. Xu, and S. Dai, “A facile synthesis of anatase N,B codoped TiO2 anodes for improved-performance dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 20, pp. 7074–7077, 2011.
- R. Long and N. J. English, “First-principles calculation of synergistic (N, P)-codoping effects on the visible-light photocatalytic activity of anatase TiO2,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 27, pp. 11984–11990, 2010.
- W. Ho, J. C. Yu, and S. C. Lee, “Synthesis of hierarchical nanoporous F-doped TiO2 spheres with visible light photocatalytic activity,” Chemical Communications, no. 10, pp. 1115–1117, 2006.
- Y. L. Su, X. W. Zhang, M. H. Zhou, S. Han, and L. C. Lei, “Preparation of high efficient photoelectrode of N-F-codoped TiO2 nanotubes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 194, no. 2-3, pp. 152–160, 2008.
- D. Li, N. Ohashi, S. Hishita, T. Kolodiazhnyi, and H. Haneda, “Origin of visible-light-driven photocatalysis: a comparative study on N/F-doped and N-F-codoped TiO2 powders by means of experimental characterizations and theoretical calculations,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 178, no. 11, pp. 3293–3302, 2005.
- S. Livraghi, K. Elghniji, A. M. Czoska, M. C. Paganini, E. Giamello, and M. Ksibi, “Nitrogen-doped and nitrogen-fluorine-codoped titanium dioxide. Nature and concentration of the photoactive species and their role in determining the photocatalytic activity under visible light,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 205, no. 2-3, pp. 93–97, 2009.
- D. G. Huang, S. J. Liao, J. M. Liu, Z. Dang, and L. Petrik, “Preparation of visible-light responsive N-F-codoped TiO2 photocatalyst by a sol-gel-solvothermal method,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 282–288, 2006.
- J. Xu, B. Yang, M. Wu, Z. Fu, Y. Lv, and Y. Zhao, “Novel N-F-codoped TiO2 inverse opal with a hierarchical meso-/macroporous structure: synthesis, characterization, and photocatalysis,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 36, pp. 15251–15259, 2010.
- S. W. Hu, J. Zhu, L. Wu et al., “Effect of fluorination on photocatalytic degradation of rhodamine B over in(OH)ySz: promotion or Suppression?” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 460–467, 2011.
- J. C. Yu, J. G. Yu, W. K. Ho, Z. T. Jiang, and L. Z. Zhang, “Effects of F-doping on the photocatalytic activity and microstructures of nanocrystalline TiO2 powders,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 3808–3816, 2002.
- A. Vijayabalan, K. Selvam, R. Velmurugan, and M. Swaminathan, “Photocatalytic activity of surface fluorinated TiO2-P25 in the degradation of Reactive Orange 4,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 172, no. 2-3, pp. 914–921, 2009.
- Q. Wang, C. Chen, W. Ma, H. Zhu, and J. Zhao, “Pivotal role of fluorine in tuning band structure and visible-light photocatalytic activity of nitrogen-doped TiO2,” Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 19, pp. 4765–4769, 2009.
- G. W. Koebrugge, L. Winnubst, and A. J. Burggraaf, “Thermal stability of nanostructured titania and titania-ceria ceramic powders prepared by the sol-gel process,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 1095–1100, 1993.
- S. J. Kim, S. D. Park, Y. H. Jeong, and S. Park, “Homogeneous precipitation of TiO2 ultrafine powders from aqueous TiOCl2 solution,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 927–932, 1999.
- H. B. Yin, Y. Wada, T. Kitamura et al., “Hydrothermal synthesis of nanosized anatase and ruffle TiO2 using amorphous phase TiO2,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1694–1703, 2001.
- S. E. Skrabalak and K. S. Suslick, “Carbon powders prepared by ultrasonic spray pyrolysis of substituted alkali benzoates,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 48, pp. 17807–17811, 2007.
- K. D. Kim, K. Y. Choi, and J. W. Yang, “Formation of spherical hollow silica particles from sodium silicate solution by ultrasonic spray pyrolysis method,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 254, no. 1–3, pp. 193–198, 2005.
- Z. Ai, L. Zhang, and S. Lee, “Efficient visible light photocatalytic oxidation of NO on aerosol flow-synthesized nanocrystalline InVO4 hollow microspheres,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 43, pp. 18594–18600, 2010.
- Y. Huang, Z. Ai, W. Ho, M. Chen, and S. Lee, “Ultrasonic spray pyrolysis synthesis of porous Bi2WO6 microspheres and their visible-light-induced photocatalytic removal of NO,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 114, no. 14, pp. 6342–6349, 2010.
- X. Z. Li and F. B. Li, “Study of Au/Au3+-TiO2 photocatalysts toward visible photooxidation for water and wastewater treatment,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2381–2387, 2001.
- M. Zhou, J. Yu, and H. Yu, “Effects of urea on the microstructure and photocatalytic activity of bimodal mesoporous titania microspheres,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 313, no. 1-2, pp. 107–113, 2009.
- J. Zhang, A. Elsanousi, J. Lin et al., “Aerosol-assisted self-assembly of aluminum borate (Al18B4O33) nanowires into three dimensional hollow spherical architectures,” Crystal Growth and Design, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 2764–2767, 2007.
- A. G. Kontos, M. Pelaez, V. Likodimos, N. Vaenas, D. D. Dionysiou, and P. Falaras, “Visible light induced wetting of nanostructured N-F co-doped titania films,” Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 350–354, 2011.
- I. N. Martyanov, S. Uma, S. Rodrigues, and K. J. Klabunde, “Structural defects cause TiO2-based photocatalysts to be active in visible light,” Chemical Communications, vol. 10, no. 21, pp. 2476–2477, 2004.
- T. L. Ma, M. Akiyama, E. Abe, and I. Imai, “High-efficiency dye-sensitized solar cell based on a nitrogen-doped nanostructured titania electrode,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 2543–2547, 2005.
- O. Diwald, T. L. Thompson, T. Zubkov, E. G. Goralski, S. D. Walck, and J. T. Yates, “Photochemical activity of nitrogen-doped rutile TiO2(110) in visible light,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 19, pp. 6004–6008, 2004.
- J. Fang, F. Shi, J. Bu et al., “One-step synthesis of bifunctional TiO2 catalysts and their photocatalytic activity,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 17, pp. 7940–7948, 2010.
- J. L. Gole, J. D. Stout, C. Burda, Y. Lou, and X. Chen, “Highly efficient formation of visible light tunable TiO2-xNx photocatalysts and their transformation at the nanoscale,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 1230–1240, 2004.
- S. Sakthivel and H. Kisch, “Photocatalytic and photoelectrochemical properties of nitrogen-doped titanium dioxide,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 487–490, 2003.
- J. A. Rodriguez, T. Jirsak, G. Liu, J. Hrbek, J. Dvorak, and A. Maiti, “Chemistry of NO2 on oxide surfaces: formation of NO3 on TiO2(110) and NO2O vacancy interactions,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 39, pp. 9597–9605, 2001.
- D. Li, H. Haneda, S. Hishita, and N. Ohashi, “Visible-light-driven nitrogen-doped TiO2 photocatalysts: effect of nitrogen precursors on their photocatalysis for decomposition of gas-phase organic pollutants,” Materials Science and Engineering B, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 2005.
- D. Li, H. Haneda, S. Hishita, and N. Ohashi, “Visible-light-driven N-F-codoped TiO2 photocatalysts. 2. Optical characterization, photocatalysis, and potential application to air purification,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2596–2602, 2005.
- J. Zhu, J. Yang, Z. F. Bian, et al., “Nanocrystalline anatase TiO2 photocatalysts prepared via a facile low temperature nonhydrolytic sol-gel reaction of TiCl4 and benzyl alcohol,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 76, no. 1-2, pp. 82–91, 2007.