- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 759830, 13 pages
Nanobiosensors Based on Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance for Biomarker Detection
1Department of Biomedical Engineering, Yonsei University, Wonju, Gangwondo 220-710, Republic of Korea
2Department of Radiology, College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Seoul 120-749, Republic of Korea
3Severance Biomedical Science Institute (SBSI), Seoul 120-752, Republic of Korea
4YUMS-KRIBB Medical Convergence Center, College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Seoul 120-749, Republic of Korea
5Severance Integrative Research Institute for Cerebral & Cardiovascular Diseases, Yonsei University Health System, Seoul 120-752, Republic of Korea
Received 14 March 2012; Revised 5 August 2012; Accepted 5 August 2012
Academic Editor: Miguel A. Correa-Duarte
Copyright © 2012 Yoochan Hong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Nicu and T. Leichle, “Biosensors and tools for surface functionalization from the macro- to the nanoscale: the way forward,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 104, no. 11, pp. 111101–111116, 2008.
- A. M. Yates, S. J. Elvin, and D. E. Williamson, “The optimisation of a murine TNF-α ELISA and the application of the method to other murine cytokines,” Journal of Immunoassay, vol. 20, no. 1-2, pp. 31–44, 1999.
- J. Renart, J. Reiser, and G. R. Stark, “Transfer of proteins from gels to diazobenzyloxymethyl-paper and detection with antisera: a method for studying antibody specificity and antigen structure,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 3116–3120, 1979.
- M. A. Lee, G. Brightwell, D. Leslie, H. Bird, and A. Hamilton, “Fluorescent detection techniques for real-time multiplex strand specific detection of Bacillus anthracis using rapid PCR,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 218–223, 1999.
- L. B. Sagle, L. K. Ruvuna, J. A. Ruemmele, et al., “Advances in localized surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy biosensing,” Nanomedicine, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1447–1462, 2011.
- Z. Fu, S. Rogelj, and T. L. Kieft, “Rapid detection of Escherichia coli O157:H7 by immunomagnetic separation and real-time PCR,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 47–57, 2005.
- J. E. Olsen, S. Aabo, W. Hill, et al., “Probes and polymerase chain reaction for detection of food-borne bacterial pathogens,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–78, 1995.
- A. Vallée-Bélisle, F. Ricci, and K. W. Plaxco, “Engineering biosensors with extended, narrowed, or arbitrarily edited dynamic range,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 2876–2879, 2011.
- J. Zhao, X. Zhang, C. R. Yonzon, A. J. Haes, and R. P. Van Duyne, “Localized surface plasmon resonance biosensors,” Nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 219–228, 2006.
- A. J. Haes, W. P. Hall, L. Chang, W. L. Klein, and R. P. Van Duyne, “A localized surface plasmon resonance biosensor: first steps toward an assay for Alzheimer's disease,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1029–1034, 2004.
- S. Link and M. A. El-Sayed, “Erratum: simulation of the optical absorption spectra of gold nanorods as a function of their aspect ratio and the effect of the medium dielectric constant (Journal of Physical Chemistry B (1999) 103B),” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 20, pp. 10531–10532, 2005.
- K. M. Mayer and J. H. Hafner, “Localized surface plasmon resonance sensors,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 3828–3857, 2011.
- E. Petryayeva and U. J. Krull, “Localized surface plasmon resonance: nanostructures, bioassays and biosensing-a review,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 706, no. 1, pp. 8–24, 2011.
- K. A. Willets and R. P. Van Duyne, “Localized surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy and sensing,” Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, vol. 58, pp. 267–297, 2007.
- A. J. Haes, L. Chang, W. L. Klein, and R. P. Van Duyne, “Detection of a biomarker for Alzheimer's disease from synthetic and clinical samples using a nanoscale optical biosensor,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 7, pp. 2264–2271, 2005.
- S. Chen, M. Svedendahl, R. P. V. Duyne, and M. Käll, “Plasmon-enhanced colorimetric ELISA with single molecule sensitivity,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1826–1830, 2011.
- T. Huang, P. D. Nallathamby, and X. H. N. Xu, “Photostable single-molecule nanoparticle optical biosensors for real-time sensing of single cytokine molecules and their binding reactions,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 130, no. 50, pp. 17095–17105, 2008.
- S. Chen, M. Svedendahl, M. Käll, L. Gunnarsson, and A. Dmitriev, “Ultrahigh sensitivity made simple: nanoplasmonic label-free biosensing with an extremely low limit-of-detection for bacterial and cancer diagnostics,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 43, Article ID 434015, 2009.
- Y. M. W. Zhou, H. Yang, Y. Ding, and X. Luo, “A label-free biosensor based on silver nanoparticles array for clinical detection of serum p53 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 381–386, 2011.
- W. S. Hwang and S. J. Sim, “A Strategy for the ultrasensitive detection of cancer biomarkers based on the LSPR response of a single AuNP,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 5651–5656, 2011.
- J. B. González-Díaz, A. García-Martín, J. M. García-Martín et al., “Plasmonic Au/Co/Au nanosandwiches with enhanced magneto-optical activity,” Small, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 202–205, 2008.
- G. X. Du, T. Mori, M. Suzuki, S. Saito, H. Fukuda, and M. Takahashi, “Evidence of localized surface plasmon enhanced magneto-optical effect in nanodisk array,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 96, no. 8, article 081915, 3 pages, 2010.
- G. Mie, “Beitrge zur optik trüber medien, speziell kolloidaler metallösungen,” Annalen Der Physik, vol. 330, no. 3, pp. 377–445, 1908.
- E. Hutter and J. H. Fendler, “Exploitation of localized surface plasmon resonance,” Advanced Materials, vol. 16, no. 19, pp. 1685–1706, 2004.
- J. Pérez-Juste, I. Pastoriza-Santos, L. M. Liz-Marzán, and P. Mulvaney, “Gold nanorods: synthesis, characterization and applications,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 249, no. 17-18, pp. 1870–1901, 2005.
- R. Gans, “Über die form ultramikroskopischer goldteilchen,” Annalen Der Physik, vol. 342, no. 5, pp. 881–900, 1912.
- R. Gans, “Über die form ultramikroskopischer silberteilchen,” Annalen Der Physik, vol. 352, no. 10, pp. 270–284, 1915.
- S. Link, M. B. Mohamed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Simulation of the optical absorption spectra of gold nanorods as a function of their aspect ratio and the effect of the medium dielectric constant,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 16, pp. 3073–3077, 1999.
- S. Eustis and M. A. El-Sayed, “Determination of the aspect ratio statistical distribution of gold nanorods in solution from a theoretical fit of the observed inhomogeneously broadened longitudinal plasmon resonance absorption spectrum,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 100, no. 4, article 044324, 7 pages, 2006.
- T. R. Jensen, M. L. Duval, K. L. Kelly, A. A. Lazarides, G. C. Schatz, and R. P. Van Duyne, “Nanosphere lithography: effect of the external dielectric medium on the surface plasmon resonance spectrum of a periodic array of silver nanoparticles,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 45, pp. 9846–9853, 1999.
- X. Lu, M. Rycenga, S. E. Skrabalak, B. Wiley, and Y. Xia, “Chemical synthesis of novel plasmonic nanoparticles,” Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, vol. 60, pp. 167–192, 2009.
- L. M. Liz-Marzán, “Tailoring surface plasmons through the morphology and assembly of metal nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 32–41, 2006.
- A. D. McFarland and R. P. Van Duyne, “Single silver nanoparticles as real-time optical sensors with zeptomole sensitivity,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 1057–1062, 2003.
- B. Sepúlveda, P. C. Angelomé, L. M. Lechuga, and L. M. Liz-Marzán, “LSPR-based nanobiosensors,” Nano Today, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 244–251, 2009.
- C. Xue, Z. Li, and C. A. Mirkin, “Large-scale assembly of single-crystal silver nanoprism monolayers,” Small, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 513–516, 2005.
- K. Fujiwara, H. Watarai, H. Itoh, E. Nakahama, and N. Ogawa, “Measurement of antibody binding to protein immobilized on gold nanoparticles by localized surface plasmon spectroscopy,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 386, no. 3, pp. 639–644, 2006.
- M. P. Kreuzer, R. Quidant, G. Badenes, and M. P. Marco, “Quantitative detection of doping substances by a localised surface plasmon sensor,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1345–1349, 2006.
- W. Rechberger, A. Hohenau, A. Leitner, J. R. Krenn, B. Lamprecht, and F. R. Aussenegg, “Optical properties of two interacting gold nanoparticles,” Optics Communications, vol. 220, no. 1–3, pp. 137–141, 2003.
- A. Boltasseva, “Plasmonic components fabrication via nanoimprint,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 11, no. 11, article 114001, 2009.
- P. L. Stiles, J. A. Dieringer, N. C. Shah, and R. P. Van Duyne, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Annual Review of Analytical Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 601–626, 2008.
- A. Kosiorek, W. Kandulski, H. Glaczynska, and M. Giersig, “Fabrication of nanoscale rings, dots, and rods by combining shadow nanosphere lithography and annealed polystyrene nanosphere masks,” Small, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 439–444, 2005.
- H. M. Bok, K. L. Shuford, S. G. Kim, S. Kyukim, and S. Park, “Multiple surface plasmon modes for gold/silver alloy nanorods,” Langmuir, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 5266–5270, 2009.
- A. B. Dahlin, J. O. Tegenfeldt, and F. Höök, “Improving the instrumental resolution of sensors based on localized surface plasmon resonance,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 13, pp. 4416–4423, 2006.
- P. Maruvada, W. Wang, P. D. Wagner, and S. Srivastava, “Biomarkers in molecular medicine: cancer detection and diagnosis,” BioTechniques., supplement 9–15, 2005.
- H. Kitano, “Systems biology: a brief overview,” Science, vol. 295, no. 5560, pp. 1662–1664, 2002.
- M. S. Wilson and W. Nie, “Multiplex measurement of seven tumor markers using an electrochemical protein chip,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 18, pp. 6476–6483, 2006.
- S. Cesaro-Tadic, G. Dernick, D. Juncker et al., “High-sensitivity miniaturized immunoassays for tumor necrosis factor α using microfluidic systems,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 563–569, 2004.
- J. Yang, K. Eom, E. K. Lim et al., “In situ detection of live cancer cells by using bioprobes based on Au nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 21, pp. 12112–12115, 2008.
- R. Polsky, R. Gill, L. Kaganovsky, and I. Willner, “Nucleic acid-functionalized Pt nanoparticles: catalytic labels for the amplified electrochemical detection of biomolecules,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 7, pp. 2268–2271, 2006.
- A. J. Haes and R. P. Van Duyne, “A nanoscale optical biosensor: sensitivity and selectivity of an approach based on the localized surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy of triangular silver nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 35, pp. 10596–10604, 2002.
- N. Nath and A. Chilkoti, “A colorimetric gold nanoparticle sensor to interrogate biomolecular interactions in real time on a surface,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 504–509, 2002.
- A. J. Haes, D. A. Stuart, S. Nie, and R. P. Van Duyne, “Using solution-phase nanoparticles, surface-confined nanoparticle arrays and single nanoparticles as biological sensing platforms,” Journal of Fluorescence, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 355–367, 2004.
- S. Zhu, F. Li, C. Du, and Y. Fu, “Novel bio-nanochip based on localized surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy of rhombic nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 669–677, 2008.
- M. Kajiura, T. Nakanishi, H. Iida, H. Takada, and T. Osaka, “Biosensing by optical waveguide spectroscopy based on localized surface plasmon resonance of gold nanoparticles used as a probe or as a label,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 335, no. 1, pp. 140–145, 2009.
- Y. Chuang, C. Y. Lee, S. H. Lu, S. C. Wang, L. K. Chau, and W. H. Hsieh, “Using ac-field-Lnduced electro-osmosis to accelerate biomolecular binding in fiber-optic sensing chips with microstructures,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 1123–1127, 2010.
- M. Fan, M. Thompson, M. L. Andrade, and A. G. Brolo, “Silver nanoparticles on a plastic platform for localized surface plasmon resonance biosensing,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 82, no. 15, pp. 6350–6352, 2010.
- M. Wan, P. Luo, J. Jin, J. Xing, Z. Wang, and S. T. C. Wong, “Fabrication of localized surface plasmon resonance fiber probes using ionic self-assembled gold nanoparticles,” Sensors, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 6477–6487, 2010.
- Y. Lin, Y. Zou, Y. Mo, et al., “E-Beam patterned gold nanodot arrays on optical fiber tips for localized surface plasmon resonance biochemical sensing,” Sensors, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 9397–9406, 2010.
- O. Vazquez-Mena, T. Sannomiya, L. G. Villanueva, J. Voros, and J. Brugger, “Metallic nanodot arrays by stencil lithography for plasmonic biosensing applications,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 844–853, 2011.
- G. Xiang, N. Zhang, and X. Zhou, “Localized surface plasmon resonance biosensing with large area of gold nanoholes fabricated by nanosphere lithography,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 818–822, 2010.
- K. H. Chen, J. Hobley, Y. L. Foo, and X. Su, “Wide-field single metal nanoparticle spectroscopy for high throughput localized surface plasmon resonance sensing,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1895–1901, 2011.
- T. Huang and X. H. N. Xu, “Multicolored nanometre-resolution mapping of single protein-ligand binding complexes using far-field photostable optical nanoscopy (PHOTON),” Nanoscale, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 3567–3572, 2011.
- K. Kaur and J. A. Forrest, “Influence of particle size on the binding activity of proteins adsorbed onto gold nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 2736–2744, 2011.
- Y. Lin, Y. Zou, and R. G. Lindquist, “A reflection-based localized surface plasmon resonance fiber-optic probe for biochemical sensing,” Biomedical Optics Express, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 478–484, 2011.
- T. Endo, K. Kerman, N. Nagatani et al., “Multiple label-free detection of antigen-antibody reaction using localized surface plasmon resonance-based core-shell structured nanoparticle layer nanochip,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 18, pp. 6465–6475, 2006.
- R. Tanaka, T. Yuhi, N. Nagatani et al., “A novel enhancement assay for immunochromatographic test strips using gold nanoparticles,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 385, no. 8, pp. 1414–1420, 2006.
- B. Y. Hsieh, Y. F. Chang, M. Y. Ng et al., “Localized surface plasmon coupled fluorescence fiber-optic biosensor with gold nanoparticles,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 79, no. 9, pp. 3487–3493, 2007.
- T. A. Bendikov, A. Rabinkov, T. Karakouz, A. Vaskevich, and I. Rubinstein, “Biological sensing and interface design in gold island film based localized plasmon transducers,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 80, no. 19, pp. 7487–7498, 2008.
- T. Endo, S. Yamamura, K. Kerman, and E. Tamiya, “Label-free cell-based assay using localized surface plasmon resonance biosensor,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 614, no. 2, pp. 182–189, 2008.
- K. M. Mayer, S. Lee, H. Liao et al., “A label-free immunoassay based upon localized surface plasmon resonance of gold nanorods,” ACS Nano, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 687–692, 2008.
- J. N. Anker, W. P. Hall, M. P. Lambert et al., “Detection and identification of bioanalytes with high resolution LSPR spectroscopy and MALDI mass spectrometry,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 15, pp. 5891–5894, 2009.
- L. Au, Q. Zhang, C. M. Cobley et al., “Quantifying the cellular uptake of antibody-conjugated au nanocages by two-photon microscopy and inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2010.
- C. Huang, K. Bonroy, G. Reekmans et al., “Localized surface plasmon resonance biosensor integrated with microfluidic chip,” Biomedical Microdevices, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 893–901, 2009.
- S. Zheng, D. K. Kim, T. J. Park, S. J. Lee, and S. Y. Lee, “Label-free optical diagnosis of hepatitis B virus with genetically engineered fusion proteins,” Talanta, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 803–809, 2010.
- H. Huang, S. Huang, S. Yuan et al., “High-sensitivity biosensors fabricated by tailoring the localized surface plasmon resonance property of core-shell gold nanorods,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 683, no. 2, pp. 242–247, 2011.
- D. K. Kim, T. J. Park, E. Tamiya, et al., “Label-free detection of leptin antibody-antigen interaction by using LSPR-based optical biosensor,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 4188–4193, 2011.
- S. W. Lee, K. S. Lee, J. Ahn, J. J. Lee, M. G. Kim, and Y. B. Shin, “Highly sensitive biosensing using arrays of plasmonic Au nanodisks realized by nanoimprint lithography,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 897–904, 2011.
- P. L. Truong, C. Cao, S. Park, M. Kim, and S. J. Sim, “A new method for non-labeling attomolar detection of diseases based on an individual gold nanorod immunosensor,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 11, no. 15, pp. 2591–2597, 2011.
- J. Yamamichi, T. Ojima, K. Yurugi et al., “Single-step, label-free quantification of antibody in human serum for clinical applications based on localized surface plasmon resonance,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 889–895, 2011.
- S. H. Yeom, O. G. Kim, B. H. Kang, et al., “Highly sensitive nano-porous lattice biosensor based on localized surface plasmon resonance and interference,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 23, pp. 22882–22891, 2011.
- L. Guo and D. H. Kim, “LSPR biomolecular assay with high sensitivity induced by aptamer-antigen-antibody sandwich complex,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 567–570, 2012.
- T. J. Park, S. J. Lee, D. K. Kim, et al., “Development of label-free optical diagnosis for sensitive detection of influenza virus with genetically engineered fusion protein,” Talanta, vol. 89, no. 0, pp. 246–252, 2012.