- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 841971, 9 pages
Hydroxyapatite Nanopowder Synthesis with a Programmed Resorption Rate
1Institute of high Pressure Physics, Polish Academy of Science, Sokolowska 29/37, 01-142 Warsaw, Poland
2Institute of Physics, Polish Academy of Science, Al. Lotnikow 32/46, 02-668 Warsaw, Poland
3Faculty of Materials Science and Engineering, Warsaw University of Technology, Woloska 141, 02-507 Warsaw, Poland
Received 11 September 2012; Revised 18 October 2012; Accepted 1 November 2012
Academic Editor: Yan-Yan Song
Copyright © 2012 Dariusz Smoleń et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. R. Porter, T. T. Ruckh, and K. C. Popat, “Bone tissue engineering: a review in bone biomimetics and drug delivery startegies,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1539–1560, 2009.
- European Technology Platform Nanomedicine, Roadmap Report, 2009.
- C. F. Lord, M. C. Gebhardt, W. W. Tomford, and H. J. Mankin, “Infection in bone allografts. Incidence, nature, and treatment,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 369–376, 1988.
- B. H. Berrey, C. F. Lord, M. C. Gebhardt, and H. J. Mankin, “Fractures of allografts. Frequency, treatment, and end-results,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 825–833, 1990.
- M. Aebi, “Introduction to update on osteochondral allograft surgery,” in Bone Transplantation, M. Aebi and B. Regazzoni, Eds., Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1987.
- S. H. Li, J. R. De Wijn, P. Layrolle, and K. De Groot, “Synthesis of macroporous hydroxyapatite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 109–120, 2002.
- B. Flautre, M. Descamps, C. Delecourt, M. C. Blary, and P. Hardouin, “Porous HA ceramic for bone replacement: role of the pores and interconnections—experimental study in the rabbit,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 679–682, 2001.
- S. S. Kim, M. Sun Park, O. Jeon, C. Yong Choi, and B. S. Kim, “Poly(lactide-co-glycolide)/hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1399–1409, 2006.
- F. Barrère, C. A. van Blitterswijk, and K. de Groot, “Bone regeneration: molecular and cellular interactions with calcium phosphate ceramics,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 317–332, 2006.
- W. Suchanek and M. Yoshimura, “Processing and properties of hydroxyapatite-based biomaterials for use as hard tissue replacement implants,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 94–117, 1998.
- R. Dingreville, J. Qu, and Mohammed Cherkaoui, “Surface free energy and its effect on the elastic behavior of nano-sized particles, wires and films,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1827–1854, 2005.
- F. D. Fischer, T. Waitz, D. Vollath, and N. K. Simha, “On the role of surface energy and surface stress in phase-transforming nanoparticles,” Progress in Materials Science, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 481–527, 2008.
- G. Kaptay, “On the size and shape dependence of the solubility of nano-particles in solution,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 430, pp. 253–2257, 2012.
- T. J. Webster, R. W. Siegel, and R. Bizios, “Osteoblast adhesion on nanophase ceramics,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 13, pp. 1221–1227, 1999.
- M. P. Ginebra, E. Fernández, F. C. M. Driessens, and J. A. Planell, “Modeling of the hydrolysis of α-tricalcium phosphate,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 2808–2812, 1999.
- J. L. Meyer and B. O. Fowler, “Lattice defects in nonstoichiometric calcium hydroxylapatites. A chemical approach,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 3029–3035, 1982.
- W. L. Suchanek, P. Shuk, K. Byrappa, R. E. Riman, K. S. TenHuisen, and V. F. Janas, “Mechanochemical-hydrothermal synthesis of carbonated apatite powders at room temperature,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 699–710, 2002.
- D. Choi and P. N. Kumta, “An alternative chemical route for the synthesis and thermal stability of chemically enriched hydroxyapatite,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 444–449, 2006.
- S. J. Yan, Z. H. Zhou, F. Zhang, S. P. Yang, L. Z. Yang, and X. B. Yu, “Effect of anionic PAMAM with amido groups starburst dendrimers on the crystallization of Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2 by hydrothermal method,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 164–169, 2006.
- A. Banerjee, A. Bandyopadhyay, and S. Bose, “Hydroxyapatite nanopowders: synthesis, densification and cell-materials interaction,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 729–735, 2007.
- T. A. Kuriakosea, S. N. Kalkuraa, M. Palamichanyc et al., “Synthesis of stoichiometric nano crystalline hydroxyapatite by ethanol based sol-gel technique at low temperature,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 263, pp. 517–523, 2004.
- D. M. Liu, T. Troczynski, and W. J. Tseng, “Water-based sol-gel synthesis of hydroxyapatite: process development,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 1721–1730, 2001.
- K. Sonoda, T. Furuzono, D. Walsh, K. Sato, and J. Tanaka, “Influence of emulsion on crystal growth of hydroxyapatite,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 151, no. 1–4, pp. 321–327, 2002.
- B. H. Chen, K. I. Chen, M. L. Ho, H. N. Chen, W. C. Chen, and C. K. Wang, “Synthesis of calcium phosphates and porous hydroxyapatite beads prepared by emulsion method,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 365–371, 2009.
- S. J. Kalita and S. Verma, “Nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite bioceramic using microwave radiation: synthesis and characterization,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 295–303, 2010.
- D. Veljović, I. Zalite, E. Palcevskis, I. Smiciklas, R. Petrović, and D. Janaćković, “Microwave sintering of fine grained HAP and HAP/TCP bioceramics,” Ceramics International, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 595–603, 2010.
- S. Vijayan and H. Varma, “Microwave sintering of nanosized hydroxyapatite powder compacts,” Materials Letters, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 827–831, 2002.
- D. E. Clark and W. H. Sutton, “Microwave processing of materials,” Annual Review of Materials Research, vol. 26, pp. 299–331, 1996.
- C. Leonelli and W. Lojkowski, “Main development directions in the application of microwave irradiation to the synthesis of nanopowders,” Chimica Oggi, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 34–38, 2007.
- Y. B. Khollam, A. S. Deshpande, A. J. Patil, H. S. Potdar, S. B. Deshpande, and S. K. Date, “Microwave-hydrothermal synthesis of equi-axed and submicron-sized BaTiO3 powders,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 304–308, 2001.
- H. Yang, C. Huang, X. Li, R. Shi, and K. Zhang, “Luminescent and photocatalytic properties of cadmium sulfide nanoparticles synthesized via microwave irradiation,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 155–158, 2005.
- A. Opalinska, C. Leonelli, W. Lojkowski et al., “Effect of pressure on synthesis of Pr-doped Zirconia powders produced by microwave-driven hydrothermal reaction,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2006, Article ID 98769, 8 pages, 2006.
- Patent application P-369906, The method of nanoplates obtaining from synthetic hydroxyapatite and method of nanopowder with nanoplates obtaining from synthetic hydroxyapatite.
- T. Wejrzanowski, R. Pielaszek, A. Opalińska, H. Matysiak, W. Łojkowski, and K. J. Kurzydłowski, “Quantitative methods for nanopowders characterization,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 253, no. 1, pp. 204–208, 2006.
- L. A. Solovyov, “Full-profile refinement by derivative difference minimization,” Journal of Applied Crystallography, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 743–749, 2004.
- P. W. Brown and B. Constantz, Hydroxyaptite and Related Materials, CRC Press, 1994.
- J. Chang and E. Johnson, “Surface and bulk melting of small metal clusters,” Philosophical Magazine, vol. 85, no. 30, pp. 3617–3627, 2005.
- K. Sudarsanan and R. A. Young, “Significant precisions in crystal structural details. Holly springs hydroxyapatite,” Acta Crystallographica Section B, vol. 25, pp. 1534–1543, 1969.
- L. Perreux and A. Loupy, “A tentative rationalization of microwave effects in organic synthesis according to the reaction medium, and mechanistic considerations,” Tetrahedron, vol. 57, no. 45, pp. 9199–9223, 2001.
- Patent application P-399701, The method of bone implants fabrication and the bone implant.