- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 912903, 9 pages
Doping Silicon Nanocrystals with Boron and Phosphorus
State Key Laboratory of Silicon Materials and Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, Zhejiang, Hangzhou 310027, China
Received 29 April 2012; Accepted 21 August 2012
Academic Editor: Naoki Fukata
Copyright © 2012 Xiaodong Pi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Yin and A. P. Alivisatos, “Colloidal nanocrystal synthesis and the organic-inorganic interface,” Nature, vol. 437, no. 7059, pp. 664–670, 2005.
- J. G. C. Veinot, “Synthesis, surface functionalization, and properties of freestanding silicon nanocrystals,” Chemical Communications, no. 40, pp. 4160–4168, 2006.
- R. Beaulac, P. I. Archer, S. T. Ochsenbein, and D. R. Gamelin, “Mn2+-doped CdSe quantum dots: new inorganic materials for spin-electronics and spin-photonics,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 18, no. 24, pp. 3873–3891, 2008.
- D. V. Talapin, J. S. Lee, M. V. Kovalenko, and E. V. Shevchenko, “Prospects of colloidal nanocrystals for electronic and optoelectronic applications,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 389–458, 2010.
- N. O'Farrell, A. Houlton, and B. R. Horrocks, “Silicon nanoparticles: applications in cell biology and medicine,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 451–472, 2006.
- D. J. Norris, A. L. Efros, and S. C. Erwin, “Doped nanocrystals,” Science, vol. 319, no. 5871, pp. 1776–1779, 2008.
- S. C. Erwin, L. Zu, M. I. Haftel, A. L. Efros, T. A. Kennedy, and D. J. Norris, “Doping semiconductor nanocrystals,” Nature, vol. 436, no. 7047, pp. 91–94, 2005.
- D. Mocatta, G. Cohen, J. Schattner, O. Millo, E. Rabani, and U. Banin, “Heavily doped semiconductor nanocrystal quantum dots,” Science, vol. 332, no. 6025, pp. 77–81, 2011.
- U. Kortshagen, “Nonthermal plasma synthesis of semiconductor nanocrystals,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 42, no. 11, Article ID 113001, 2009.
- S. M. Sze and K. K. Ng, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- M. Fujii, S. Hayashi, and K. Yamamoto, “Photoluminescence from B-doped Si nanocrystals,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 7953–7957, 1998.
- M. Fujii, A. Mimura, S. Hayashi, and K. Yamamoto, “Photoluminescence from Si nanocrystals dispersed in phosphosilicate glass thin films: improvement of photoluminescence efficiency,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 184–186, 1999.
- A. Mimura, M. Fujii, S. Hayashi, D. Kovalev, and F. Koch, “Photoluminescence and free-electron absorption in heavily phosphorus-doped Si nanocrystals,” Physical Review B, vol. 62, no. 19, pp. 12625–12627, 2000.
- M. Fujii, A. Mimura, S. Hayashi, Y. Yamamoto, and K. Murakami, “Hyperfine structure of the electron spin resonance of phosphorus-doped Si nanocrystals,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 89, no. 20, Article ID 206805, 4 pages, 2002.
- M. Fujii, K. Toshikiyo, Y. Takase, Y. Yamaguchi, and S. Hayashi, “Below bulk-band-gap photoluminescence at room temperature from heavily P- and B-doped Si nanocrystals,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 1990–1995, 2003.
- M. Fujii, Y. Yamaguchi, Y. Takase, K. Ninomiya, and S. Hayashi, “Control of photoluminescence properties of Si nanocrystals by simultaneously doping n- and P-type impurities,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 1158–1160, 2004.
- X. D. Pi, R. Gresback, R. W. Liptak, S. A. Campbell, and U. Kortshagen, “Doping efficiency, dopant location, and oxidation of Si nanocrystals,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 12, Article ID 123102, 3 pages, 2008.
- A. R. Stegner, R. N. Pereira, K. Klein et al., “Electronic transport in phosphorus-doped silicon nanocrystal networks,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 100, no. 2, Article ID 026803, 4 pages, 2008.
- X. J. Hao, E. C. Cho, C. Flynn et al., “Synthesis and characterization of boron-doped Si quantum dots for all-Si quantum dot tandem solar cells,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 273–279, 2009.
- K. Sato, N. Fukata, and K. Hirakuri, “Doping and characterization of boron atoms in nanocrystalline silicon particles,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94, no. 16, Article ID 161902, 3 pages, 2009.
- A. R. Stegner, R. N. Pereira, R. Lechner et al., “Doping efficiency in freestanding silicon nanocrystals from the gas phase: phosphorus incorporation and defect-induced compensation,” Physical Review B, vol. 80, no. 16, Article ID 165326, 10 pages, 2009.
- M. Perego, C. Bonafos, and M. Fanciulli, “Phosphorus doping of ultra-small silicon nanocrystals,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 2, Article ID 025602, 2010.
- H. C. Sun, J. Xu, Y. Liu et al., “Subband light emission from phosphorous-doped amorphous Si/SiO2 multilayers at room temperature,” Chinese Physics Letters, vol. 28, no. 6, Article ID 067802, 2011.
- H. Sugimoto, M. Fujii, M. Fukuda, K. Imakita, and S. Hayashi, “Acceptor-related low-energy photoluminescence from boron-doped Si nanocrystals,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 110, no. 6, Article ID 063528, 6 pages, 2011.
- R. K. Baldwin, J. Zou, K. A. Pettigrew, G. J. Yeagle, R. D. Britt, and S. M. Kauzlarich, “The preparation of a phosphorus doped silicon film from phosphorus containing silicon nanoparticles,” Chemical Communications, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 658–660, 2006.
- K. Imakita, M. Ito, M. Fujii, and S. Hayashi, “Nonlinear optical properties of phosphorous-doped Si nanocrystals embedded in phosphosilicate glass thin films,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 7368–7376, 2009.
- G. Mauckner, W. Rebitzer, K. Thonke, and R. Sauer, “Quantum confinement effects in absorption and emission of freestanding porous silicon,” Solid State Communications, vol. 91, no. 9, pp. 717–720, 1994.
- A. J. Simons, T. I. Cox, M. J. Uren, and P. D. J. Calcott, “The electrical properties of porous silicon produced from n+ silicon substrates,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 255, no. 1-2, pp. 12–15, 1995.
- G. Polisski, D. Kovalev, G. Dollinger, T. Sulima, and F. Koch, “Boron in mesoporous Si—where have all the carriers gone?” Physica B, vol. 273-274, pp. 951–954, 1999.
- G. Cantele, E. Degoli, E. Luppi et al., “First-principles study of n- and p-doped silicon nanoclusters,” Physical Review B, vol. 72, no. 11, Article ID 113303, 4 pages, 2005.
- S. Ossicini, E. Degoli, F. Iori et al., “Simultaneously B- and P-doped silicon nanoclusters: formation energies and electronic properties,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 17, Article ID 173120, 3 pages, 2005.
- T. L. Chan, M. L. Tiago, E. Kaxiras, and J. R. Chelikowsky, “Size limits on doping phosphorus into silicon nanocrystals,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 596–600, 2008.
- F. Iori, E. Degoli, R. Magri et al., “Engineering silicon nanocrystals: theoretical study of the effect of codoping with boron and phosphorus,” Physical Review B, vol. 76, no. 8, Article ID 085302, 14 pages, 2007.
- Q. Xu, J. W. Luo, S. S. Li, J. B. Xia, J. Li, and S. H. Wei, “Chemical trends of defect formation in Si quantum dots: the case of group-III and group-V dopants,” Physical Review B, vol. 75, no. 23, Article ID 235304, 6 pages, 2007.
- L. E. Ramos, E. Degoli, G. Cantele et al., “Optical absorption spectra of doped and codoped Si nanocrystallites,” Physical Review B, vol. 78, no. 23, Article ID 235310, 11 pages, 2008.
- X. Chen, X. Pi, and D. Yang, “Critical role of dopant location for P-doped Si nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 661–666, 2011.
- X. D. Pi, X. B. Chen, and D. Yang, “First-principles study of 2.2 nm silicon nanocrystals doped with boron,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 115, no. 20, pp. 9838–9843, 2011.
- Y. S. Ma, X. B. Chen, X. D. Pi, and D. Yang, “Lightly boron and phosphorus co-doped silicon nanocrystals,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 14, no. 4, article 802, 2012.
- A. G. Cullis, L. T. Canham, and P. D. J. Calcott, “The structural and luminescence properties of porous silicon,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 909–965, 1997.
- D. Kovalev, H. Heckler, G. Polisski, and F. Koch, “Optical properties of Si nanocrystals,” Physica Status Solidi (B), vol. 215, no. 2, pp. 871–932, 1999.
- M. Fujii, “Optical properties of intrinsic and shallow impurity-doped silicon nanocrystals,” in Silicon Nanocrystals: Fundamentals, Synthesis and Applications, L. Pavesi and R. Turan, Eds., pp. 43–68, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2010.
- J. Ma, S. H. Wei, N. R. Neale, and A. J. Nozik, “Effect of surface passivation on dopant distribution in Si quantum dots: the case of B and P doping,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 98, no. 17, Article ID 173103, 3 pages, 2011.
- C. Delerue, G. Allan, and M. Lannoo, “Theoretical aspects of the luminescence of porous silicon,” Physical Review B, vol. 48, no. 15, pp. 11024–11036, 1993.
- M. Fujii, Y. Yamaguchi, Y. Takase, K. Ninomiya, and S. Hayashi, “Photoluminescence from impurity codoped and compensated Si nanocrystals,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 21, Article ID 211919, 3 pages, 2005.
- D. V. Melnikov and J. R. Chelikowsky, “Quantum confinement in phosphorus-doped silicon nanocrystals,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 4, Article ID 046802, 4 pages, 2004.
- X. D. Pi, L. Mangolini, S. A. Campbell, and U. Kortshagen, “Room-temperature atmospheric oxidation of Si nanocrystals after HF etching,” Physical Review B, vol. 75, no. 8, Article ID 085423, 5 pages, 2007.
- A. Gupta, M. T. Swihart, and H. Wiggers, “Luminescent colloidal dispersion of silicon quantum dots from microwave plasma synthesis: exploring the photoluminescence behavior across the visible spectrum,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 696–703, 2009.
- B. N. Jariwala, O. S. Dewey, P. Stradins, C. V. Ciobanu, and S. Agarwal, “In situ gas-phase hydrosilylation of plasma-synthesized silicon nanocrystals,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 3033–3041, 2011.
- M. V. Wolkin, J. Jorne, P. M. Fauchet, G. Allan, and C. Delerue, “Electronic states and luminescence in porous silicon quantum dots: the role of oxygen,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 197–200, 1999.
- A. Puzder, A. J. Williamson, J. C. Grossman, and G. Galli, “Surface control of optical properties in silicon nanoclusters,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 117, no. 14, pp. 6721–6729, 2002.
- X. B. Chen, X. D. Pi, and D. Yang, “Bonding of oxygen at the oxide/nanocrystal interface of oxidized silicon nanocrystals: an ab initio study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 19, pp. 8774–8781, 2010.
- K. Seino, F. Bechstedt, and P. Kroll, “Influence of SiO2 matrix on electronic and optical properties of Si nanocrystals,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 13, Article ID 135702, 2009.
- M. Fukuda, M. Fujii, H. Sugimoto, K. Imakita, and S. Hayashi, “Surfactant-free solution-dispersible Si nanocrystals surface modification by impurity control,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, no. 20, pp. 4026–4028, 2011.
- F. Erogbogbo, T. Liu, N. Ramadurai et al., “Creating ligand-free silicon germanium alloy nanocrystal inks,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 7950–7959, 2011.
- Z. C. Holman and U. R. Kortshagen, “Nanocrystal inks without ligands: stable colloids of bare germanium nanocrystals,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 2133–2136, 2011.