- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 946868, 9 pages
Polarization Dependence of Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering on a Single Dielectric Nanowire
Electronics Science and Technology Division, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 20375, USA
Received 15 June 2012; Accepted 8 September 2012
Academic Editor: Steve F. A. Acquah
Copyright © 2012 Hua Qi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Xux and M. Käll, “Polarization-dependent surface-enhanced raman spectroscopy of isolated silver nanoaggregates,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1001–1005, 2003.
- J. P. Kottmann and O. J. F. Martin, “Plasmon resonant coupling in metallic nanowires,” Optics Express, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 655–663, 2001.
- S. A. Maier, P. G. Kik, H. A. Atwater et al., “Local detection of electromagnetic energy transport below the diffraction limit in metal nanoparticle plasmon waveguides,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 229–232, 2003.
- T. Dadosh, J. Sperling, G. W. Bryant et al., “Plasmonic control of the shape of the raman spectrum of a single molecule in a silver nanoparticle dimer,” ACS Nano, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 1988–1994, 2009.
- I. K. J. Kretzers, R. J. Parker, R. V. Olkhov, and A. M. Shaw, “Aggregation kinetics of gold nanoparticles at the silica-water interface,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 14, pp. 5514–5519, 2009.
- Y. Sun, G. Wei, Y. Song et al., “Type I collagen-templated assembly of silver nanoparticles and their application in surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 11, Article ID 115604, 2008.
- R. Gunawidjaja, S. Peleshanko, H. Ko, and V. V. Tsukruk, “Bimetallic nanocobs: decorating silver nanowires with gold nanoparticles,” Advanced Materials, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1544–1549, 2008.
- J. L. Seung, M. B. Jeong, and M. Moskovits, “Polarization-dependent surface-enhanced raman scattering from a silver-nanoparticle-decorated single silver nanowire,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 3244–3247, 2008.
- H. Wei, F. Hao, Y. Huang, W. Wang, P. Nordlander, and H. Xu, “Polarization dependence of surface-enhanced Raman scattering in gold nanoparticle-nanowire systems,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 2497–2502, 2008.
- B. J. Wiley, Y. Chen, J. M. McLellan et al., “Synthesis and optical properties of silver nanobars and nanorice,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1032–1036, 2007.
- J. M. McLellan, Z. Y. Li, A. R. Siekkinen, and Y. Xia, “The SERS activity of a supported ag nanocube strongly depends on its orientation relative to laser polarization,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1013–1017, 2007.
- H. Wang, D. W. Brandl, F. Le, P. Nordlander, and N. J. Halas, “Nanorice: a hybrid plasmonic nanostructure,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 827–832, 2006.
- H. Qi, D. Alexson, O. Glembocki, and S. M. Prokes, “Plasmonic coupling on dielectric nanowire core-metal sheath composites,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 8, Article ID 085705, 2010.
- H. Qi, D. Alexson, O. Glembocki, and S. M. Prokes, “The effect of size and size distribution on the oxidation kinetics and plasmonics of nanoscale Ag particles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 21, Article ID 215706, 2010.
- K. Kneipp, H. Kneipp, R. Manoharan et al., “Extremely large enhancement factors in surface-enhanced Raman scattering for molecules on colloidal gold clusters,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 1493–1497, 1998.
- H. Xu, J. Aizpurua, M. Käll, and P. Apell, “Electromagnetic contributions to single-molecule sensitivity in surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Physical Review E, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 4318–4324, 2000.
- Z. Wang, S. Pan, T. D. Krauss, H. Du, and L. J. Rothberg, “The structural basis for giant enhancement enabling single-molecule Raman scattering,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 15, pp. 8638–8643, 2003.
- K. Kneipp, Y. Wang, R. R. Dasari, and M. S. Feld, “Approach to single molecule detection using surface-enhanced resonance Raman scattering SERRS: a study using rhodamine 6G on colloidal silver,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 780–784, 1995.
- D. M. Kuncicky, S. D. Christesen, and O. D. Velev, “Role of the micro- and nanostructure in the performance of surface-enhanced Raman scattering substrates assembled from gold nanoparticles,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 401–409, 2005.
- P. M. Tessier, O. D. Velev, A. T. Kalambur, J. F. Rabolt, A. M. Lenhoff, and E. W. Kaler, “Assembly of gold nanostructured films templated by colloidal crystals and use in surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 122, no. 39, pp. 9554–9555, 2000.
- A. Tao, F. Kim, C. Hess et al., “Langmuir-Blodgett silver nanowire monolayers for molecular sensing using surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1229–1233, 2003.
- S. M. Prokes, O. J. Glembocki, R. W. Rendell, and M. G. Ancona, “Enhanced plasmon coupling in crossed dielectric/metal nanowire composite geometries and applications to surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 9, Article ID 093105, 3 pages, 2007.
- COMSOL Multiphysics, COMSOL Inc., http://www.comsol.com/.
- J. Zhao, A. O. Pinchuk, J. M. McMahon et al., “Methods for describing the electromagnetic properties of silver and gold nanoparticles,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1710–1720, 2008.
- M. Micic, N. Klymyshyn, Y. D. Suh, and H. P. Lu, “Finite element method simulation of the field distribution for AFM tip-enhanced surface-enhanced Raman scanning microscopy,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 7, pp. 1574–1584, 2003.
- H. Ditlbacher, A. Hohenau, D. Wagner et al., “Silver nanowires as surface plasmon resonators,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 25, Article ID 257403, 4 pages, 2005.
- M. W. Knight and N. J. Halas, “Nanoshells to nanoeggs to nanocups: optical properties of reduced symmetry core-shell nanoparticles beyond the quasistatic limit,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 10, Article ID 105006, 2008.
- M. W. Knight, Y. Wu, J. B. Lassiter, P. Nordlander, and N. J. Halas, “Substrates matter: influence of an adjacent dielectric on an individual plasmonic nanoparticle,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 2188–2192, 2009.
- T. Laroche and C. Girard, “Near-field optical properties of single plasmonic nanowires,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, no. 23, Article ID 233119, 3 pages, 2006.
- M. W. Knight, N. K. Grady, R. Bardhan, F. Hao, P. Nordlander, and N. J. Halas, “Nanoparticle-mediated coupling of light into a nanowire,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 2346–2350, 2007.
- C. Jiang, W. Y. Lio, and V. V. Tsukruk, “Surface enhanced raman scattering monitoring of chain alignment in freely suspended nanomembranes,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 11, Article ID 115503, 4 pages, 2005.
- J. Ding, V. I. Birss, and G. Liu, “Formation and properties of polystyrene-block-poly(2-cinnamoylethyl methacrylate) brushes studied by surface-enhanced raman scattering and transmission electron microscopy,” Macromolecules, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1442–1448, 1997.
- W. M. Sears, J. L. Hunt, and J. R. Stevens, “Raman scattering from polymerizing styrene. I. Vibrational mode analysis,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 1589–1598, 1981.
- V. Zucolotto, M. Ferreira, C. Cordeiro et al., “Unusual interactions binding iron tetrasulfonated phthalocyanine and poly(allylamine hydrochloride) in layer-by-layer films,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 16, pp. 3733–3737, 2003.
- R. Aroca and A. Thedchanamoorthy, “Vibrational studies of molecular organization in evaporated phthalocyanine thin solid films,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 69–74, 1995.
- J. H. Kim, T. Kang, S. M. Yoo, S. Y. Lee, B. Kim, and Y. K. Choi, “A well-ordered flower-like gold nanostructure for integrated sensors via surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 23, Article ID 235302, 2009.
- C. A. Szafranski, W. Tanner, P. E. Laibinis, and R. L. Garrell, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy of aromatic thiols and disulfides on gold electrodes,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 13, pp. 3570–3579, 1998.
- M. Takahashi, M. Fujita, and M. Ito, “SERS application to some electroorganic reactions,” Surface Science, vol. 158, no. 1–3, pp. 307–313, 1985.
- A. A. Mani, Z. D. Schultz, B. Champagne et al., “Molecule orientation in self-assembled monolayers determined by infrared-visible sum-frequency generation spectroscopy,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 237, no. 1–4, pp. 444–449, 2004.
- K. T. Carron and L. G. Hurley, “Axial and azimuthal angle determination with surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy: thiophenol on copper, silver, and gold metal surfaces,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 24, pp. 9979–9984, 1991.
- S. Frey, V. Stadler, K. Heister et al., “Structure of thioaromatic self-assembled monolayers on gold and silver,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2408–2415, 2001.
- L. J. Wan, M. Terashima, H. Noda, and M. Osawa, “Molecular orientation and ordered structure of benzenethiol adsorbed on gold(111),” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 15, pp. 3563–3569, 2000.
- S. W. Han, S. J. Lee, and K. Kim, “Self-assembled monolayers of aromatic thiol and selenol on silver: comparative study of adsorptivity and stability,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 22, pp. 6981–6987, 2001.
- A. Bilić, J. R. Reimers, and N. S. Hush, “The structure, energetics, and nature of the chemical bonding of phenylthiol adsorbed on the Au(111) surface: implications for density-functional calculations of molecular-electronic conduction,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 122, no. 9, Article ID 094708, 15 pages, 2005.
- C. J. Sandroff and D. R. Herschbach, “Surface-enhanced Raman study of organic sulfides adsorbed on silver: facile cleavage of S-S and C-S bonds,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 86, no. 17, pp. 3277–3279, 1982.
- L. Gunnarsson, E. J. Bjerneld, H. Xu, S. Petronis, B. Kasemo, and M. Käll, “Interparticle coupling effects in nanofabricated substrates for surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 78, no. 6, 3 pages, 2001.
- P. Mohanty, I. Yoon, T. Kang et al., “Simple vapor-phase synthesis of single-crystalline Ag nanowires and single-nanowire surface-enhanced raman scattering,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 129, no. 31, pp. 9576–9577, 2007.
- M. Moskovits, “Surface-enhanced spectroscopy,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 783–826, 1985.
- D. S. Wang and M. Kerker, “Enhanced Raman scattering by molecules adsorbed at the surface of colloidal spheroids,” Physical Review B, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1777–1790, 1981.
- P. J. Kottman, O. J. F. Martin, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, “Plasmon resonances of silver nanowires with a nonregular cross section,” Physical Review B, vol. 64, no. 23, Article ID 235402, 10 pages, 2001.
- R. T. Hill, J. J. Mock, Y. Urzhumov et al., “Leveraging nanoscale plasmonic modes to achieve reproducible enhancement of light,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 4150–4154, 2010.
- J. Chen, T. Mårtensson, K. A. Dick et al., “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering of rhodamine 6G on nanowire arrays decorated with gold nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 27, Article ID 275712, 2008.
- R. Kattumenu, C. H. Lee, L. Tian, M. E. McConney, and S. Singamaneni, “Nanorod decorated nanowires as highly efficient SERS-active hybrids,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 39, pp. 15218–15223, 2011.