- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 108076, 11 pages
Dense and Cellular Zirconia Produced by Gel Casting with Agar: Preparation and High Temperature Characterization
1Department of Applied Science and Technology, Politecnico di Torino, INSTM Reference Laboratory for Ceramics Engineering, Corso Duca Degli Abruzzi 24, 10129 Torino (To), Italy
2Department of Engineering, University of “Roma Tre,” INSTM Reference Laboratory for Engineering of Surface Treatments, Via della Vasca Navale 79, 00146 Roma (RM), Italy
3Department of Chemical Engineering Materials Environment, University of Rome “La Sapienza,” INSTM Reference Laboratory for Engineering of Surface Treatments, Via Eudossiana 18, 00184 Roma (RM), Italy
Received 25 January 2013; Revised 18 April 2013; Accepted 13 May 2013
Academic Editor: Rachman Chaim
Copyright © 2013 Jean-Marc Tulliani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. R. Studart, U. T. Gonzenbach, E. Tervoort, and L. J. Gauckler, “Processing routes to macroporous ceramics: a review,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1771–1789, 2006.
- P. Colombo, “Conventional and novel processing methods for cellular ceramics,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 364, no. 1838, pp. 109–124, 2006.
- O. O. Omatete, M. A. Janney, and R. A. Strehlow, “A new ceramic forming process,” American Ceramic Society Bulletin, vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 1641–1649, 1991.
- A. C. Young, O. O. Omatete, M. A. Janney, and P. A. Menchhofer, “Gelcasting of alumina,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 612–618, 1991.
- I. Santacruz, M. I. Nieto, and R. Moreno, “Alumina bodies with near-to-theoretical density by aqueous gelcasting using concentrated agarose solutions,” Ceramics International, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 439–445, 2005.
- A. J. Millán, M. I. Nieto, and R. Moreno, “Aqueous injection moulding of silicon nitride,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 20, no. 14-15, pp. 2661–2666, 2000.
- H. K. Varma and R. Sivakumar, “Dense hydroxy apatite ceramics through gel casting technique,” Materials Letters, vol. 29, no. 1–3, pp. 57–61, 1996.
- W. Zhang, H. Wang, and Z. Jin, “Gel casting and properties of porous silicon carbide/silicon nitride composite ceramics,” Materials Letters, vol. 59, no. 2-3, pp. 250–256, 2005.
- E. Adolfsson, “Gelcasting of zirconia using agarose,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1897–1902, 2006.
- D. Kong, H. Yang, S. Wei, D. Li, and J. Wang, “Gel-casting without de-airing process using silica sol as a binder,” Ceramics International, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 133–139, 2007.
- J. Sun and L. Gao, “Influence of forming methods on the microstructure of 3Y-TZP specimens,” Ceramics International, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 971–974, 2003.
- M. A. Janney, O. O. Omatete, C. A. Walls, S. D. Nunn, R. J. Ogle, and G. Westmoreland, “Development of low-toxicity gelcasting systems,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 581–591, 1998.
- A. J. Millán, R. Moreno, and M. I. Nieto, “Thermogelling polysaccharides for aqueous gelcasting—part I: a comparative study of gelling additives,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 2209–2215, 2002.
- Z. P. Xie, J. L. Yang, D. Huang, Y. L. Chen, and Y. Huang, “Gelation forming of ceramic compacts using agarose,” British Ceramic Transactions, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 58–61, 1999.
- Y. Chen, Z. Xie, J. Yang, and Y. Huang, “Alumina casting based on gelation of gelatine,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 271–275, 1999.
- L. J. Vandeperre, A. M. de Wilde, and J. Luyten, “Gelatin gelcasting of ceramic components,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 135, no. 2-3, pp. 312–316, 2003.
- F. S. Ortega, F. A. O. Valenzuela, C. H. Scuracchio, and V. C. Pandolfelli, “Alternative gelling agents for the gelcasting of ceramic foams,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 75–80, 2003.
- Y. Jia, Y. Kanno, and Z. P. Xie, “New gel-casting process for alumina ceramics based on gelation of alginate,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1911–1916, 2002.
- J. Wang, X. Wang, and W. Zhao, “Alumina gelcasting by using glutin-urea system,” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 284–286, pp. 1423–1426, 2011.
- P. Bednarek, M. Szafran, Y. Sakka, and T. Mizerski, “Gelcasting of alumina with a new monomer synthesized from glucose,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1795–1801, 2010.
- S. Timoshenko, Strength of Materials, Part I, Elementary Theory and Problems, D. Van Nostrand Company, 3rd edition, 1955.
- A. J. Fanelli, R. D. Silvers, W. S. Frei, J. V. Burlew, and G. B. Marsh, “New aqueous injection molding process for ceramic powders,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 1833–1836, 1989.
- P. Sepulveda, “Gelcasting foams for porous ceramics,” American Ceramic Society Bulletin, vol. 76, no. 10, pp. 61–65, 1997.
- M. Lombardi, V. Naglieri, J. M. Tulliani, and L. Montanaro, “Gelcasting of dense and porous ceramics by using a natural gelatine,” Journal of Porous Materials, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 393–400, 2009.
- J. M. Tulliani, C. Bartuli, E. Bemporad, V. Naglieri, and M. Sebastiani, “Preparation and mechanical characterization of dense and porous zirconia produced by gel casting with gelatin as a gelling agent,” Ceramics International, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 2481–2491, 2009.
- C. Bartuli, E. Bemporad, J. M. Tulliani, J. Tirillò, G. Pulci, and M. Sebastiani, “Mechanical properties of cellular ceramics obtained by gel casting: characterization and modeling,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 29, no. 14, pp. 2979–2989, 2009.
- J. M. Tulliani, V. Naglieri, M. Lombardi, and L. Montanaro, “Porous alumina and zirconia bodies obtained by a novel gel casting process,” in Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference & Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, R. Narayan and P. Colombo, Eds., Daytona Beach, Fla, USA, 2008.
- M. Lombardi, L. Montanaro, L. Grémillard, and J. Chevalier, “New gelcasting procedure to prepare alumina porous components: process optimization and preliminary mechanical tests,” in Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference & Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, R. Narayan and P. Colombo, Eds., Daytona Beach, Fla, USA, 2008.
- W. C. Oliver and G. M. Pharr, “Improved technique for determining hardness and elastic modulus using load and displacement sensing indentation experiments,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1564–1580, 1992.
- R. B. King, “Elastic analysis of some punch problems for a layered medium,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1657–1664, 1987.
- O. Sahin, O. Uzun, U. Kölemen, and N. Uçar, “Mechanical characterization for β-Sn single crystals using nanoindentation tests,” Materials Characterization, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 427–434, 2008.
- W. C. Oliver and G. M. Pharr, “Measurement of hardness and elastic modulus by instrumented indentation: advances in understanding and refinements to methodology,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 2004.
- M. Troyon and L. Y. Huang, “Correction factor for contact area in nanoindentation measurements,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 610–617, 2005.
- J. M. Tulliani, M. Lombardi, P. Palmero, M. Fornabaio, and L. J. Gibson, “Development and mechanical characterization of novel ceramic foams fabricated by gel-casting,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1567–1576, 2013.
- A. K. Gain, H. Y. Song, and B. T. Lee, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of porous yttria stabilized zirconia ceramic using poly methyl methacrylate powder,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 2081–2085, 2006.
- D. M. Owen and A. H. Chokshi, “The high temperature mechanical characteristics of superplastic 3 mol% yttria stabilized zirconia,” Acta Materialia, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 667–679, 1998.
- M. Jiménez-Melendo, A. Domínguez-Rodríguez, and A. Bravo-León, “Superplastic flow of fine-grained yttria-stabilized zirconia polycrystals: constitutive equation and deformation mechanisms,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 81, no. 11, pp. 2761–2776, 1998.
- E. Zapata-Solvas, D. Gómez-García, C. García-Gañán, and A. Domínguez-Rodríguez, “High temperature creep behaviour of 4 mol% yttria tetragonal zirconia polycrystals (4-YTZP) with grain sizes between 0.38 and 1.15 μm,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 3325–3329, 2007.
- D. M. Owen and A. H. Chokshi, “Analysis of deformation mechanisms in superplastic yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia,” International Journal of Plasticity, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 353–368, 2001.
- K. Morita and K. Hiraga, “Critical assessment of high-temperature deformation and deformed microstructure in high-purity tetragonal zirconia containing 3 mol.% yttria,” Acta Materialia, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1075–1085, 2002.
- J. Luo and R. Stevens, “Porosity-dependence of elastic moduli and hardness of 3Y-TZP ceramics,” Ceramics International, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 281–286, 1999.