- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 174398, 9 pages
Antifungal Applications of Ag-Decorated Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles
1LIEC, UNESP-Univ Estadual Paulista, P.O. Box 355, 14801-907 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
2Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Araraquara Dental School, UNESP-Univ Estadual Paulista, 14801-903 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
3LIEC, CMDMC, Department of Chemistry, Universidade Federal de São Carlos (UFSCar), 13565-905, São Carlos, SP, Brazil
Received 1 February 2013; Revised 23 May 2013; Accepted 26 May 2013
Academic Editor: Mohamed Bououdina
Copyright © 2013 C. A. Zamperini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. P. Tank, P. Sharma, D. K. Kanchan, and M. J. Joshi, “FTIR, powder XRD, TEM and dielectric studies of pure and zinc doped nano-hydroxyapatite,” Crystal Research and Technology, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 1309–1316, 2011.
- N. Rameshbabu, T. S. S. Kumar, T. G. Prabhakar, V. S. Sastry, K. V. G. K. Murty, and K. Prasad Rao, “Antibacterial nanosized silver substituted hydroxyapatite: synthesis and characterization,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 581–591, 2007.
- M. Miranda, A. Fernández, S. Lopez-Esteban, F. Malpartida, J. S. Moya, and R. Torrecillas, “Ceramic/metal biocidal nanocomposites for bone-related applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1655–1662, 2012.
- R. Manfredi, S. Sabbatani, and L. Calza, “Recurring Candida albicans esophagitis in a HIV-infected patient undergoing long-term antiretroviral therapy, and with absent-negligible immunodeficiency,” Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 605–609, 2007.
- J. Chandra, P. K. Mukherjee, S. D. Leidich et al., “Antifungal resistance of candidal biofilms formed on denture acrylic in vitro,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 903–908, 2001.
- P. Badiee and A. Alborzi, “Invasive fungal infections in renal transplant recipients,” Experimental and Clinical Transplantation, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 355–362, 2011.
- I. Sondi and B. Salopek-Sondi, “Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2004.
- J. S. Kim, E. Kuk, K. N. Yu et al., “Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- J. R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho et al., “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- M. A. Afzal, S. Kalmodia, P. Kesarwani, B. Basu, and K. Balani, “Bactericidal effect of silver-reinforced carbon nanotube and hydroxyapatite composites,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 967–978, 2012.
- Z. Lu, Y. Liu, B. Liu, and M. Liu, “Friction and wear behavior of hydroxyapatite based composite ceramics reinforced with fibers,” Materials and Design, vol. 39, pp. 444–449, 2012.
- D. Gopi, J. Indira, L. Kavitha, M. Sekar, and U. K. Mudali, “Synthesis of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles by a novel ultrasonic assisted with mixed hollow sphere template method,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 93, pp. 131–134, 2012.
- F. Ren, Y. Ding, X. Ge, X. Lu, K. Wang, and Y. Leng, “Growth of one-dimensional single-crystalline hydroxyapatite nanorods,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 349, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2012.
- H. E. Wang, L. J. Xi, R. G. Ma et al., “Microwave-assisted hydrothermal synthesis of porous SnO2 nanotubes and their lithium ion storage properties,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 190, pp. 104–110, 2012.
- V. D. Maksimov, P. E. Meskin, and B. R. Churagulov, “Microwave-assisted hydrothermal synthesis of fine BaZrO3 and BaHfO3 powders,” Inorganic Materials, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 988–993, 2007.
- V. D. Araújo, W. Avansi, H. B. de Carvalho et al., “CeO2 nanoparticles synthesized by a microwave-assisted hydrothermal method: evolution from nanospheres to nanorods,” CrystEngComm, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1150–1154, 2012.
- C. S. Ciobanu, F. Massuyeau, L. V. Constantin, and D. Predoi, “Structural and physical properties of antibacterial Ag-doped nano-hydroxyapatite synthesized at 100°C,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 6, no. 1, article 613, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, P. le Coustumer, L. V. Constantin, and D. Predoi, “Antibacterial activity of silver-doped hydroxyapatite nanoparticles against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 7, no. 1, article 324, 2012.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, M. C. Chifiriuc, A. Costescu, P. le Coustumer, and D. Predoi, “Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of silver-doped hydroxyapatite nanoparticles,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 916218, 10 pages, 2013.
- V. Stanić, D. Janaćković, S. Dimitrijević, et al., “Synthesis of antimicrobial monophase silver-doped hydroxyapatite nanopowders for bone tissue engineering,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 257, no. 9, pp. 4510–4518, 2011.
- CLSI, Reference Method for Broth Dilution Antifungal Susceptibility Testing of Yeasts; Approved Standard, CLSI Document M27-A3, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 2008.
- G. Penel, G. Leroy, C. Rey, and E. Bres, “MicroRaman spectral study of the PO4 and CO3 vibrational modes in synthetic and biological apatites,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 475–481, 1998.
- C. W. Raubach, Y. V. B. de Santana, M. M. Ferrer et al., “Strutural and optical approach of CdS@ZnS core-shell system,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 536, pp. 96–99, 2012.
- A. F. Wady, A. L. Machado, V. Zucolotto, C. A. Zamperini, E. Berni, and C. E. Vergani, “Evaluation of Candida albicans adhesion and biofilm formation on a denture base acrylic resin containing silver nanoparticles,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1163–1172, 2012.
- D. R. Monteiro, S. Silva, M. Negri et al., “Silver nanoparticles: influence of stabilizing agent and diameter on antifungal activity against Candida albicans and Candida glabrata biofilms,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 383–391, 2012.
- D. R. Monteiro, L. F. Gorup, S. Silva et al., “Silver colloidal nanoparticles: antifungal effect against adhered cells and biofilms of Candida albicans and Candida glabrata,” Biofouling, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 711–719, 2011.
- M. A. Vargas-Reus, K. Memarzadeh, J. Huang, G. G. Ren, and R. P. Allaker, “Antimicrobial activity of nanoparticulate metal oxides against peri-implantitis pathogens,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 135–139, 2012.
- G. Ramage, E. Mowat, B. Jones, C. Williams, and J. Lopez-Ribot, “Our current understanding of fungal biofilms,” Critical Reviews in Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 340–355, 2009.
- T. Wu, K. Wright, S. F. Hurst, and C. J. Morrison, “Enhanced extracellular production of aspartyl proteinase, a virulence factor, by Candida albicans isolates following growth in subinhibitory concentrations of fluconazole,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1200–1208, 2000.
- L. Dong, Z. Tong, D. Linghu et al., “Effects of sub-minimum inhibitory concentrations of antimicrobial agents on Streptococcus mutans biofilm formation,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 390–395, 2012.
- M. Roy, G. A. Fielding, H. Beyenal, A. Bandyopadhyay, and S. Bose, “Mechanical, in vitro antimicrobial, and biological properties of plasma-sprayed silver-doped hydroxyapatite coating,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1341–1349, 2012.
- A. Ewald, D. Hösel, S. Patel, L. M. Grover, J. E. Barralet, and U. Gbureck, “Silver-doped calcium phosphate cements with antimicrobial activity,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 4064–4070, 2011.
- N. Matsumoto, K. Sato, K. Yoshida, K. Hashimoto, and Y. Toda, “Preparation and characterization of β-tricalcium phosphate co-doped with monovalent and divalent antibacterial metal ions,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 3157–3164, 2009.
- W.-H. Song, S. R. Hyun, and S.-H. Hong, “Antibacterial properties of Ag (or Pt)-containing calcium phosphate coatings formed by micro-arc oxidation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 246–254, 2009.
- K. Das, S. Bose, A. Bandyopadhyay, B. Karandikar, and B. L. Gibbins, “Surface coatings for improvement of bone cell materials and antimicrobial activities of Ti implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 455–460, 2008.
- X. Bai, K. More, C. M. Rouleau, and A. Rabiei, “Functionally graded hydroxyapatite coatings doped with antibacterial components,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2264–2273, 2010.
- K.-J. Kim, W. S. Sung, B. K. Suh et al., “Antifungal activity and mode of action of silver nano-particles on Candida albicans,” BioMetals, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 235–242, 2009.
- P. G. Mendes, M. L. Moreira, S. M. Tebcherani et al., “SnO2 nanocrystals synthesized by microwave-assisted hydrothermal method: towards a relationship between structural and optical properties,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 14, no. 3, article 750, 2012.
- T. Badapanda, S. K. Rout, L. S. Cavalcante et al., “Optical and dielectric relaxor behaviour of Ba(Zr0.25Ti0.75)O3 ceramic explained by means of distorted clusters,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 42, no. 17, Article ID 175414, pp. 1–9, 2009.
- T. Bak, J. Nowotny, N. J. Sucher, and E. Wachsman, “Effect of crystal imperfections on reactivity and photoreactivity of TiO2 (Rutile) with oxygen, water, and bacteria,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 115, no. 32, pp. 15711–15738, 2011.
- A. Bielanski and W. C. D. Hare, “Investigation of some antimicrobial procedures on the in vitro development of early murine embryos aimed toward developing methods for the disinfection of mammalian embryos prior to transfer,” Journal of In Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 1991.
- J. P. Kehrer, “The Haber-Weiss reaction and mechanisms of toxicity,” Toxicology, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2000.