- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 174939, 6 pages
Rapid and Efficient Synthesis of Silver Nanofluid Using Electrical Discharge Machining
1Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taipei University of Technology, Taipei 10608, Taiwan
2Light Source Division, National Synchrotron Radiation Research Center, Hsinchu 30076, Taiwan
Received 5 January 2013; Accepted 31 March 2013
Academic Editor: Jian Wei
Copyright © 2013 Kuo-Hsiung Tseng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Parkansky, O. Goldstein, B. Alterkop et al., “Features of micro and nano-particles produced by pulsed arc submerged in ethanol,” Powder Technology, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 215–219, 2006.
- C. H. Lo, T. T. Tsung, and H. M. Lin, “Preparation of silver nanofluid by the submerged arc nanoparticle synthesis system (SANSS),” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 434-435, pp. 659–662, 2007.
- K. H. Tseng, C. Y. Liao, J. C. Huang, D. C. Tien, and T. T. Tsung, “Characterization of gold nanoparticles in organic or inorganic medium (ethanol/water) fabricated by spark discharge method,” Materials Letters, vol. 62, no. 19, pp. 3341–3344, 2008.
- Y. Y. Tsai, J. S. Su, and C. Y. Su, “A novel method to produce carbon nanotubes using EDM process,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 48, no. 15, pp. 1653–1657, 2008.
- N. Ichinose, Y. Ozaki, and S. Kashu, Superfine Particle Technology, 1992.
- D. C. Tien, K. H. Tseng, C. Y. Liao, J. C. Huang, and T. T. Tsung, “Discovery of ionic silver in silver nanoparticle suspension fabricated by arc discharge method,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 463, no. 1-2, pp. 408–411, 2008.
- K. H. Tseng and C. Y. Liao, “Production of silver ions from colloidal silver by nanoparticle iontophoresis system,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 1991–1995, 2011.
- D. C. Tien, K. H. Tseng, C. Y. Liao, and T. T. Tsung, “Colloidal silver fabrication using the spark discharge system and its antimicrobial effect on Staphylococcus aureus,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 948–952, 2008.
- H. Kim, G. DeWitt, T. McKrell, J. Buongiorno, and L. W. Hu, “On the quenching of steel and zircaloy spheres in water-based nanofluids with alumina, silica and diamond nanoparticles,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 427–438, 2009.
- D. Zhu, X. Li, N. Wang, X. Wang, J. Gao, and H. Li, “Dispersion behavior and thermal conductivity characteristics of Al2O3-H2O nanofluids,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 131–139, 2009.
- N. Sano, H. Wang, I. Alexandrou et al., “Properties of carbon onions produced by an arc discharge in water,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 92, no. 5, p. 2783, 2002.
- H. Chang and S. C. Lin, “Fabrication method for a TiO2 nanofluid with high roundness and superior dispersion properties,” Materials Transactions, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 836–841, 2007.
- A. Calka, D. Wexler, B. Monaghan, A. Mosbah, and P. Balaz, “Rapid reduction of copper sulfide (Cu2S) with elemental Fe and Mg using electrical discharge assisted mechanical milling (EDAMM),” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 486, no. 1-2, pp. 492–496, 2009.
- H. Chang, M. J. Kao, C. S. Jwo, C. G. Kuo, Y. H. Yeh, and W. C. Tzeng, “Preparation of Co/Ag nanocompound fluid using ASNSS with aid of ultrasonic orthogonal vibration,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 504, no. 1, pp. S376–S379, 2010.
- W. Yu, D. M. France, J. L. Routbort, and S. U. S. Choi, “Review and comparison of nanofluid thermal conductivity and heat transfer enhancements,” Heat Transfer Engineering, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 432–460, 2008.
- K. H. Tsenga, C. Y. Liao, and D. C. Tien, “Silver carbonate and stability in colloidal silver: a by-product of the electric spark discharge method,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 493, pp. 438–440, 2010.
- K. Heiskanen, Particle Classification, Chapman and Hall, 1993.
- I. D. Morrison and S. Ross, Colloidal Dispersions Suspensions, Emulsions, and Foams, Wiley-Interscience, 2002.
- J. Jiang, G. Oberdörster, and P. Biswas, “Characterization of size, surface charge, and agglomeration state of nanoparticle dispersions for toxicological studies,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 11, pp. 77–89, 2009.
- T. Cosgrove, Colloid Science: Principles, Methods and Applications, Blackwell, 2005.
- T. Pradeep, NANO: The Essentials, McGraw-Hill Education, 2007.
- S. Jailani, G. V. Franks, and T. W. Healy, “ζ Potential of nanoparticle suspensions: effect of electrolyte concentration, particle size, and volume fraction,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 1141–1147, 2008.
- Y. Liang and J. Binner, “Effect of triblock copolymer non-ionic surfactants on the rheology of 3 mol% yttria stabilised zirconia nanosuspensions,” Ceramics International, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 293–297, 2008.
- F. Caruso, Colloids and Colloid Assemblies, Wiley-VCH, 2004.
- D. Kong, H. Yang, Y. Yang, S. Wei, J. Wang, and B. Cheng, “Dispersion behavior and stabilization mechanism of alumina powders in silica sol,” Materials Letters, vol. 58, no. 27-28, pp. 3503–3508, 2004.
- J. J. McDermott and D. Velegol, “Simple fabrication of metallic colloidal doublets having electrical connectivity,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 4335–4339, 2008.
- T. Tsuji, D. H. Thang, Y. Okazaki, M. Nakanishi, Y. Tsuboi, and M. Tsuji, “Preparation of silver nanoparticles by laser ablation in polyvinylpyrrolidone solutions,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 254, no. 16, pp. 5224–5230, 2008.
- M. F. Meléndrez, G. Cárdenas, J. Díaz, C. Cruzat, and J. Arbiol, “Synthesis and aggregation study of tin nanoparticles and colloids obtained by chemical liquid deposition,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 287, pp. 13–22, 2009.
- S. H. Yeo, W. Kurnia, and P. C. Tan, “Critical assessment and numerical comparison of electro-thermal models in EDM,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 203, no. 1–3, pp. 241–251, 2008.
- K. Salonitis, A. Stournaras, P. Stavropoulos, and G. Chryssolouris, “Thermal modeling of the material removal rate and surface roughness for die-sinking EDM,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 40, no. 3-4, pp. 316–323, 2009.
- S. Son, H. Lim, A. S. Kumar, and M. Rahman, “Influences of pulsed power condition on the machining properties in micro EDM,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 190, no. 1–3, pp. 73–76, 2007.