- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 194854, 9 pages
Fabrication, Characterization, and Antimicrobial Activity, Evaluation of Low Silver Concentrations in Silver-Doped Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles
1Faculty of Physics, University of Bucharest, 405 Atomistilor, P.O. Box MG-1, 077125 Magurele, Romania
2National Institute of Materials Physics, 105 Bis Atomistilor, P.O. Box MG 07, 077125 Magurele, Romania
3Microbiology Department, Faculty of Biology, University of Bucharest, Aleea Portocalelor 1-3, 60101 Bucharest, Romania
Received 14 February 2013; Accepted 18 April 2013
Academic Editor: Suad Rashdan
Copyright © 2013 A. Costescu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Vallet-Regí, “Evolution of bioceramics within the field of biomaterials,” Comptes Rendus Chimie, vol. 13, no. 1-2, pp. 174–185, 2010.
- Z. Shi, X. Huang, Y. Cai, R. Tang, and D. Yang, “Size effect of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles on proliferation and apoptosis of osteoblast-like cells,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 338–345, 2009.
- J. Baier, R. Strumberger, F. Berger, P. Atanasova, U. Welzel, and J. Bill, “Mineralization and particle growth kinetics of ZnO in the presence of gelatin,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 339–349, 2012.
- J. Baier, T. Naumburg, N. J. Blumenstein et al., “Bio-inspired mineralization of zinc oxide in presence of ZnO-binding peptides,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 380–391, 2012.
- A. M. Grumezescu, E. Andronescu, A. Ficai, C. Bleotu, and M. C. Chifiriuc, “Chitin based biomaterial for antimicrobial therapy: fabrication, characterization and in vitro profile based interaction with eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 438–445, 2012.
- A. M. Grumezescu, E. Andronescu, A. Ficai et al., “Water soluble magnetic biocomposite with pontetial applications for the antimicrobial therapy,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 469–475, 2012.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, E. Gyorgy et al., “Biomedical properties and preparation of iron oxide-dextran nanostructures by maple technique,” Chemistry Central Journal, vol. 6, article 17, 2012.
- S. L. Iconaru, E. Andronescu, C. S. Ciobanu, A. M. Prodan, P. Le Coustumer, and D. Predoi, “Biocompatible magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles doped dextran thin films produced by spin coating deposition solution,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 399–409, 2012.
- S. L. Iconaru, A. M. Prodan, P. Le Coustumer, and D. Predoi, “Synthesis, antibacterial and antibiofilm activity of iron oxide glycerol nanoparticles obtained by co-precipitation method,” Journal of Chemistry, vol. 2013, Article ID 412079, 6 pages, 2013.
- Habraken WJEM, J. G. C. Wolke, and J. A. Jansen, “Ceramic composites as matrices and scaffolds fordrug delivery in tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 59, article 234, 2007.
- A. D. Russell and W. B. Hugo, “7 antimicrobial activity and action of silver,” Progress in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 31, pp. 351–370, 1994.
- J. L. Clement and P. S. Jarrett, “Antibacterial silver,” Metal-Based Drugs, vol. 1, article 467, 1994.
- C. S. Ciobanu, F. Massuyeau, L. V. Constantin, and D. Predoi, “Structural and physical properties of antibacterial Ag-doped nano-hydroxyapatite synthesized at 100°C,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 6, article 613, 2011.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, P. Le Coustumer, L. V. Constantin, and D. Predoi, “Antibacterial activity of silver-doped hydroxyapatite nanoparticles against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 7, article 324, 2012.
- I. Cacciotti, A. Bianco, M. Lombardi, and L. Montanaro, “Mg-substituted hydroxyapatite nanopowders: synthesis, thermal stability and sintering behaviour,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 29, no. 14, pp. 2969–2978, 2009.
- A. Bianco, I. Cacciotti, M. Lombardi, L. Montanaro, and G. Gusmano, “Thermal stability and sintering behaviour of hydroxyapatite nanopowders,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 237–243, 2007.
- S. Nath, S. Kalmodia, and B. Basu, “Densification, phase stability and in vitro biocompatibility property of hydroxyapatite-10 wt% silver composites,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1273–1287, 2010.
- Q. Y. Ma, S. J. Tralna, T. J. Logan, and J. A. Ryan, “Effects of aqueous AI, Cd, Cu, Fe(II), Ni, and Zn on Pb immobilization by hydroxyapatite,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1219–1228, 1994.
- A. Corami, S. Mignardi, and V. Ferrini, “Cadmium removal from single- and multi-metal (Cd + Pb + Zn + Cu) solutions by sorption on hydroxyapatite,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 317, no. 2, pp. 402–408, 2008.
- A. G. Nazari, A. Tahari, F. Moztarzadeh, M. Mozafari, and M. E. Bahrololoom, “Ion exchange behaviour of silver-doped apatite micro- and nanoparticles as antibacterial biomaterial,” Micro and Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 713–717, 2011.
- M. C. Chifiriuc, R. Palade, and A. M. Israil, “Comparative analysis of disk diffusion and liquid medium microdillution methods fortesting the antibiotic susceptibility patterns of anaerobic bacterial strains isolated from intrabdominal infections,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 209–220, 2011.
- P. B. Mohite, R. B. Pandhare, and S. G. Khanage, “Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of some new pyrimidines containing tetrazole,” vol. 1, pp. 258–263, 2012.
- L. Marutescu, C. Limban, M. C. Chifiriuc, A. V. Missir, I. C. Chirita, and M. T. Caproiu, “Studies on the antimicrobial activity of new compounds containing thiourea function,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 6, article 236, 2011.
- S. G. Khanage, P. B. Mohite, R. B. Pandhare, and S. Raju, “Investigation of pyrazole and tetrazole derivatives containing 3,5 disubstituted-4H-1,2,4-triazole as a potential antitubercular and antifungal agent,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 277–283, 2012.
- A. P. Mishra, H. Purwar, and R. K. Jain, “Microwave synthesis, spectral, thermal and antimicrobial activities of Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu (II) metal complexes with Schiff base ligand,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 291–299, 2012.
- S. G. Khanage, P. B. Mohite, R. B. Pandhare, and S. A. Raju, “Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial evaluation of 3,5 diphenyl-1H-1,2,4-triazole containing pyrazole function,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 313–319, 2012.
- A. I. Shah and D. S. Raj, “Design, synthesis and in vitro evaluation of the antibacterial and antifungal activity of some new dihydropyrano[3,2-c]chromene derivatives,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 320–331, 2012.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, M. C. Chifiriuc, A. Costescu, P. Le Coustumer, and D. Predoi, “Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of silver-doped hydroxyapatite nanoparticles,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 916218, 10 pages, 2013.
- A. Ravindran, A. Singh, A. M. Raichur, N. Chandrasekaran, and A. Mukherjee, “Studies on interaction of colloidal Ag nanoparticles with bovine serum albumin (BSA),” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2010.
- M. Shirkhanzadeh, M. Azadegan, and G. Q. Liu, “Bioactive delivery systems for the slow release of antibiotics: incorporation of Ag+ ions into micro-porous hydroxyapatite coatings,” Materials Letters, vol. 24, no. 1–3, pp. 7–12, 1995.
- D. Predoi, R. V. Ghita, F. Ungureanu, C. C. Negrila, R. A. Vatasescu-Balcan, and M. Costache, “Characteristics of hydroxyapatite thin films,” Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 3827–3831, 2007.
- D. Predoi, M. Barsan, E. Andronescu, R. A. Vatasescu-Balcan, and M. Costache, “Hydroxyapatite-iron oxide bioceramic prepared using nano-size powders,” Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 3609–3613, 2007.
- J. Qian, Y. Kang, W. Zhang, and Z. Li, “Fabrication, chemical composition change and phase evolution of biomorphic hydroxyapatite,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 3373–3383, 2008.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, F. Massuyeau, L. V. Constantin, and D. Predoi, “Synthesis, structure, and luminescent properties of europium-doped hydroxyapatite nanocrystalline powders,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 942801, 9 pages, 2012.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, P. Le Coustumer, and D. Predoi, “Vibrational investigations of silver-doped hydroxyapatite with antibacterial properties,” Journal of Spectroscopy, vol. 2013, Article ID 471061, 5 pages, 2013.
- X. Bai, K. More, C. M. Rouleau, and A. Rabiei, “Functionally graded hydroxyapatite coatings doped with antibacterial components,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2264–2273, 2010.
- A. Mortier, J. Lemaitre, and P. G. Rouxhet, “Temperature-programmed characterization of synthetic calcium-deficient phosphate apatites,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 143, pp. 265–282, 1989.
- S. Koutsopoulos, “Preparation of calcium aluminate cement for hard tissue repair: effects of lithium fluoride and maleic acid on setting behavior, compressive strength, and biocompatibility,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 593–599, 2002.
- B. O. Fowler, “Infrared studies of apatites. I. Vibrational assignments for calcium, strontium, and barium hydroxyapatites utilizing isotopic substitution,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 194–207, 1974.
- U. Kreibig and M. Vollmer, Optical Properties of Metal Clusters, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1995.
- J. R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho et al., “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- S. Pal, Y. K. Tak, and J. M. Song, “Does the antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles depend on the shape of the nanoparticle? A study of the gram-negative bacterium Escherichia coli,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1712–1720, 2007.
- F. Raimondi, G. G. Scherer, R. Kötz, and A. Wokaun, “Nanoparticles in energy technology: examples from electrochemistry and catalysis,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 44, no. 15, pp. 2190–2209, 2005.