- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 198096, 11 pages
Self-Propagating Reactive Fronts in Compacts of Multilayered Particles
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
2Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
3Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Duke University, 144 Hudson Hall, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Received 6 December 2012; Accepted 16 February 2013
Academic Editor: Tianxi Liu
Copyright © 2013 Ihab Sraj et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Duckham, S. J. Spey, J. Wang et al., “Reactive nanostructured foil used as a heat source for joining titanium,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 96, pp. 2336–2342, 2004.
- A. Duckham, J. Newson, M. V. Brown et al., “Method for fabricating large dimension bonds using reactive multilayer joining,” U.S. Patent 7,354,659, 2008.
- G. Van Heerden, J. Newson, T. Rude, O. M. Knio, and T. P. Weihs, “Methods and device for controlling pressure in reactive multilayer joining and resulting product,” U.S. Patent 7,441,688, 2008.
- J. Wang, E. Besnoin, O. M. Knio, and T. P. Weihs, “Nanostructured soldered or brazed joints made with reactive multilayer foils,” U.S. Patent 7,361,412, 2008.
- J. Wang, E. Besnoin, O. M. Knio, and T. P. Weihs, “Effects of physical properties of components on reactive nanolayer joining,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 97, no. 11, Article ID 114307, pp. 1–7, 2005.
- G. Van Heerden, D. Deger, T. P. Weihs, and O. M. Knio, “Hermetically sealing a container with crushable material and reactive multilayer material,” U.S. Patent 7,143,568, 2006.
- G. Van Heerden, D. Deger, T. P. Weihs, and O. M. Knio, “Container hermetically sealed with crushable material and reactive multilayer material,” U.S. Patent 7,121,402, 2006.
- D. Van Heerden, E. Besnoin, S. J. Spey et al., “Methods of controlling multilayer foil ignition,” U.S. Patent Application 20050142495, 2005.
- S. J. Spey, “Ignition properties of multilayer nanoscale reactive foils and the properties of metal-ceramic joints made with the same,” [Ph.D. thesis], Johns Hopkins University, 2005.
- M. E. Reiss, C. M. Esber, D. van Heerden, A. J. Gavens, M. E. Williams, and T. P. Weihs, “Self-propagating formation reactions in Nb/Si multilayers,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol. 261, no. 1-2, pp. 217–222, 1999.
- A. G. Merzhanov, “Self-propagating high-temperature synthesis: twenty years of search and findings,” in Combustion and Plasma Synthesis of High-Temperature Materials, Z. Munir and J. Holt, Eds., VCH Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- M. Koizumi and Y. Miyamoto, “Recent progress in combustion synthesis of high-performance materials in japan,” in Combustion and Plasma Synthesis of High-Temperature Materials, Z. Munir and J. Holt, Eds., VCH Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- J. Braeuer, J. Besser, M. Wiemer, and T. Gessner, “Room-temperature reactive bonding by using nano scale multilayer systems,” in Proceedings of the 16th International Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems Conference (TRANSDUCERS '11), pp. 1332–1335, 2011.
- K. J. Blobaum, Heerden, D. Van, A. J. Gavens, and T. P. Weihs, “Al/Ni formation reactions: characterization of the metastable Al9Ni2 phase and analysis of its formation,” Acta Materialia, vol. 51, no. 13, pp. 3871–3884, 2003.
- J. Wang, E. Besnoin, A. Duckham et al., “Joining of stainless-steel specimens with nanostructured Al/Ni foils,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 248–256, 2004.
- A. S. Rogachev, A. É. Grigoryan, E. V. Illarionova et al., “Gasless combustion of Ti-Al bimetallic multilayer nanofoils,” Combustion, Explosion and Shock Waves, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 166–171, 2004.
- J. C. Gachon, A. S. Rogachev, H. E. Grigoryan et al., “On the mechanism of heterogeneous reaction and phase formation in Ti/Al multilayer nanofilms,” Acta Materialia, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1225–1231, 2005.
- D. P. Adams, M. A. Rodriguez, C. P. Tigges, and P. G. Kotula, “Self-propagating, high-temperature combustion synthesis of rhombohedral AlPt thin films,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 21, pp. 3168–3179, 2006.
- D. P. Adams, M. M. Bai, M. A. Rodriguez, J. J. Moore, L. N. Brewer, and J. B. Kelley, “Structure and properties of Ni/Ti thin films used for brazing,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Brazing and Soldering Conference, J. Stephens and K. Weil, Eds., pp. 298–302, April 2006.
- Y. N. Picard, D. P. Adams, J. A. Palmer, and S. M. Yalisove, “Pulsed laser ignition of reactive multilayer films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 88, no. 14, Article ID 144102, 2006.
- A. S. Rogachev, “Exothermic reaction waves in multilayer nanofilms,” Russian Chemical Reviews, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 21–37, 2008.
- P. Kelly and S. Tinston, “Pyrotechnic devices by unbalanced magnetron sputtering,” Vacuum, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 507–511, 1994.
- B. Aikin and T. Courtney, “The kinetics of composite particle formation during mechanical alloying,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 647–657, 1993.
- S. Behaddad, S. Bhan, and A. Rahmat, “Effect of ball milling time on Ti-Al and Ni-Al powder mixtures,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 855–857, 1997.
- A. S. Shteinberg, Y. C. Lin, S. F. Son, and A. S. Mukasyan, “Kinetics of high temperature reaction in Ni-Al system: influence of mechanical activation,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 114, no. 20, pp. 6111–6116, 2010.
- A. S. Rogachev, J. C. Gachon, H. E. Grigoryan et al., “Diffraction of synchrotron radiation for in situ study of the heterogeneous reaction mechanisms in lamellar composites obtained by mechanical activation and magnetron sputtering,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section A, vol. 575, no. 1-2, pp. 126–129, 2007.
- R. Knepper, M. R. Snyder, G. Fritz, K. Fisher, O. M. Knio, and T. P. Weihs, “Effect of varying bilayer spacing distribution on reaction heat and velocity in reactive Al/Ni multilayers,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 105, no. 8, Article ID 083504, 2009.
- S. Jayaraman, A. B. Mann, M. Reiss, T. P. Weihs, and O. M. Knio, “Numerical study of the effect of heat losses on self-propagating reactions in multilayer foils,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 124, no. 1-2, pp. 178–194, 2001.
- G. M. Fritz, H. Joress, and T. P. Weihs, “Enabling and controlling slow reaction velocities in low-density compacts of multilayer reactive particles,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 158, no. 6, pp. 1084–1088, 2011.
- M. Salloum and O. M. Knio, “Simulation of reactive nanolaminates using reduced models: I. Basic formulation,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 288–295, 2010.
- M. Salloum and O. M. Knio, “Simulation of reactive nanolaminates using reduced models: II. Normal propagation,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 436–445, 2010.
- M. Salloum and O. M. Knio, “Simulation of reactive nanolaminates using reduced models: III. Ingredients for a general multidimensional formulation,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 157, no. 6, pp. 1154–1166, 2010.
- S. Jayaraman, A. B. Mann, T. P. Weihs, and O. M. Knio, Twenty-Seventh International Symposium on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, 1998.
- E. Besnoin, S. Cerutti, O. M. Knio, and T. P. Weihs, “Effect of reactant and product melting on self-propagating reactions in multilayer foils,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 92, pp. 5474–5481, 2002.
- A. B. Mann, A. J. Gavens, M. E. Reiss, D. van Heerden, G. Bao, and T. P. Weihs, “Modeling and characterizing the propagation velocity of exothermic reactions in multilayer foils,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 1178–1188, 1997.
- L. Alawieh, O. M. Knio, and T. P. Weihs, “Effect of thermal properties on self-propagating fronts in reactive nanolaminates,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 110, no. 1, Article ID 013509, 14 pages, 2011.
- O. M. Knio, E. Besnoin, Y. Xun, D. Lunking, and D. Van Heerden, “A simplified probabilistic model of self-propagating reactions in randomly layered nanolaminates,” Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 2298–2306, 2009.
- S. Jayaraman, O. M. Knio, A. B. Mann, and T. P. Weihs, “Numerical predictions of oscillatory combustion in reactive multilayers,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 86, pp. 800–809, 1999.
- S. Jayaraman, A. B. Mann, O. M. Knio, G. Bao, and T. P. Weihs, “Modeling self-propagating exothermic reactions in multilayer systems,” in MRS Symposium Proceedings, E. Ma, M. Atzmon, P. Bellon, and R. Trivedi, Eds., vol. 481, pp. 563–568, 1998.
- M. Shapiro, V. Dudko, V. Royzen et al., “Characterization of powder beds by thermal conductivity: effect of gas pressure on the thermal resistance of particle contact points,” Particle & Particle Systems Characterization, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 268–275, 2004.
- Y. Xiao, H. Sun, L. Xu, H. Feng, and H. Zhu, “Thermal contact conductance between solid interfaces under low temperature and vacuum,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 3074–3076, 2004.
- F. H. Milanez, M. M. Yovanovich, and M. B. H. Mantelli, “Thermal contact conductance at low contact pressures,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 2004.