- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 247045, 8 pages
Dependence of Plasmonic Properties of Silver Island Films on Nanoparticle Size and Substrate Coverage
1Thin Film Laboratory, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
2Hind High Vacuum Company Private Limited, No. 17, Phase 1, Peenya Industrial Area, Bangalore 560058, India
Received 10 May 2013; Revised 6 August 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editor: Chunyi Zhi
Copyright © 2013 M. G. Sreenivasan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. A. Atwater and A. Polman, “Plasmonics for improved photovoltaic devices,” Nature Materials, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 205–213, 2010.
- A. Polman and H. A. Atwater, “Photonic design principles for ultrahigh-efficiency photovoltaics,” Nature Materials, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 174–177, 2012.
- O. Stenzel, A. Stendal, K. Voigtsberger, and C. von Borczyskowski, “Enhancement of the photovoltaic conversion efficiency of copper phthalocyanine thin film devices by incorporation of metal clusters,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 37, no. 3-4, pp. 337–348, 1995.
- H. R. Stuart and D. G. Hall, “Absorption enhancement in silicon-on-insulator waveguides using metal island films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 69, no. 16, pp. 2327–2329, 1996.
- H. R. Stuart and D. G. Hall, “Island size effects in nanoparticle-enhanced photodetectors,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 73, no. 26, pp. 3815–3817, 1998.
- D. M. Schaadt, B. Feng, and E. T. Yu, “Enhanced semiconductor optical absorption via surface plasmon excitation in metal nanoparticles,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 6, Article ID 063106, 3 pages, 2005.
- D. Derkacs, S. H. Lim, P. Matheu, W. Mar, and E. T. Yu, “Improved performance of amorphous silicon solar cells via scattering from surface plasmon polaritons in nearby metallic nanoparticles,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, no. 9, Article ID 093103, 3 pages, 2006.
- S. Pillai, K. R. Catchpole, T. Trupke, and M. A. Green, “Surface plasmon enhanced silicon solar cells,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 101, no. 9, Article ID 093105, 8 pages, 2007.
- K. R. Catchpole and A. Polman, “Design principles for particle plasmon enhanced solar cells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 93, no. 19, Article ID 191113, 3 pages, 2008.
- C. Hägglund, M. Zäch, and B. Kasemo, “Enhanced charge carrier generation in dye sensitized solar cells by nanoparticle plasmons,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 1, Article ID 013113, 3 pages, 2008.
- S. S. Kim, S. I. Na, J. Jo, D. Y. Kim, and Y. C. Nah, “Plasmon enhanced performance of organic solar cells using electrodeposited Ag nanoparticles,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 93, no. 7, Article ID 073307, 3 pages, 2008.
- K. Nakayama, K. Tanabe, and H. A. Atwater, “Plasmonic nanoparticle enhanced light absorption in GaAs solar cells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 93, no. 12, Article ID 121904, 3 pages, 2008.
- S. Varlamov, Z. Ouyang, X. Zhao, and D. S. Jung, “Surface plasmon enhanced light-trapping in polycrystalline silicon thin-film solar,” in Proceedings of the Photonics Global Conference (PGC '10), pp. 1–6, December 2010.
- R. Najjar, E. Quesnel, N. Baclet et al., “Improvement of energy conversion efficiency of amorphous silicon thin-film solar cells through plasmon effect,” in Proceedings of the MIDEM 2009 Conference, pp. 281–286, 2009.
- C. Eminian, F. J. Haug, O. Cubero, X. Niquille, and C. Ballif, “Photocurrent enhancement in thin film amorphous silicon solar cells with silver nanoparticles,” Progress in Photovoltaics, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 260–265, 2011.
- E. Moulin, J. Sukmanowski, M. Schulte, A. Gordijn, F. X. Royer, and H. Stiebig, “Thin-film silicon solar cells with integrated silver nanoparticles,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 516, no. 20, pp. 6813–6817, 2008.
- X. Chen, B. Jia, J. K. Saha et al., “Broadband enhancement in thin-film amorphous silicon solar cells enabled by nucleated silver nanoparticles,” Nano Letters, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 2187–2192, 2012.
- ImageJ, http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/.
- J. P. Clarkson, Plasmon enhanced absorption in photovoltaic cells [Ph.D. thesis], University of Rochester, 2010.
- S. A. Maier, M. L. Brongersma, P. G. Kik, and H. A. Atwater, “Observation of near-field coupling in metal nanoparticle chains using far-field polarization spectroscopy,” Physical Review B, vol. 65, no. 19, Article ID 193408, 4 pages, 2002.
- K. H. Su, Q. H. Wei, X. Zhang, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, “Interparticle coupling effects on plasmon resonances of nanogold particles,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 1087–1090, 2003.
- P. K. Jain, W. Huang, and M. A. El-Sayed, “On the universal scaling behavior of the distance decay of plasmon coupling in metal nanoparticle pairs: a plasmon ruler equation,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 2080–2088, 2007.
- S. Berciaud, L. Cognet, P. Tamarat, and B. Lounis, “Observation of intrinsic size effects in the optical response of individual gold nanoparticles,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 515–518, 2005.
- K. R. Catchpole and A. Polman, “Plasmonic solar cells,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 26, pp. 21793–21800, 2008.
- Y. A. Akimov, W. S. Koh, and K. Ostrikov, “Enhancement of optical absorption in thin-film solar cells through the excitation of higher-order nanoparticle plasmon modes,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 10195–10205, 2009.