- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 254127, 12 pages
Retinoic Acid Decorated Albumin-Chitosan Nanoparticles for Targeted Delivery of Doxorubicin Hydrochloride in Hepatocellular Carcinoma
1Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy and Novel Drug Delivery Systems Research Centre, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 81745-359, Isfahan, Iran
2Department of Medicinal Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
3Department of Biotechnology, School of Pharmacy, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Received 9 February 2013; Accepted 1 April 2013
Academic Editor: Mohamed Bououdina
Copyright © 2013 Jaleh Varshosaz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. B. El-Serag, “Hepatocellular carcinoma: an epidemiologic view,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 35, supplement 5, pp. S27–S28, 2002.
- J. M. Llovet, S. Ricci, V. Mazzaferro et al., “Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 4, pp. 378–390, 2008.
- D. M. Parkin, F. Bray, J. Ferlay, and P. Pisani, “Global cancer statistics, 2002,” Ca: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 74–108, 2005.
- H. B. El-Serag and K. L. Rudolph, “Hepatocellular carcinoma: epidemiology and molecular carcinogenesis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 7, pp. 2557–2576, 2007.
- V. K. Rustgi, “Epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 545–551, 1987.
- W. T. London, “Primary hepatocellular carcinoma—etiology, pathogenesis, and prevention,” Human Pathology, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1085–1097, 1981.
- C. L. Lai, P. B. Gregory, P. C. Wu, A. S. F. Lok, K. P. Wong, and M. M. T. Ng, “Hepatocellular carcinoma in Chinese males and females. Possible causes for the male predominance,” Cancer, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 1107–1110, 1987.
- C. Muir, J. Waterhouse, J. Powell, T. Mack, and S. Whelan, Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Volume 5, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- S. R. Nerenstone, D. C. Ihde, and M. A. Friedman, “Clinical trials in primary hepatocellular carcinoma: current status and future directions,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–31, 1988.
- M. A. Avila, C. Berasain, B. Sangro, and J. Prieto, “New therapies for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Oncogene, vol. 25, no. 27, pp. 3866–3884, 2006.
- M. Huang and G. Liu, “The study of innate drug resistance of human hepatocellular carcinoma Bel7402 cell line,” Cancer Letters, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 97–107, 1999.
- J. M. Llovet, A. Burroughs, and J. Bruix, “Hepatocellular carcinoma,” The Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9399, pp. 1907–1917, 2003.
- P. B. Jensen, B. S. Sorensen, M. Sehested et al., “Different modes of anthracycline interaction with topoisomerase II. Separate structures critical for DNA-cleavage, and for overcoming topoisomerase II-related drug resistance,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 2025–2035, 1993.
- K. Shan, A. Michael Lincoff, and J. B. Young, “Anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 47–58, 1996.
- E. Ruoslahti, S. N. Bhatia, and M. J. Sailor, “Targeting of drugs and nanoparticles to tumors,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 188, no. 6, pp. 759–768, 2010.
- T. J. Harris, G. von Maltzahn, M. E. Lord et al., “Protease-triggered unveiling of bioactive nanoparticles,” Small, vol. 4, pp. 1307–1312, 2008.
- S. M. Moghimi, A. C. Hunter, and J. C. Murray, “Long-circulating and target-specific nanoparticles: theory to practice,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 283–318, 2001.
- S. Wagner, F. Rothweiler, M. G. Anhorn et al., “Enhanced drug targeting by attachment of an anti αv integrin antibody to doxorubicin loaded human serum albumin nanoparticles,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2388–2398, 2010.
- J. Chen, H. Wu, D. Han, and C. Xie, “Using anti-VEGF McAb and magnetic nanoparticles as double-targeting vector for the radioimmunotherapy of liver cancer,” Cancer Letters, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 169–175, 2006.
- P. Liu, Z. Li, M. Zhu et al., “Preparation of EGFR monoclonal antibody conjugated nanoparticles and targeting to hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 551–556, 2010.
- T. H. Kim, I. K. Park, J. W. Nah, Y. J. Choi, and C. S. Cho, “Galactosylated chitosan/DNA nanoparticles prepared using water-soluble chitosan as a gene carrier,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 3783–3792, 2004.
- K. Sano, T. Takayama, K. Murakami, I. Saiki, and M. Makuuchi, “Overexpression of retinoic acid receptor α in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 10 I, pp. 3679–3683, 2003.
- J. Edeline, J. L. Raoul, E. Vauleon, A. Guillygomac'h, K. Boudjema, and E. Boucher, “Systemic chemotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma in non-cirrhotic liver: a retrospective study,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 713–716, 2009.
- C. E. Sever and J. Locker, “Expression of retinoic acid α and β receptor genes in liver and hepatocellular carcinoma,” Molecular Carcinogenesis, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 138–144, 1991.
- T. T. Schug, D. C. Berry, N. S. Shaw, S. N. Travis, and N. Noy, “Opposing effects of retinoic acid on cell growth result from alternate activation of two different nuclear receptors,” Cell, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 723–733, 2007.
- F. Recchia, G. Saggio, A. Cesta et al., “Phase II study of interleukin-2 and 13-cis-retinoic acid as maintenance therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer,” Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 699–708, 2007.
- J. Guo, B. Xiao, Y. Lou et al., “Antitumor effects of all-trans-retinoic acid on cultured human pancreatic cancer cells,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 443–448, 2006.
- A. M. Tsimberidou, M. Tirado-Gomez, M. Andreeff et al., “Single-agent liposomal all-trans retinoic acid can cure some patients with untreated acute promyelocytic leukemia: an update of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Series,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1062–1068, 2006.
- B. Singh, R. F. Murphy, X. Z. Ding, A. B. Roginsky, R. H. Bell Jr., and T. E. Adrian, “On the role of transforming growth factor-β in the growth inhibitory effects of retinoic acid in human pancreatic cancer cells,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 6, article no. 82, 2007.
- L. Altucci and H. Gronemeyer, “The promise of retinoids to fight against cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 181–193, 2001.
- M. P. Patel, R. R. Patel, and J. K. Patel, “Chitosan mediated targeted drug delivery system: a review,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 536–557, 2010.
- S. Hirano, H. Seino, Y. Akiyama, and I. Nonaka, “Chitosan: a biocompatible material for oral and intravenous administration,” in Progress in Biomedical Polymers, C. G. Gebelein and R. L. Dunn, Eds., Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- Y. Zheng, Z. Cai, X. Song et al., “Preparation and characterization of folate conjugated N-trimethyl chitosan nanoparticles as protein carrier targeting folate receptor: in vitro studies,” Journal of Drug Targeting, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 294–303, 2009.
- K. Y. Lee, I. C. Kwon, Y. H. Kim, W. H. Jo, and S. Y. Jeong, “Preparation of chitosan self-aggregates as a gene delivery system,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 51, no. 2-3, pp. 213–220, 1998.
- L. Chen and M. Subirade, “Chitosan/β-lactoglobulin core-shell nanoparticles as nutraceutical carriers,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 30, pp. 6041–6053, 2005.
- T. W. Wang, Q. Xu, Y. Wu, A. J. Zeng, M. Li, and H. Gao, “Quaternized chitosan (QCS)/poly (aspartic acid) nanoparticles as a protein drug-delivery system,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 344, no. 7, pp. 908–914, 2009.
- M. A. Bayomi, “Aqueous preparation and evaluation of albumin-chitosan microspheres containing indomethacin,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 329–339, 2004.
- A. O. Elzoghby, W. M. Samy, and N. A. Elgindy, “Albumin-based nanoparticles as potential controlled release drug delivery systems,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 168–182, 2012.
- E. C. van Dalen, E. M. Michiels, H. N. Caron, and L. C. Kremer, “Different anthracycline derivates for reducing cardiotoxicity in cancer patients,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 3, Article ID CD005006, 2010.
- A. Fattahi, M. A. Golozar, J. Varshosaz, M. H. Sadeghi, and M. Fathi, “Preparation and characterization of micelles of oligomeric chitosan linked to all trans retinoic acid,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 87, pp. 1176–1184, 2012.
- J. Qi, P. Yao, F. He, C. Yu, and C. Huang, “Nanoparticles with dextran/chitosan shell and BSA/chitosan core—doxorubicin loading and delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 393, no. 1-2, pp. 176–184, 2010.
- E. B. Denkbaş, E. Kiliçay, C. Birlikseven, and E. Öztürk, “Magnetic chitosan microspheres: preparation and characterization,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 50, pp. 225–232, 2002.
- Y. B. Ge, D. W. Chen, L. P. Xie, and R. Q. Zhang, “Optimized preparation of daidzein-loaded chitosan microspheres and in vivo evaluation after intramuscular injection in rats,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 338, no. 1-2, pp. 142–151, 2007.
- M. A. Bayomi, S. A. Al-Suwayeh, A. M. El-Helw, and A. F. Mesnad, “Preparation of casein-chitosan microspheres containing diltiazem hydrochloride by an aqueous coacervation technique,” Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 187–192, 1998.
- C. Freitas and R. H. Müller, “Effect of light and temperature on zeta potential and physical stability in solid lipid nanoparticle (SLN) dispersions,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 221–229, 1998.
- V. R. Sinha, A. K. Singla, S. Wadhawan et al., “Chitosan microspheres as a potential carrier for drugs,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 274, no. 1-2, pp. 1–33, 2004.
- Y. Nishioka, S. kyotani, H. Masui et al., “Preparation and release characteristics of cisplatin albumin microspheres containing chitin and treated with chitosan,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 3074–3077, 1989.
- G. V. M. M. Babu, C. D. S. Prasad, C. P. S. Narayan, and K. V. R. Murthy, “New system for microencapsulation of diclofenac sodium using gum karaya and chitosan,” Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, vol. 9, no. 3-4, pp. 169–178, 2001.
- M. A. Antonyak, U. S. Singh, D. A. Lee et al., “Effects of tissue trans glutaminase on retinoic acid-induced cellular differentiation and protection against a poptosis,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 36, pp. 33582–33587, 2001.