- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 259458, 7 pages
Energy Dissipation and the High-Strain Rate Dynamic Response of Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotube Ensembles Grown on Silicon Wafer Substrate
1Composite Structures and Nano-Engineering Research, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677, USA
2U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center—Construction Engineering Research Laboratory (ERDC-CERL), Champaign, IL 61821, USA
Received 14 March 2013; Revised 3 August 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Teng Li
Copyright © 2013 P. Raju Mantena et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. Seah, S. P. Chai, and A. R. Mohamed, “Synthesis of aligned carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 49, no. 14, pp. 4613–4635, 2011.
- Y. J. Jung, B. Q. Wei, R. Vajtai, et al., “Mechanism of selective growth of carbon nanotubes on SiO2/Si patterns,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 561–564, 2003.
- C. Daraio, V. F. Nesterenko, and S. Jin, “Highly nonlinear contact interaction and dynamic energy dissipation by forest of carbon nanotubes,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 23, pp. 5724–5726, 2004.
- S. Handuja, S. P. Singh, P. Srivastava, and V. D. Vankar, “Growth of long aligned carbon nanotubes on amorphous hydrogenated silicon nitride by thermal chemical vapor deposition,” Materials Letters, vol. 63, no. 15, pp. 1249–1251, 2009.
- Y. Zeng, L. Ci, B. J. Carey, R. Vajtai, and P. M. Ajayan, “Design and reinforcement: vertically aligned carbon nanotube-based sandwich composites,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 6798–6804, 2010.
- B. Pramanik and P. R. Mantena, “Viscoelastic response of graphite platelet and CTBN reinforced vinyl ester nanocomposites,” Materials Sciences and Applications, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 1667–1674, 2011.
- Dynamic Mechanical Analyzer, Q Series, Calculation Based on Clamp Type, Revision F, TA Instruments, New Castle, Del, USA, 2004.
- M. A. Hopcroft, W. D. Nix, and T. W. Kenny, “What is the Young's modulus of silicon?” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 19, no. 2, Article ID 5430873, pp. 229–238, 2010.
- B. A. Gama, S. L. Lopatnikov, and J. W. Gillespie Jr., “Hopkinson bar experimental technique: a critical review,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 223–250, 2004.
- F. Yi, Z. Zhu, F. Zu, S. Hu, and P. Yi, “Strain rate effects on the compressive property and the energy-absorbing capacity of aluminum alloy foams,” Materials Characterization, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 417–422, 2001.
- B. Song and W. Chen, “Split Hopkinson pressure bar techniques for characterizing soft materials,” Latin American Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 113–152, 2005.
- A. Cao, P. L. Dickrell, W. G. Sawyer, M. N. Ghasemi-Nejhad, and P. M. Ajayan, “Super-compressible foamlike carbon nanotube films,” Science, vol. 310, no. 5752, pp. 1307–1310, 2005.
- T. Tong, Y. Zhao, L. Delzeit, M. A. Kashani, M. Meyyappan, and A. Majumdar, “Height independent compressive modulus of vertically aligned carbon nanotube arrays,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 511–515, 2008.
- S. B. Hutchens, A. Needleman, and J. R. Greer, “Analysis of uniaxial compression of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 2227–2237, 2011.