- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 291020, 8 pages
Enhanced Intracellular Uptake of CdTe Quantum Dots by Conjugation of Oligopeptides
1Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
2Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
3College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University, Beijing 100-871, China
Received 10 January 2013; Accepted 3 April 2013
Academic Editor: Miguel A. Correa-Duarte
Copyright © 2013 Moon-Jeong Choi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Pan, Y. Wang, and S. S. Feng, “Formulation, characterization, and in vitro evaluation of quantum dots loaded in poly(Lactide)-Vitamin E TPGS nanoparticles for cellular and molecular imaging,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 622–633, 2008.
- F. Pinaud, X. Michalet, L. A. Bentolila et al., “Advances in fluorescence imaging with quantum dot bio-probes,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1679–1687, 2006.
- J. Pan and S. S. Feng, “Targeting and imaging cancer cells by Folate-decorated, quantum dots (QDs)-loaded nanoparticles of biodegradable polymers,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1176–1183, 2009.
- K. S. Soppimath, T. M. Aminabhavi, A. R. Kulkarni, and W. E. Rudzinski, “Biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles as drug delivery devices,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 70, no. 1-2, pp. 1–20, 2001.
- T. Jamieson, R. Bakhshi, D. Petrova, R. Pocock, M. Imani, and A. M. Seifalian, “Biological applications of quantum dots,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 31, pp. 4717–4732, 2007.
- A. P. Alivisatos, W. Gu, and C. Larabell, “Quantum dots as cellular probes,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 7, pp. 55–76, 2005.
- X. Michalet, F. F. Pinaud, L. A. Bentolila et al., “Quantum dots for live cells, in vivo imaging, and diagnostics,” Science, vol. 307, no. 5709, pp. 538–544, 2005.
- A. M. Derfus, W. C. W. Chan, and S. N. Bhatia, “Probing the cytotoxicity of semiconductor quantum dots,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2004.
- E. T. Ben-Ari, “Nanoscale quantum dots hold promise for cancer applications,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 502–504, 2003.
- H. Mattoussi, J. Matthew Mauro, E. R. Goldman et al., “Self-assembly of CdSe-ZnS quantum dot bioconjugates using an engineered recombinant protein,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 122, no. 49, pp. 12142–12150, 2000.
- M. T. Fernández-Arguelles, A. Yakovlev, R. A. Sperling et al., “Synthesis and characterization of polymer-coated quantum dots with integrated acceptor dyes as FRET-based nanoprobes,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 2613–2617, 2007.
- Z. Chen, H. Chen, H. Meng et al., “Bio-distribution and metabolic paths of silica coated CdSeS quantum dots,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 230, no. 3, pp. 364–371, 2008.
- J. G. Rouse, C. M. Haslauer, E. G. Loboa, and N. A. Monteiro-Riviere, “Cyclic tensile strain increases interactions between human epidermal keratinocytes and quantum dot nanoparticles,” Toxicology In Vitro, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 491–497, 2008.
- K. I. Hanaki, A. Momo, T. Oku et al., “Semiconductor quantum dot/albumin complex is a long-life and highly photostable endosome marker,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 302, no. 3, pp. 496–501, 2003.
- H. M. Chen, X. F. Huang, L. Xu, J. Xu, K. J. Chen, and D. Feng, “Surface-defect-states photoluminescence in CdS nanocrystals prepared by one-step aqueous synthesis method,” Superletter Microstructure, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1–5, 2000.
- X. Gao, W. C. W. Chan, and S. Nie, “Quantum-dot nanocrystals for ultrasensitive biological labeling and multicolor optical encoding,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 532–537, 2002.
- C. C. Chen, C. P. Yet, H. N. Wang, and C. Y. Chao, “Self-assembly of monolayers of cadmium selenide nanocrystals with dual color emission,” Langmuir, vol. 15, no. 20, pp. 6845–6850, 1999.
- F. Chen and D. Gerion, “Fluorescent CdSe/ZnS nanocrystal-peptide conjugates for long-term, nontoxic imaging and nuclear targeting in living cells,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1827–1832, 2004.
- M. Bruchez, M. Moronne, P. Gin, S. Weiss, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Semiconductor nanocrystals as fluorescent biological labels,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2013–2016, 1998.
- W. C. W. Chan, D. J. Maxwell, X. Gao, R. E. Bailey, M. Han, and S. Nie, “Luminescent quantum dots for multiplexed biological detection and imaging,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2002.
- F. Pinaud, D. King, H. P. Moore, and S. Weiss, “Bioactivation and Cell Targeting of Semiconductor CdSe/ZnS Nanocrystals with Phytochelatin-Related Peptides,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 19, pp. 6115–6123, 2004.
- W. C. W. Chan and S. Nie, “Quantum dot bioconjugates for ultrasensitive nonisotopic detection,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5385, pp. 2016–2018, 1998.
- E. R. Goldman, G. P. Anderson, P. T. Tran, H. Mattoussi, P. T. Charles, and J. M. Mauro, “Conjugation of luminescent quantum dots with antibodies using an engineered adaptor protein to provide new reagents for fluoroimmunoassays,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 841–847, 2002.
- D. Gerion, W. J. Parak, S. C. Williams, D. Zanchet, C. M. Micheel, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Sorting fluorescent nanocrystals with DNA,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 24, pp. 7070–7074, 2002.
- Z. C. Xing, M. J. Park, S. J. Han, M. J. Choi, B. H. Lee, and I. K. Kang, “Intracellular uptake of magnetite nanoparticles conjugated with RGDS-peptide,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 897–903, 2011.
- H. He, M. Feng, J. Hu et al., “Designed short RGD peptides for one-pot aqueous synthesis of integrin-binding CdTe and CdZnTe quantum dots,” Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 6362–6370, 2012.
- Z. Yang, X. Yang, and Z. Xu, “Molecular dynamics simulation of the melting behavior of Pt-Au nanoparticles with core-shell structure,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 13, pp. 4937–4947, 2008.
- I. K. Kang, B. K. Kwon, J. H. Lee, and H. B. Lee, “Immobilization of proteins on poly(methyl methacrylate) films,” Biomaterials, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 787–792, 1993.
- K. M. Kamruzzaman Selim, Y. S. Ha, S. J. Kim et al., “Surface modification of magnetite nanoparticles using lactobionic acid and their interaction with hepatocytes,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 710–716, 2007.
- K. Von Der Mark, J. Park, S. Bauer, and P. Schmuki, “Nanoscale engineering of biomimetic surfaces: cues from the extracellular matrix,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 339, no. 1, pp. 131–153, 2010.
- K. M. Kamruzzaman Selim, Z. C. Xing, H. Guo, and I. K. Kang, “Immobilization of lactobionic acid on the surface of cadmium sulfide nanoparticles and their interaction with hepatocytes,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1945–1953, 2009.
- Y. Zhang, N. Kohler, and M. Zhang, “Surface modification of superparamagnetic magnetite nanoparticles and their intracellular uptake,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1553–1561, 2002.
- K. M. Kamuruzzaman Selim, Z. C. Xing, M. J. Choi, Y. Chang, H. Guo, and I. K. Kang, “Reduced cytotoxicity of Insulin-immobilized CdS quantum dots using PEG as a spacer,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 6, no. 1, p. 528, 2011.
- A. K. Gupta and M. Gupta, “Cytotoxicity suppression and cellular uptake enhancement of surface modified magnetic nanoparticles,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 13, pp. 1565–1573, 2005.
- Z. Shi, K. G. Neoh, E. T. Kang et al., “(Carboxymethyl)chitosan-modified superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for magnetic resonance imaging of stem cells,” Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 328–335, 2009.