- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 319302, 5 pages
Study on Size-Dependent Young’s Modulus of a Silicon Nanobeam by Molecular Dynamics Simulation
Key Laboratory of MEMS of Ministry of Education, Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
Received 26 October 2012; Revised 7 January 2013; Accepted 21 January 2013
Academic Editor: Zhenhui Kang
Copyright © 2013 H. Yu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. T. Yang, C. Callegari, X. L. Feng, K. L. Ekinci, and M. L. Roukes, “Zeptogram-scale nanomechanical mass sensing,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 583–586, 2006.
- Y. T. Yang, C. Callegari, X. L. Feng, and M. L. Roukes, “Surface adsorbate fluctuations and noise in nanoelectromechanical systems,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1753–1759, 2011.
- I. Bargatin, E. B. Myers, J. S. Aldridge et al., “Large-scale integration of nanoelectromechanical systems for gas sensing applications,” Nano Letters, vol. 12, pp. 1269–1274, 2012.
- X. L. Feng, R. He, P. Yang, and M. L. Roukes, “Very high frequency silicon nanowire electromechanical resonators,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1953–1959, 2007.
- N. Liu, F. Giesen, M. Belov et al., “Time-domain control of ultrahigh-frequency nanomechanical systems,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 715–719, 2008.
- L. G. Villanueva, R. B. Karabalin, M. H. Matheny, E. Kenig, M. C. Cross, and M. L. Roukes, “A nanoscale parametric feedback oscillator,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, pp. 5054–5059, 2011.
- E. F. Arkan, D. Sacchetto, I. Yildiz, Y. Leblebici, and B. E. Alaca, “Monolithic integration of Si nanowires with metallic electrodes: NEMS resonator and switchapplications,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 21, Article ID 125018, 9 pages, 2011.
- X. L. Feng, M. H. Matheny, C. A. Zorman, M. Mehregany, and M. L. Roukes, “Low voltage nanoelectromechanical switches based on silicon carbide nanowires,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, pp. 2891–2896, 2010.
- Y. Yang, X. Xia, X. Gan, P. Xu, H. Yu, and X. Li, “Nano-thick resonant cantilevers with a novel specific reaction-induced frequency-increase effect for ultra-sensitive chemical detection,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 20, no. 5, Article ID 055022, 2010.
- A. K. Naik, M. S. Hanay, W. K. Hiebert, X. L. Feng, and M. L. Roukes, “Towards single-molecule nanomechanical mass spectrometry,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 445–450, 2009.
- M. Belov, N. J. Quitoriano, S. Sharma, W. K. Hiebert, T. I. Kamins, and S. Evoy, “Mechanical resonance of clamped silicon nanowires measured by optical interferometry,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 103, Article ID 074304, 7 pages, 2008.
- Y. K. Feng, Y. L. Liu, and B. Wang, “Finite element analysis of resonant properties of silicon nanowires with consideration of surface effects,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 217, pp. 149–155, 2011.
- C. T. Sun and H. Zhang, “Size-dependent elastic moduli of platelike nanomaterials,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 1212–1218, 2003.
- J. G. Guo and Y. P. Zhao, “The size-dependent elastic properties of nanofilms with surface effects,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 98, Article ID 074306, 11 pages, 2005.
- J. Wang, Q. A. Huang, and H. Yu, “Size and temperature dependence of Young’s modulus of a silicon nano-plate,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 41, Article ID 165406, 5 pages, 2008.
- J. H. Zhang, Q. A. Huang, H. Yu, and J. Wang, “The influence of surface effects on size-dependent mechanical properties of silicon nanobeams at finite temperature,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 42, Article ID 045409, 6 pages, 2009.
- R. E. Rudd and J. Q. Broughton, “Atomistic simulation of MEMS resonators through the coupling of length scales,” Journal of Modeling and Simulation of Microsystems, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 1999.
- R. E. Rudd, “Coarse-grained molecular dynamics for computer modeling of nanomechanical systems,” International Journal on Multiscale Computational Engineering, vol. 2, p. 203, 2004.
- R. E. Rudd and B. Lee, “Mechanics of silicon nanowires: size-dependent elasticity from first principles,” Molecular Simulation, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2008.
- S. H. Park, J. S. Kim, J. H. Park, J. S. Lee, Y. K. Choi, and O. M. Kwon, “Molecular dynamics study on size-dependent elastic properties of silicon nanocantilevers,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 492, no. 1-2, pp. 285–289, 2005.
- J. S. Kim, S. H. Park, J. H. Park, and J. S. Lee, “Molecular dynamics simulation of elastic properties of silicon nanocantilevers,” Nanoscale and Microscale Thermophysical Engineering, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 2006.
- H. Yu, W. W. Zhang, S. Y. Lei, L. B. Lu, C. Sun, and Q. A. Huang, “Study on vibration behavior of doubly-clamped silicon nanowires by molecular dynamics,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 342329, 5 pages, 2012.
- W. J. Bottega, Engineering Vibrations, CRC Press; Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2006.
- H. W. Shim, L. G. Zhou, and H. C. Huang, “Nanoplate elasticity under surface reconstruction,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, Article ID 151912, 3 pages, 2005.
- L. G. Zhou and H. Huang, “Are surfaces elastically softer or stiffer?” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 1940–1942, 2004.
- H. Sadeghian, J. F. L. Goosen, A. Bossche, B. J. Thijsse, and F. van Keulen, “Surface reconstruction and elastic behavior of silicon nanobeams: the impact of applied deformation,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 518, no. 12, pp. 3273–3275, 2010.
- R. Q. Zhang, Y. Lifshitz, D. D. D. Ma et al., “Structures and energetics of hydrogen-terminated silicon nanowire surfaces,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 123, no. 14, Article ID 144703, 5 pages, 2005.
- W. Fan, L. F. Li, K. P. Dou, and R. Q. Zhang, “First principles calculations of transport properties in Si nanowires: the role of crystal orientation,” Solid State Communications, vol. 152, pp. 2008–2012, 2012.
- X. Xu and P. Servati, “Facet-dependent electronic properties of hexagonal silicon nanowires under progressive hydroxylation and surface reconstruction,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1999–2004, 2009.