- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 321261, 11 pages
Feasibility Assessment of Thermal Management System for Green Power Sources Using Nanofluid
Department of Industrial Education, National Taiwan Normal University, No. 162, Sec. 1, He-ping East Road, Section 1, Da-an District, Taipei City 10610, Taiwan
Received 20 July 2013; Accepted 2 August 2013
Academic Editor: Yanbao Zhao
Copyright © 2013 Yi-Hsuan Hung et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Baker, “New technology and possible advances in energy storage,” Energy Policy, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 4368–4373, 2008.
- K. T. Chau and Y. S. Wong, “Hybridization of energy sources in electric vehicles,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1059–1069, 2001.
- T. Markel, A. Brooker, T. Hendricks et al., “ADVISOR: a systems analysis tool for advanced vehicle modeling,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 255–266, 2002.
- A. Bejan, G. Tsatsaronis, and M. J. Moran, Thermal Design and Optimizations, John Wiley & Sons, Ontario, Canada, 1996.
- Y. Zhang, M. Ouyang, Q. Lu, J. Luo, and X. Li, “A model predicting performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cell stack thermal systems,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 501–513, 2004.
- X. Yu, B. Zhou, and A. Sobiesiak, “Water and thermal management for Ballard PEM fuel cell stack,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 147, no. 1-2, pp. 184–195, 2005.
- J. Nolan and J. Kolodziej, “Modeling of an automotive fuel cell thermal system,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 195, no. 15, pp. 4743–4752, 2010.
- G. Vasu and A. K. Tangirala, “Control-orientated thermal model for proton-exchange membrane fuel cell systems,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 98–108, 2008.
- P. Hu, G. Cao, X. Zhu, and M. Hu, “Coolant circuit modeling and temperature fuzzy control of proton exchange membrane fuel cells,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 35, no. 17, pp. 9110–9123, 2010.
- D. Andrew and L. James, Fuel Cell Explained, SAE International, Troy, Mich, USA; John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- M. S. Wu, K. H. Liu, Y. Y. Wang, and C. C. Wan, “Heat dissipation design for lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 160–166, 2002.
- S. C. Chen, C. C. Wan, and Y. Y. Wang, “Thermal analysis of lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 111–124, 2005.
- N. Sato, “Thermal behavior analysis of lithium-ion batteries for electric and hybrid vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 99, no. 1-2, pp. 70–77, 2001.
- A. A. Pesaran, “Battery thermal management in EVs and HEVs: issues and solutions,” in Proceedings of the Advanced Automotive Battery Conference, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, February 2001.
- M. Al Sakka, H. Gualous, J. Van Mierlo, and H. Culcu, “Thermal modeling and heat management of supercapacitor modules for vehicle applications,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 194, no. 2, pp. 581–587, 2009.
- J. A. Eastman, S. U. S. Choi, S. Li, W. Yu, and L. J. Thompson, “Anomalously increased effective thermal conductivities of ethylene glycol-based nanofluids containing copper nanoparticles,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 718–720, 2001.
- H. Xie, J. Wang, T. Xi, Y. Liu, F. Ai, and Q. Wu, “Thermal conductivity enhancement of suspensions containing nanosized alumina particles,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 4568–4572, 2002.
- S. K. Das, N. Putra, P. Thiesen, and W. Roetzel, “Temperature dependence of thermal conductivity enhancement for nanofluids,” Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 567–574, 2003.
- M. Chandrasekar, S. Suresh, and A. Chandra Bose, “Experimental investigations and theoretical determination of thermal conductivity and viscosity of Al2O3/water nanofluid,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 210–216, 2010.
- C. S. Jwo, L. Y. Jeng, T. P. Teng, and C. C. Chen, “Performance of overall heat transfer in multi-channel heat exchanger by alumina nanofluid,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 504, supplement 1, pp. S385–S388, 2010.
- T. P. Teng, Y. H. Hung, T. C. Teng, and J. H. Chen, “Performance evaluation on an air-cooled heat exchanger for alumina nanofluid under laminar flow,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 6, no. 488, pp. 1–11, 2011.
- P. Keblinski, S. R. Phillpot, S. U. S. Choi, and J. A. Eastman, “Mechanisms of heat flow in suspensions of nano-sized particles (nanofluids),” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 855–863, 2001.
- J. Buongiorno, D. C. Venerus, N. Prabhat, et al., “A benchmark study on the thermal conductivity of nanofluids,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 106, no. 9, Article ID 094312, 14 pages, 2009.
- S. Zeinali Heris, M. Nasr Esfahany, and S. G. Etemad, “Experimental investigation of convective heat transfer of Al2O3/water nanofluid in circular tube,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 203–210, 2007.
- W. Williams, J. Buogiorno, and L. Hu, “Experimental investigation of turbulent convective heat transfer and pressure loss of alumina/water and zirconia/water nanoparticle colloids (nanofluids) in horizontal tubes,” Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 130, no. 4, Article ID 042412, 7 pages, 2008.
- K. V. Sharma, L. S. Sundar, and P. K. Sarma, “Estimation of heat transfer coefficient and friction factor in the transition flow with low volume concentration of Al2O3 nanofluid flowing in a circular tube and with twisted tape insert,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 503–507, 2009.
- M. Chandrasekar, S. Suresh, and A. Chandra Bose, “Experimental studies on heat transfer and friction factor characteristics of Al2O3/water nanofluid in a circular pipe under laminar flow with wire coil inserts,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 122–130, 2010.
- S. Suresh, M. Chandrasekar, and S. Chandra Sekhar, “Experimental studies on heat transfer and friction factor characteristics of CuO/water nanofluid under turbulent flow in a helically dimpled tube,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 542–549, 2011.
- R. Y. Chein and J. Chuang, “Experimental microchannel heat sink performance studies using nanofluids,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 57–66, 2007.
- M. N. Pantzali, A. G. Kanaris, K. D. Antoniadis, A. A. Mouza, and S. V. Paras, “Effect of nanofluids on the performance of a miniature plate heat exchanger with modulated surface,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 691–699, 2009.
- A. Zamzamian, S. N. Oskouie, A. Doosthoseini, A. Joneidi, and M. Pazouki, “Experimental investigation of forced convective heat transfer coefficient in nanofluids of Al2O3/EG and CuO/EG in a double pipe and plate heat exchangers under turbulent flow,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 495–502, 2011.
- D. P. Kulkarni, R. S. Vajjha, D. K. Das, and D. Oliva, “Application of aluminum oxide nanofluids in diesel electric generator as jacket water coolant,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 28, no. 14-15, pp. 1774–1781, 2008.
- A. G. A. Nnanna, W. Rutherford, W. Elomar, and B. Sankowski, “Assessment of thermoelectric module with nanofluid heat exchanger,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 29, no. 2-3, pp. 491–500, 2009.
- C. J. Ho, L. C. Wei, and Z. W. Li, “An experimental investigation of forced convective cooling performance of a microchannel heat sink with Al2O3/water nanofluid,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 30, no. 2-3, pp. 96–103, 2010.
- B. Farajollahi, S. G. Etemad, and M. Hojjat, “Heat transfer of nanofluids in a shell and tube heat exchanger,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 53, no. 1–3, pp. 12–17, 2010.
- Y. H. Hung, T. P. Teng, T. C. Teng, and J. H. Chen, “Assessment of heat dissipation performance for nanofluid,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 132–140, 2012.
- J. Y. Jung, H. S. Oh, and H. Y. Kwak, “Forced convective heat transfer of nanofluids in microchannels,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 52, no. 1-2, pp. 466–472, 2009.
- W. Duangthongsuk and S. Wongwises, “Heat transfer enhancement and pressure drop characteristics of TiO2-water nanofluid in a double-tube counter flow heat exchanger,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 52, no. 7-8, pp. 2059–2067, 2009.
- E. Firouzfar, M. Soltanieh, S. H. Noie, and S. H. Saidi, “Energy saving in HVAC systems using nanofluid,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 31, no. 8-9, pp. 1543–1545, 2011.
- M. Saeedinia, M. A. Akhavan-Behabadi, and M. Nasr, “Experimental study on heat transfer and pressure drop of nanofluid flow in a horizontal coiled wire inserted tube under constant heat flux,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 36, pp. 158–168, 2012.
- S. D. Pandey and V. K. Nema, “Experimental analysis of heat transfer and friction factor of nanofluid as a coolant in a corrugated plate heat exchanger,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 38, pp. 248–256, 2012.
- B. C. Pak and Y. I. Cho, “Hydrodynamic and heat transfer study of dispersed fluids with submicron metallic oxide particles,” Experimental Heat Transfer, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 151–170, 1998.
- Z. H. Liu and Q. Z. Zhu, “Application of aqueous nanofluids in a horizontal mesh heat pipe,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 292–300, 2011.
- H. C. Brinkman, “The viscosity of concentrated suspensions and solutions,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 20, no. 4, p. 571, 1952.
- T. X. Phuoc, M. Massoudi, and R. Chen, “Viscosity and thermal conductivity of nanofluids containing multi-walled carbon nanotubes stabilized by chitosan,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 12–18, 2011.