- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 325827, 8 pages
The Geometry Variation of As-Grown Carbon Coils with Ni Layer Thickness and Hydrogen Plasma Pretreatment
Department of Engineering in Energy and Applied Chemistry, Silla University, Busan 617-736, Republic of Korea
Received 6 February 2013; Accepted 11 March 2013
Academic Editor: Amir Kajbafvala
Copyright © 2013 Young-Chul Jeon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. R. Davis, R. J. Slawson, and G. R. Rigby, “An unusual form of carbon,” Nature, vol. 171, no. 4356, p. 756, 1953.
- S. Ihara and S. Itoh, “Helically coiled and toroidal cage forms of graphitic carbon,” Carbon, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 931–939, 1995.
- S. Amelinckx, X. B. Zhang, D. Bernaerts, X. F. Zhang, V. Ivanov, and J. B. Nagy, “A formation mechanism for catalytically grown helix-shaped graphite nanotubes,” Science, vol. 265, no. 5172, pp. 635–637, 1994.
- S. Hokushin, L. Pan, Y. Konishi, H. Tanaka, and Y. Nakayama, “Field emission properties and structural changes of a stand-alone carbon nanocoil,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 46, no. 23, pp. L565–L567, 2007.
- K. Hernadi, L. Thiên-Nga, and L. Forró, “Growth and microstructure of catalytically produced coiled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 50, pp. 12464–12468, 2001.
- K. Akagi, R. Tamura, M. Tsukada, S. Itoh, and S. Ihara, “Electronic structure of helically coiled cage of graphitic carbon,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 74, no. 12, pp. 2307–2310, 1995.
- A. K. Schaper, H. Hou, A. Greiner, and F. Phillipp, “The role of iron carbide in multiwalled carbon nanotube growth,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 222, no. 1, pp. 250–254, 2004.
- Z. Yu, D. Chen, B. Tøtdal, and A. Holmen, “Effect of support and reactant on the yield and structure of carbon growth by chemical vapor deposition,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 13, pp. 6096–6102, 2005.
- W. Wang, K. Yang, J. Gaillard, P. R. Bandaru, and A. M. Rao, “Rational synthesis of helically coiled carbon nanowires and nanotubes through the use of tin and indium catalysts,” Advanced Materials, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 179–182, 2008.
- Y.-C. Jeon, J.-H. Eum, S.-H. Kim, J.-C. Park, and S. I. Ahn, “Effect of the on/off cycling modulation time ratio of C2H2/SF6 flows on the formation of geometrically controlled carbon coils,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 908961, 6 pages, 2012.
- H. Hou, Z. Jun, F. Weller, and A. Greiner, “Large-scale synthesis and characterization of helically coiled carbon nanotubes by use of Fe(CO)5 as floating catalyst precursor,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 16, pp. 3170–3175, 2003.
- W. In-Hwang, H. Yanagida, and S. Motojima, “Vapor growth of carbon micro-coils by the Ni catalyzed pyrolysis of acetylene using rotating substrate,” Materials Letters, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 11–14, 2000.
- S. Motojima, S. Asakura, T. Kasemura, S. Takeuchi, and H. Iwanaga, “Catalytic effects of metal carbides, oxides and Ni single crystal on the vapor growth of micro-coiled carbon fibers,” Carbon, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 289–296, 1996.
- N. Tang, J. Wen, Y. Zhang, F. Liu, K. Lin, and Y. Du, “Helical carbon nanotubes: catalytic particle size-dependent growth and magnetic properties,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 241–250, 2010.
- Q. Zhang, L. Yu, and Z. Cui, “Effects of the size of nano-copper catalysts and reaction temperature on the morphology of carbon fibers,” Materials Research Bulletin, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 735–742, 2008.
- S. Hokushin, L. Pan, and Y. Nakayama, “Diameter control of carbon nanocoils by the catalyst of organic metals,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 5383–5385, 2007.
- P. R. Bandaru, C. Daraio, K. Yang, and A. M. Rao, “A plausible mechanism for the evolution of helical forms in nanostructure growth,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 101, no. 9, Article ID 094307, 4 pages, 2007.
- W.-C. Liu, H.-K. Lin, Y.-L. Chen, C.-Y. Lee, and H.-T. Chiu, “Growth of carbon nanocoils from K and Ag cooperative bicatalyst assisted thermal decomposition of acetylene,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 4149–4157, 2010.
- T.-Y. Tsou, C.-Y. Lee, and H.-T. Chiu, “K and Au bicatalyst assisted growth of Carbon nanocoils from acetylene: effect of deposition parameters on field emission properties,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 6505–6511, 2012.
- X. Qi, C. Qin, W. Zhong, C. Au, X. Ye, and Y. Du, “Large-scale synthesis of carbon nanomaterials by catalytic chemical vapor deposition: a review of the effects of synthesis parameters and magnetic properties,” Materials, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 4142–4174, 2010.
- A. C. Dupuis, “The catalyst in the CCVD of carbon nanotubes-a review,” Progress in Materials Science, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 929–961, 2005.
- S. Park, S.-H. Kim, and T.-G. Kim, “Effect of Si and SiO2 substrates on the geometries of as-grown carbon coils,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 389248, 8 pages, 2012.
- H. Bi, K. C. Kou, K. Ostrikov, L. K. Yan, and J. Q. Zhang, “Unconventional Ni-P alloy-catalyzed CVD of carbon coil-like micro- and nano-structures,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 116, pp. 442–448, 2009.
- J.-H. Eum, S.-H. Kim, S. S. Yi, and K. Jang, “Large-scale synthesis of the controlled-geometry carbon coils by the manipulation of the SF6 gas flow injection time,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 4397–4402, 2012.
- M. Kawaguchi, K. Nozaki, S. Motojima, and H. Iwanaga, “A growth mechanism of regularly coiled carbon fibers through acetylene pyrolysis,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 118, no. 3-4, pp. 309–313, 1992.
- J. Robertson, “Diamond-like amorphous carbon,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 37, no. 4–6, pp. 129–281, 2002.
- K. Shibagaki, S. Motojima, Y. Umemoto, and Y. Nishitani, “Outermost surface microstructure of as-grown, heat-treated and partially oxidized carbon microcoils,” Carbon, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1337–1342, 2001.
- F. Tuinstra and J. L. Koenig, “Raman spectrum of graphite,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 1126–1130, 1970.
- S. M. Mominuzzaman, K. M. Krishna, T. Soga, T. Jimbo, and M. Umeno, “Raman spectra of ion beam sputtered amorphous carbon thin films deposited from camphoric carbon,” Carbon, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 127–131, 2000.
- H. Darmstadt, L. Sümmchen, J.-M. Ting, U. Roland, S. Kaliaguine, and C. Roy, “Effects of surface treatment on the bulk chemistry and structure of vapor grown carbon fibers,” Carbon, vol. 35, no. 10-11, pp. 1581–1585, 1997.