- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 327597, 10 pages
Enhanced Strain-Dependent Electrical Resistance of Polyurethane Composites with Embedded Oxidized Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube Networks
1Centre of Polymer Systems, University Institute, Tomas Bata University, Nad Ovcirnou 3685, 760 01 Zlin, Czech Republic
2Balikesir University, Faculty of Necatibey Education, Department of Secondary Science and Mathematics Education, 10100 Balikesir, Turkey
3Tomas Bata University, Faculty of Technology, Polymer Centre, TGM 275, 760 01 Zlin, Czech Republic
4Institute of Hydrodynamics, Academy of Sciences, Pod Patankou 30/5, 166 12 Prague 6, Czech Republic
Received 15 March 2013; Accepted 18 August 2013
Academic Editor: Sulin Zhang
Copyright © 2013 R. Benlikaya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Barick and D. K. Tripathy, “Preparation, characterization and properties of acid functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotube reinforced thermoplastic polyurethane nanocomposites,” Materials Science and Engineering B, vol. 176, no. 18, pp. 1435–1447, 2011.
- A. K. Barick and D. K. Tripathy, “Effect of nanofiber on material properties of vapor-grown carbon nanofiber reinforced thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU/CNF) nanocomposites prepared by melt compounding,” Composites Part A, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1471–1482, 2010.
- Q. Fan, Z. Qin, T. Villmow et al., “Vapor sensing properties of thermoplastic polyurethane multifilament covered with carbon nanotube networks,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 63–70, 2011.
- P. Slobodian, P. Riha, and P. Saha, “A highly-deformable composite composed of an entangled network of electrically-conductive carbon-nanotubes embedded in elastic polyurethane,” Carbon, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 3446–3453, 2012.
- A. M. F. Lima, V. G. de Castro, R. S. Borges, and G. G. Silva, “Electrical conductivity and thermal properties of functionalized carbon nanotubes/polyurethane composites,” Polímeros, vol. 22, pp. 117–124, 2012.
- D. M. Crawford, R. G. Bass, and T. W. Haas, “Strain effects on thermal transitions and mechanical properties of thermoplastic polyurethane elastomers,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 323, no. 1-2, pp. 53–63, 1998.
- R. Olejnik, P. Slobodian, P. Riha, and P. Saha, “An electrically-conductive and organic solvent vapors detecting composite composed of an entangled network of carbon nanotubes embedded in polystyrene,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 365062, 7 pages, 2012.
- M. D. Rein, O. Breuer, and H. D. Wagner, “Sensors and sensitivity: carbon nanotube buckypaper films as strain sensing devices,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 373–381, 2011.
- I. Kang, M. J. Schulz, J. H. Kim, V. Shanov, and D. Shi, “A carbon nanotube strain sensor for structural health monitoring,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 737–748, 2006.
- Q. Jiang, Y. Li, J. Xie, J. Sun, D. Hui, and Y. Qiu, “Plasma functionalization of bucky paper and its composite with phenylethynyl-terminated polyimide,” Composites Part B, vol. 45, pp. 1275–1281, 2013.
- P. Pötschke, N. P. Zschoerper, B. P. Moller, and U. Vohrer, “Plasma functionalization of multiwalled carbon nanotube bucky papers and the effect on properties of melt-mixed composites with polycarbonate,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 30, no. 21, pp. 1828–1833, 2009.
- Z. Špitalský, C. A. Krontiras, S. N. Georga, and C. Galiotis, “Effect of oxidation treatment of multiwalled carbon nanotubes on the mechanical and electrical properties of their epoxy composites,” Composites Part A, vol. 40, no. 6-7, pp. 778–783, 2009.
- M. D. Rein, H. Bar, O. Breuer, R. Yoseph, and H. D. Wagner, “Electromechanical properties of carbon nanotube buckypapers,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM-17 '09), Edinburgh, UK, July 2009.
- P. Slobodian, P. Riha, A. Lengalova, P. Svoboda, and P. Saha, “Multi-wall carbon nanotube networks as potential resistive gas sensors for organic vapor detection,” Carbon, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 2499–2507, 2011.
- P. A. Jansson, Ed., Deconvolution of Spectra and Images, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1997.
- F. A. Abuilaiwi, T. Laoui, M. Al-Harthi, and M. A. Atieh, “Modification and functionalization of multiwalled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) via fischer esterification,” Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 37–48, 2010.
- J. Zhang, H. Zou, Q. Qing et al., “Effect of chemical oxidation on the structure of single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 16, pp. 3712–3718, 2003.
- P. E. Fanning and M. A. Vannice, “A DRIFTS study of the formation of surface groups on carbon by oxidation,” Carbon, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 721–730, 1993.
- T. G. Ros, A. J. Van Dillen, J. W. Geus, and D. C. Koningsberger, “Surface oxidation of carbon nanofibres,” Chemistry, vol. 8, pp. 1151–1162, 2002.
- C. Moreno-Castilla, M. V. López-Ramón, and F. Carrasco-Marín, “Changes in surface chemistry of activated carbons by wet oxidation,” Carbon, vol. 38, no. 14, pp. 1995–2001, 2000.
- U. J. Kim, C. A. Furtado, X. Liu, G. Chen, and P. C. Eklund, “Raman and IR spectroscopy of chemically processed single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 44, pp. 15437–15445, 2005.
- Y. Liang, H. Zhang, B. Yi, Z. Zhang, and Z. Tan, “Preparation and characterization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes supported PtRu catalysts for proton exchange membrane fuel cells,” Carbon, vol. 43, no. 15, pp. 3144–3152, 2005.
- K. A. Wepasnick, B. A. Smith, K. E. Schrote, H. K. Wilson, S. R. Diegelmann, and D. H. Fairbrother, “Surface and structural characterization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes following different oxidative treatments,” Carbon, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 24–36, 2011.
- J. Chen, Q. Chen, and Q. Ma, “Influence of surface functionalization via chemical oxidation on the properties of carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 370, no. 1, pp. 32–38, 2012.
- H.-T. Fang, C.-G. Liu, C. Liu, F. Li, M. Liu, and H.-M. Cheng, “Purification of single-wall carbon nanotubes by electrochemical oxidation,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 16, no. 26, pp. 5744–5750, 2004.
- P. Slobodian, R. Olejnik, P. Riha, and P. Saha, “Effect of functionalized nanotubes with HNO3 on electrical sensory properties of carbon nanotubes/polyurethane composite under elongation,” in Mathematical Methods and Techniques in Engineering and Environmental Science, M. Demiralp, Z. Bojkovic, and A. Repanovici, Eds., pp. 312–316, WSEAS Press, 2011.
- T. W. Tombler, C. Zhou, L. Alexseyev et al., “Reversible electromechanical characteristics of carbon nanotubes under local-probe manipulation,” Nature, vol. 405, no. 6788, pp. 769–772, 2000.
- W.-L. Wang, K.-J. Liao, Y. Li, and Y.-T. Wang, “Piezoresistive effect of doped carbon nanotube/cellulose films,” Chinese Physics Letters, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1544–1547, 2003.