- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 341897, 9 pages
Ultrasonication Technique: A Method for Dispersing Nanoclay in Wood Adhesives
Département des Sciences du Bois et de la Forêt, Faculté de Foresterie, de Géographie et de Géomatique, Université Laval,
2425 Rue de la Terrasse, QC, Canada G1V 0A6
Received 7 May 2013; Revised 19 July 2013; Accepted 1 August 2013
Academic Editor: Gaurav Mago
Copyright © 2013 Alireza Kaboorani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Zhou, “Research on the improvement of water resistance of polyvinyl acetate emulsion,” Nianjie, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 11–12, 1991.
- Y. Cai, “Synthesis of melamine-formaldehyde resin modified poly (VAc-MMA) emulsion,” China Adhesives, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 43–45, 1997.
- Y. Chen, “Researches of wood adhesives with high strength, water and creep resistance,” Nianjie, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 25–27, 1996.
- G. Lu, “Improvement of polyvinyl acetate emulsions,” Huagong Shikan, vol. 10, no. 6, p. 17, 1996.
- J. Comyn, Adhesion Science, The Royal Society of Chemistry, London, UK, 1997.
- J. Wang, “Study on improving properties of polyvinyl acetate emulsion,” Zhanjie, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 16–19, 1999.
- L. Qiao, A. J. Easteal, C. J. Bolt, P. K. Coveny, and R. A. Franich, “Improvement of the water resistance of poly(vinyl acetate) emulsion wood adhesive,” Pigment and Resin Technology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 152–158, 2000.
- M. Huang, S. Kuo, H. Wu, F. Chang, and S. Fang, “Miscibility and hydrogen bonding in blends of poly(vinyl acetate) with phenolic resin,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 2479–2487, 2002.
- F. López-Suevos and C. E. Frazier, “Fracture cleavage analysis of PVAc latex adhesives: influence of phenolic additives,” Holzforschung, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 313–317, 2006.
- S. Kim and H. Kim, “Thermal stability and viscoelastic properties of MF/PVAc hybrid resins on the adhesion for engineered flooring in under heating system; ONDOL,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 444, no. 2, pp. 134–140, 2006.
- S. Kim and H. Kim, “Effect of addition of polyvinyl acetate to melamine-formaldehyde resin on the adhesion and formaldehyde emission in engineered flooring,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 456–461, 2005.
- B. Wetzel, F. Haupert, and M. Q. Zhang, “Epoxy nanocomposites with high mechanical and tribological performance,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 14, pp. 2055–2067, 2003.
- J. Cho, M. S. Joshi, and C. T. Sun, “Effect of inclusion size on mechanical properties of polymeric composites with micro and nano particles,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, no. 13, pp. 1941–1952, 2006.
- O. Jacobs, W. Xu, B. Schädel, and W. Wu, “Wear behaviour of carbon nanotube reinforced epoxy resin composites,” Tribology Letters, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 65–75, 2006.
- X. L. Ji, J. E. Hampsey, Q. Y. Hu, J. B. He, Z. Z. Yang, and Y. F. Lu, “Mesoporous silica-reinforced polymer nanocomposites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 19, pp. 3656–3662, 2003.
- Q. Zhang and L. A. Archer, “Optical polarimetry and mechanical rheometry of poly(ethylene oxide)—silica dispersions,” Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1928–1936, 2004.
- B. J. Ash, R. W. Siegel, and L. S. Schadler, “Mechanical behavior of alumina/poly(methyl methacrylate) nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1358–1369, 2004.
- A. Pegoretti, J. Kolarik, C. Peroni, and C. Migliaresi, “Recycled poly(ethylene terephthalate)/layered silicate nanocomposites: morphology and tensile mechanical properties,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 2751–2759, 2004.
- K. M. Lee and C. D. Han, “Linear dynamic viscoelastic properties of functionalized block copolymer/organoclay nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 804–815, 2003.
- J. H. Chang, B. S. Seo, and D. H. Hwang, “An exfoliation of organoclay in thermotropic liquid crystalline polyester nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 2969–2974, 2002.
- J. Ma, P. Xiang, Y. W. Mai, and L. Q. Zhang, “A novel approach to high performance elastomer by using clay,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 25, no. 19, pp. 1692–1696, 2004.
- T. D. Fornes and D. R. Paul, “Structure and properties of nanocomposites based on nylon-11 and -12 compared with those based on nylon-6,” Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 20, pp. 7698–7709, 2004.
- F. Bensadoun, N. Kchit, C. Billotte, F. Trochu, and E. Ruiz, “A comparative study of dispersion techniques for nanocomposite made with nanoclays and an unsaturated polyester resin,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2011, Article ID 406087, 12 pages, 2011.
- J. W. Gilman, T. Kashiwagi, and J. D. Lichtenhan, “Nanocomposites: a revolutionary new flame retardant approach,” SAMPE Journal, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 40–46, 1997.
- B. M. Le, C. Wilkie, S. Bourbigot, and S. Duquesne, Fire Retardancy of Polymers: The Use of Micro- and Nano-Sized Mineral Fillers, R.S.C., Cambridge, UK, 2004.
- S. D. Burnside and E. P. Giannelis, “Synthesis and properties of new poly(dimethylsiloxane) nanocomposites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 1597–1600, 1995.
- S. S. Park, N. Bernet, S. de la Roche, and H. T. Hahn, “Processing of iron oxide-epoxy vinyl ester nanocomposites,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 465–476, 2003.
- R. D. West and V. M. Malhotra, “Rupture of nanoparticle agglomerates and formulation of Al2O3-epoxy nanocomposites using ultrasonic cavitation approach: effects on the structural and mechanical properties,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 426–430, 2006.
- H. Mahfuz, M. F. Uddin, V. K. Rangari, M. C. Saha, S. Zainuddin, and S. Jeelani, “High strain rate response of sandwich composites with nanophased cores,” Applied Composite Materials, vol. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 193–211, 2005.
- H. Xia and Q. Wang, “Preparation of conductive polyaniline/nanosilica particle composites through ultrasonic irradiation,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 87, no. 11, pp. 1811–1817, 2003.
- A. Yasmin, J. J. Luo, and I. M. Daniel, “Processing of expanded graphite reinforced polymer nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1182–1189, 2006.
- B. Bittmann, F. Haupert, and A. K. Schlarb, “Ultrasonic dispersion of inorganic nanoparticles in epoxy resin,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 622–628, 2009.
- B. Bittmann, Ultraschalldispergierung von Anorganischen Nanopartikeln in Epoxidharz und Charakterisierung der Resultierenden Werkstoffe [Ph.D. thesis], Institut für Verbundwerkstoffe, Kaiserslautern, Germany, 2009.
- A. Kaboorani and B. Riedl, “Effects of adding nano-clay on performance of polyvinyl acetate (PVA) as a wood adhesive,” Composites A, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1031–1039, 2011.
- E. P. Giannelis, “Polymer layered silicate nanocomposites,” Advanced Materials, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 1996.
- M. Alexandre and P. Dubois, “Polymer-layered silicate nanocomposites: preparation, properties and uses of a new class of materials,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–63, 2000.
- T. J. Pinnavaia and G. W. Beall, Polymer-Clay Nanocomposites, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- S. S. Ray and M. Okamoto, “Polymer/layered silicate nanocomposites: a review from preparation to processing,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1539–1641, 2003.
- H. Fischer, “Polymer nanocomposites: from fundamental research to specific applications,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 23, no. 6-8, pp. 763–772, 2003.
- L. Nielsen, “Models for the permeability of filled polymer systems,” Journal of Macromolecular Science A, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 929–942, 1967.
- R. K. Bharadwaj, “Modeling the barrier properties of polymer-layered silicate nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 34, no. 26, pp. 9189–9192, 2001.
- W. R. Falla, M. Mulski, and E. L. Cussler, “Estimating diffusion through flake-filled membranes,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 129–138, 1996.
- N. A. Plate and Y. P. Yampol'skii, “Relationship between structure and transport properties for high free volume polymeric materials,” in Polymeric Gas Separation Membranes, D. R. Paul and Y. P. Yampol'skii, Eds., chapter 5, pp. 155–207, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1994.
- A. Thran, G. Kroll, and F. Faupel, “Correlation between fractional free volume and diffusivity of gas molecules in glassy polymers,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 37, no. 23, pp. 3344–3358, 1999.
- R. A. Pethrick, “Positron annihilation—a probe for nanoscale voids and free volume?” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1–47, 1997.
- Y. Q. Wang, Y. P. Wu, H. F. Zhang, L. Q. Zhang, B. Wang, and Z. F. Wang, “Free volume of montmorillonite/styrene-butadiene rubber nanocomposites estimated by positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 25, no. 23, pp. 1973–1978, 2004.
- O. Becker, Y. B. Cheng, R. J. Varley, and G. P. Simon, “Layered silicate nanocomposites based on various high-functionality epoxy resins: the influence of cure temperature on morphology, mechanical properties, and free volume,” Macromolecules, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1616–1625, 2003.
- P. Winberg, M. Eldrup, N. J. Pedersen, M. A. van Es, and F. H. J. Maurer, “Free volume sizes in intercalated polyamide 6/clay nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 19, pp. 8239–8249, 2005.
- A. Laachachi, E. Leroy, M. Cochez, M. Ferriol, and J. M. L. Cuesta, “Use of oxide nanoparticles and organoclays to improve thermal stability and fire retardancy of poly(methyl methacrylate),” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 344–352, 2005.
- F. Yang and G. L. Nelson, “Polymer/silica nanocomposites prepared via extrusion,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 320–326, 2006.
- B. N. Dudkin, G. G. Zainullin, P. V. Krivoshapkin, E. F. Krivoshapkina, and M. A. Ryazanov, “Influence of nanoparticles and nanofibers of aluminum oxide on the properties of epoxy composites,” Glass Physics and Chemistry, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 187–191, 2008.
- T. G. Macia-Agullo, J. C. Fernindez-Garcia, A. Torro-Palau, A. C. Orgiles-Barcelo, and J. M. Martin-Martinez, “Addition of silica to polyurethane adhesives,” Journal of Adhesives, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 31–53, 1992.
- T. V. González, C. G. Salazar, J. R. de la Rosa, and V. González, “Nylon 6/organoclay nanocomposites by extrusion,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 2923–2933, 2008.
- M. Mirzataheri, M. Atai, and A. R. Mahdavian, “Physical and mechanical properties of nanocomposite barrier film containing encapsulated nanoclay,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 3284–3291, 2010.
- C. Zilg, R. Mülhaupt, and J. Finter, “Morphology and toughness/stiffness balance of nanocomposites based upon anhydride-cured epoxy resins and layered silicates,” Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, vol. 200, no. 3, pp. 661–670, 1999.
- A. Ranade, N. A. D'Souza, and B. Gnade, “Exfoliated and intercalated polyamide-imide nanocomposites with montmorillonite,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 13, pp. 3759–3766, 2002.
- X. Fu and S. Qutubuddin, “Polymer-clay nanocomposites: exfoliation of organophilic montmorillonite nanolayers in polystyrene,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 807–813, 2001.