- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 356259, 9 pages
A Comparative Study of Three Different Chemical Vapor Deposition Techniques of Carbon Nanotube Growth on Diamond Films
1Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), Wright-Patterson, Air Force Base, OH 45433, USA
2Wright State University, Dayton, OH 45420, USA
3Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD 20783, USA
4Army Research Office, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
5University of Dayton Research Institute (UDRI), Dayton, OH 45469, USA
Received 28 November 2012; Accepted 17 February 2013
Academic Editor: Lijun Ji
Copyright © 2013 Betty T. Quinton et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Meyyappan, Carbon Nanotubes: Science and Applications, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2004.
- S. Iijima, “Helical microtubules of graphitic carbon,” Nature, vol. 354, no. 6348, pp. 56–58, 1991.
- R. Saito, M. Fujita, G. Dresselhaus, and M. S. Dresselhaus, “Electronic structure of chiral graphene tubules,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 60, no. 18, pp. 2204–2206, 1992.
- P. Calvert, “Strength in disunity,” Nature, vol. 357, no. 6377, pp. 365–366, 1992.
- N. V. Novikov and S. N. Dub, “Hardness and fracture toughness of CVD diamond film,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 1026–1030, 1996.
- S. V. Kidalov and F. M. Shakhov, “Thermal conductivity of diamond composites,” Materials, vol. 2, pp. 2467–2495, 2009.
- C. J. Lee, S. C. Lyu, Y. R. Cho, J. H. Lee, and K. I. Cho, “Diameter-controlled growth of carbon nanotubes using thermal chemical vapor deposition,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 341, no. 3-4, pp. 245–249, 2001.
- E. T. Thostenson, Z. Ren, and T. W. Chou, “Advances in the science and technology of carbon nanotubes and their composites: a review,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 13, pp. 1899–1912, 2001.
- N. Tumilty, L. Kasharina, T. Prokhoda, B. Sinelnikov, and R. B. Jackman, “Synthesis of carbon nanotubes on single crystal diamond,” Carbon, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 3027–3032, 2010.
- C. Varanasi, J. Petry, L. Brunke et al., “Growth of high-quality carbon nanotubes on free-standing diamond substrates,” Carbon, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 2442–2446, 2010.
- D. Takagi, Y. Kobayashi, and Y. Homma, “Carbon nanotube growth from diamond,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 131, no. 20, pp. 6922–6923, 2009.
- Y. Li, W. Kim, Y. Zhang, M. Rolandi, D. Wang, and H. Dai, “Growth of single-walled carbon nanotubes from discrete catalytic nanoparticles of various sizes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 46, pp. 11424–11431, 2001.
- S. Helveg, C. López-Cartes, J. Sehested et al., “Atomic-scale imaging of carbon nanofibre growth,” Nature, vol. 427, no. 6973, pp. 426–429, 2004.
- R. T. K. Baker, M. A. Barber, P. S. Harris, F. S. Feates, and R. J. Waite, “Nucleation and growth of carbon deposits from the nickel catalyzed decomposition of acetylene,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 1972.
- C. T. Wirth, S. Hofmann, and J. Robertson, “State of the catalyst during carbon nanotube growth,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 18, pp. 940–945, 2009.
- J. Y. Raty, F. Gygi, and G. Galli, “Growth of carbon nanotubes on metal nanoparticles: a microscopic mechanism from ab initio molecular dynamics simulations,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 9, Article ID 096103, 4 pages, 2005.
- S. Hofmann, G. Csányi, A. Ferrari, M. Payne, and J. Robertson, “Surface diffusion: the low activation energy path for nanotube growth,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, Article ID 036101, 4 pages, 2005.
- K. Koziol, B. O. Boskovic, and N. Yahya, Carbon and Oxide Nanostructures: Synthesis, Characterisation and Applications, Henry Dickens, Columbia, SC, USA, 2011.
- Y. C. Choi, D. J. Bae, Y. H. Lee et al., “Growth of carbon nanotubes by microwave plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition at low temperature,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1864–1868, 2000.
- Teo, B. K. Kenneth, C. Singh, M. Chhowalla, and W. Milne, Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2003.
- A. J. S. Fernandes, M. Pinto, M. A. Neto, F. J. Oliveira, R. F. Silva, and F. M. Costa, “Nano carbon hybrids from the simultaneous synthesis of CNT/NCD by MPCVD,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 18, no. 2-3, pp. 160–163, 2009.
- A. Cao, P. M. Ajayan, G. Ramanath, R. Baskaran, and K. Turner, “Silicon oxide thickness-dependent growth of carbon nanotubes,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 109–111, 2004.
- S. M. Mukhopadhyay, A. Karumuri, and I. T. Barney, “Hierarchical nanostructures by nanotube grafting on porous cellular surfaces,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 42, no. 19, Article ID 195503, 2009.
- S. M. Mukhopadhyay, P. Joshi, and R. V. Pulikollu, “Thin films for coating nanomaterials,” Tsinghua Science & Technology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 709–717, 2005.
- J. L. Lauer, Handbook of Raman Spectroscopy from the Research Laboratory to the Process Line, Marcel Dekker, West Yorkshire, UK, 1st edition, 2001.
- Y. Homma, Y. Kobayashi, T. Ogino et al., “Role of transition metal catalysts in single-walled carbon nanotube growth in chemical vapor deposition,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 44, pp. 12161–12164, 2003.
- M. J. Behr, E. A. Gaulding, K. A. Mkhoyan, and E. S. Aydil, “Hydrogen etching and cutting of multiwall carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1187–1194, 2010.
- L. T. Sun, J. L. Gong, Z. Y. Zhu et al., “Nanocrystalline diamond from carbon nanotubes,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 15, pp. 2901–2903, 2004.
- Q. Yang, S. Yang, C. Xiao, and A. Hirose, “Transformation of carbon nanotubes to diamond in microwave hydrogen plasma,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 11-12, pp. 2208–2211, 2007.
- M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Dresselhaus, R. Saito, and A. Jorio, “Raman spectroscopy of carbon nanotubes,” Physics Reports, vol. 409, no. 2, pp. 47–99, 2005.
- M. S. Dresselhaus, A. Jorio, A. G. Souza Filho, and R. Saito, “Defect characterization in graphene and carbon nanotubes using Raman spectroscopy,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 368, no. 1932, pp. 5355–5377, 2010.
- L. C. O’brien, R. L. Kubicek, and J. J. O’brien, “Laser raman spectroscopy of diamond,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 759–760, 1994.
- G. Zhang, P. Qi, X. Wang et al., “Hydrogenation and hydrocarbonation and etching of single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 18, pp. 6026–6027, 2006.
- Q. Zhang, J. Liu, R. Sager, L. Dai, and J. Baur, “Hierarchical composites of carbon nanotubes on carbon fiber: influence of growth condition on fiber tensile properties,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 594–601, 2009.
- M. F. De Riccardis, D. Carbone, T. D. Makris, R. Giorgi, N. Lisi, and E. Salernitano, “Anchorage of carbon nanotubes grown on carbon fibres,” Carbon, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 671–674, 2006.
- I. T. Barney, Fabrication and Testing of Hierarchical Carbon Nanostructures For Multifunctional Applications, Wright State University, 2012.