- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 361249, 7 pages
Effects of Surface Morphology of Ceramic Materials on Osteoblastic Cells Responses
1Laboratorio de Bioingeniería de Tejidos, Facultad de Odontología, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Coyoacán, 04510 Ciudad de México, DF, Mexico
2Instituto de Investigaciones en Materiales, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Coyoacán, 04510 Ciudad de México, DF, Mexico
3Tissue Bioengineering Laboratory, Division of Research and Postgraduate Studies, Faculty of Dentistry, National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Circuito Exterior s/n, Coyoacan, 04510 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
Received 5 September 2012; Revised 16 January 2013; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editor: Nabeen Kumar Shrestha
Copyright © 2013 José Luis Suárez-Franco et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Hill, J. R. Craig, and G. V. Gibbs, “Systematics of the spinel structure type,” Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 317–339, 1979.
- D. L. Anderson, “The earth as a planet: paradigms and paradoxes,” Science, vol. 223, no. 4634, pp. 347–355, 1984.
- S. K. Sampath, D. G. Kanhere, and R. Pandey, “Electronic structure of spinel oxides: zinc aluminate and zinc gallate,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 11, no. 18, pp. 3635–3644, 1999.
- S. Mathur, M. Veith, M. Haas et al., “Single-source sol-gel synthesis of nanocrystalline ZnAl2O4: structural and optical properties,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1921–1928, 2001.
- T. El-Nabarawy, A. A. Attia, and M. N. Alaya, “Effect of thermal treatment on the structural, textural and catalytic properties of the ZnO-Al2O3 system,” Materials Letters, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 319–325, 1995.
- H. Dinopoulos, R. Dimitriou, and P. V. Giannoudis, “Bone graft substitutes: what are the options?” Surgeon, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 230–239, 2012.
- C. Zink, H. Hall, D. M. Brunette, and N. D. Spencer, “Orthogonal nanometer-micrometer roughness gradients probe morphological influences cell behavior,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 32, pp. 8055–8061, 2012.
- T. P. Kunzler, T. Drobek, M. Schuler, and N. D. Spencer, “Systematic study of osteoblast and fibroblast response to roughness by means of surface-morphology gradients,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 13, pp. 2175–2182, 2007.
- T. P. Kunzler, C. Huwiler, T. Drobek, J. Vörös, and N. D. Spencer, “Systematic study of osteoblast response to nanotopography by means of nanoparticle-density gradients,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 33, pp. 5000–5006, 2007.
- D. Khang, J. Choi, Y. M. Im et al., “Role of subnano-, nano- and submicron- surface features on osteoblast differentiation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 26, pp. 5997–6007, 2012.
- P. Ducheyne and Q. Qiu, “Bioactive ceramics: the effect of surface reactivity on bone formation and bone cell function,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 23-24, pp. 2287–2303, 1999.
- M. Navarro, A. Michiardi, O. Castaño, and J. A. Planell, “Biomaterials in orthopaedics,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 5, no. 27, pp. 1137–1158, 2008.
- C. Wu, J. Chang, and W. Zhai, “A novel hardystonite bioceramic: preparation and characteristics,” Ceramics International, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 27–31, 2005.
- Y. Ramaswamy, C. Wu, H. Zhou, and H. Zreiqat, “Biological response of human bone cells to zinc-modified Ca-Si-based ceramics,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1487–1497, 2008.
- H. Tapiero and K. D. Tew, “Trace elements in human physiology and pathology: zinc and metallothioneins,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 399–411, 2003.
- C. J. Boehlert and K. Knittel, “The microstructure, tensile properties, and creep behavior of Mg-Zn alloys containing 0–4.4 wt.% Zn,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 417, no. 1-2, pp. 315–321, 2006.
- M. Yamaguchi, H. Oishi, and Y. Suketa, “Stimulatory effect of zinc on bone formation in tissue culture,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 36, no. 22, pp. 4007–4012, 1987.
- Y. Tokudome and M. Otsuka, “Possibility of alveolar bone promotion enhancement by using lipophilic and/or hydrophilic zinc related copund in zinc deficient osteoporosis rats,” Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1496–1501, 2012.
- A. Ito, H. Kawamura, M. Otsuka et al., “Zinc-releasing calcium phosphate for stimulating bone formation,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 2002.
- Y. Tokudome, A. Ito, and M. Otsuka, “Effect of Zinc-containing b-tricalcium phosphate nanoparticles injection on jawbone mineral density and mechanical strength of osteoporosis model rats,” Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1215–1218, 2011.
- N. Saha, A. K. Dubey, and B. Basu, “Cellular proliferation, cellular viability, and biocompatibility of HA-ZnO composites,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 256–264, 2012.
- J. C. Viguié and J. Spitz, “Chemical vapor deposition at low temperaturas,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 585–588, 1975.
- H. Arzate, M. A. Alvarez-Pérez, M. E. Aguilar-Mendoza, and O. Alvarez-Fregoso, “Human cementum tumor cells have different features from human osteoblastic cells in vitro,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 249–258, 1998.
- Power diffraction file card No. 05-0669, “International center for Diffraction Data,” 1990.
- S. Chung and M. W. King, “Design concepts and strategies for tissue engineering scaffolds,” Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 423–438, 2011.
- O. Adamopoulos and T. Papadopoulos, “Nanostructured bioceramics for maxillofacial applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1587–1597, 2007.
- M. J. Dalby, D. McCloy, M. Robertson et al., “Osteoprogenitor response to semi-ordered and random nanotopographies,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 15, pp. 2980–2987, 2006.
- L. L. Hench and I. Thompson, “Twenty-first century challenges for biomaterials,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. S379–S391, 2010.
- D. F. Williams, “On the mechanisms of biocompatibility,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 20, pp. 2941–2953, 2008.
- B. Feng, J. Weng, B. C. Yang, S. X. Qu, and X. D. Zhang, “Characterization of surface oxide films on titanium and adhesion of osteoblast,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 25, pp. 4663–4670, 2003.
- P. Thevenot, W. Hu, and L. Tang, “Surface chemistry influences implant biocompatibility,” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 270–280, 2008.