- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 391832, 6 pages
Axial Vascularization of Nano-HA/Collagen/PLA Composites by Arteriovenous Bundle
1Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, No. 1 Shuaifuyuan Hutong, Beijing 100730, China
2Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Received 4 June 2013; Accepted 28 June 2013
Academic Editor: Xiaoming Li
Copyright © 2013 Hai Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. P. Beier, A. Hess, J. Loew et al., “De novo generation of an axially vascularized processed bovine cancellous-bone substitute in the sheep arteriovenous-loop model,” European Surgical Research, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 148–155, 2011.
- J. P. Beier, R. E. Horch, A. Hess et al., “Axial vascularization of a large volume calcium phosphate ceramic bone substitute in the sheep AV loop model,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 216–223, 2010.
- A. J. Aho, T. Ekfors, P. B. Dean, H. T. Aro, A. Ahonen, and V. Nikkanen, “Incorporation and clinical results of large allografts of the extremities and pelvis,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 307, pp. 200–213, 1994.
- X. M. Li, Y. Yang, Y. B. Fan, Q. L. Feng, F. Z. Cui, and F. Watari, “Biocomposites reinforced by fibers or tubes, as scaffolds for tissue engineering or regenerative medicine,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2013.
- X. M. Li, L. Wang, Y. B. Fan, Q. L. Feng, F. Z. Cui, and F. Watari, “Nanostructured scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 2424–2435, 2013.
- X. Li, Q. Feng, X. Liu, W. Dong, and F. Cui, “Collagen-based implants reinforced by chitin fibres in a goat shank bone defect model,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1917–1923, 2006.
- L.-L. Ren, D.-Y. Ma, X. Feng, T.-Q. Mao, Y.-P. Liu, and Y. Ding, “A novel strategy for prefabrication of large and axially vascularized tissue engineered bone by using an arteriovenous loop,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 737–740, 2008.
- H. Yu, P. J. VandeVord, L. Mao, H. W. Matthew, P. H. Wooley, and S.-Y. Yang, “Improved tissue-engineered bone regeneration by endothelial cell mediated vascularization,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 508–517, 2009.
- S. O. P. Hofer, K. M. Knight, J. J. Cooper-White et al., “Increasing the volume of vascularized tissue formation in engineered constructs: an experimental study in rats,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 1186–1192, 2003.
- H. Kokemueller, S. Spalthoff, M. Nolff et al., “Prefabrication of vascularized bioartificial bone grafts in vivo for segmental mandibular reconstruction: experimental pilot study in sheep and first clinical application,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 379–387, 2010.
- U. Kneser, E. Polykandriotis, J. Ohnolz et al., “Engineering of vascularized transplantable bone tissues: induction of axial vascularization in an osteoconductive matrix using an arteriovenous loop,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1721–1731, 2006.
- S. S. Liao, F. Z. Cui, W. Zhang, and Q. L. Feng, “Hierarchically biomimetic bone scaffold materials: nano-HA/collagen/PLA composite,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 158–165, 2004.
- C. Du, F. Z. Cui, W. Zhang, Q. L. Feng, X. D. Zhu, and K. de Groot, “Formation of calcium phosphate/collagen composites through mineralization of collagen matrix,” Journal of Biomedical Material Research, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 518–527, 2000.
- C. Du, F. Z. Cui, X. D. Zhu, and K. de Groot, “Three-dimensional nano-HAp/collagen matrix loading with osteogenic cells in organ culture,” Journal of Biomedical Material Research, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 407–415, 1999.
- J. Li, J. Hong, Q. Zheng et al., “Repair of rat cranial bone defects with nHAC/PLLA and BMP-2-related peptide or rhBMP-2,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1745–1752, 2011.
- J. M. Kanczler and R. O. C. Oreffo, “Osteogenesis and angiogenesis: the potential for engineering bone,” European Cells and Materials, vol. 15, pp. 100–114, 2008.
- A. Arkudas, J. P. Beier, K. Heidner et al., “Axial prevascularization of porous matrices using an arteriovenous loop promotes survival and differentiation of transplanted autologous osteoblasts,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1549–1560, 2007.
- U. Kneser, D. J. Schaefer, E. Polykandriotis, and R. E. Horch, “Tissue engineering of bone: the reconstructive surgeon's point of view,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 7–19, 2006.
- R. K. Jain, P. Au, J. Tam, D. G. Duda, and D. Fukumura, “Engineering vascularized tissue,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 821–823, 2005.
- Y.-C. Huang, D. Kaigler, K. G. Rice, P. H. Krebsbach, and D. J. Mooney, “Combined angiogenic and osteogenic factor delivery enhances bone marrow stromal cell-driven bone regeneration,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 848–857, 2005.
- R. Hou, F. Chen, Y. Yang et al., “Comparative study between coral-mesenchymal stem cells-rhBMP-2 composite and auto-bone-graft in rabbit critical-sized cranial defect model,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 85–93, 2007.
- U. Kneser, A. Voogd, J. Ohnolz et al., “Fibrin gel-immobilized primary osteoblasts in calcium phosphate bone cement: in vivo evaluation with regard to application as injectable biological bone substitute,” Cells Tissues Organs, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 158–169, 2005.
- J. P. Beier, U. Kneser, J. Stern-Sträter, G. B. Stark, and A. D. Bach, “Y chromosome detection of three-dimensional tissue-engineered skeletal muscle constructs in a syngeneic rat animal model,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2004.
- U. Kneser, P. M. Kaufmann, H. C. Fiegel, and X. Rogiers, “Long-term differentiated function of heterotopically transplanted hepatocytes on three-dimensional polymer matrices,” Journal of Biomedical Material Research, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 494–503, 1999.
- P. Warnke, I. Springer, P. J. Wiltfang et al., “Growth and transplantation of a custom vascularised bone graft in a man,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9436, pp. 766–770, 2004.
- Y. Tanaka, K.-C. Sung, A. Tsutsumi, S. Ohba, K. Ueda, and W. A. Morrison, “Tissue engineering skin flaps: which vascular carrier, arteriovenous shunt loop or arteriovenous bundle, has more potential for angiogenesis and tissue generation?” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1636–1644, 2003.
- J. J. Pribaz, N. Fine, and D. P. Orgill, “Flap prefabrication in the head and neck: a 10-year experience,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 808–820, 1999.
- F. Timmermans, J. Plum, M. C. Yöder, D. A. Ingram, B. Vandekerckhove, and J. Case, “Endothelial progenitor cells: identity defined?” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 87–102, 2009.
- X. Li, C. A. van Blitterswijk, Q. Feng, F. Cui, and F. Watari, “The effect of calcium phosphate microstructure on bone-related cells in vitro,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 23, pp. 3306–3316, 2008.
- X. Li, H. Liu, X. Niu et al., “The use of carbon nanotubes to induce osteogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived MSCs in vitro and ectopic bone formation in vivo,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 4818–4827, 2012.
- X. Li, H. Gao, M. Uo et al., “Effect of carbon nanotubes on cellular functions in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 132–139, 2009.