- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 398357, 9 pages
Synthesis and Characterisation of Calcium Carbonate Aragonite Nanocrystals from Cockle Shell Powder (Anadara granosa)
1Laboratory of Molecular Biomedicine, Institute of Bioscience, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Malaysia
2Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Malaysia
Received 24 November 2012; Accepted 24 March 2013
Academic Editor: Yun Zhao
Copyright © 2013 Abdullahi Shafiu Kamba et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Xu, Y. Ma, and H. Colfen, “Biomimetic mineralization,” Journal of Material Chemistry, vol. 17, pp. 415–449, 2006.
- Y. Fukui and K. Fujimoto, “Bioinspired nanoreactor based on miniemulsion system to create organic-inorganic hybrid nanoparticle and nanofilm,” Journal of Material Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 3493–3499, 2012.
- Q. L. Feng, G. Pu, Y. Pei, F. Z. Cui, H. D. Li, and T. N. Kim, “Polymorph and morphology of calcium carbonate crystals induced by proteins extracted from mollusk shell,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 459–465, 2000.
- R. Velázquez-Castillo, V. Reyes-Gasga, D. I. García-Gutierrez, and M. Jose-Yacaman, “Nanoscale characterization of nautilus shell structure: an example of natural self-assembly,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1484–1489, 2006.
- M. Mohamed, S. Yusup, and S. Maitra, “Decomposition study of calcium carbonate in cockle shells,” Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- A. J. Awang-Hazmi, A. B. Z. Zuki, M. M. Nordin, A. Jalila, and Y. Norimah, “Mineral composition of the cockle (Anadara Granosa) shells of west coast of peninsular Malaysia and its potential as biomaterial for use in bone repair,” Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 591–594, 2007.
- Y. Guowei., L. Wang, and H. Jianhua, “The crystallization behavior of calcium carbonate in ethanol/water solution containing mixed nonionic/anionic surfactants,” Powder Technology, vol. 192, no. 1, pp. 58–64, 2009.
- R. Gupter, Synthesis of Precipitated Calcium Carbonate Nanoparticles Using Modified Emulsion Membranes [M.S. thesis], Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2004.
- G. X. Wu, J. Ding, and J. M. Xue, “Synthesis of calcium carbonate capsules in water-in-oil-in-water double emulsions,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 140–149, 2008.
- T. A. Hassan, V. K. Rangari, V. Fallon, Y. Farooq, and S. Jeelani, “Mechanochemical and sonochemical synthesis of bio-based nanoparticles,” in Proceedings of the Nanotechnology Conference, pp. 278–281, June 2010.
- A. Georgieva, B. Georgieva, Z. Bogdanov, and D. K. Stefanov, “Microemulsion water-in-oil (W/O)—microreactor for synthesis of ultrafine carbonate nanostructures,” University of Ruse Union of Scientists-Ruse, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 34–38, 2011.
- R. Babou-Kammoe, S. Hamoudi, F. Larachi, and K. Belkacemi, “Synthesis of calcium carbonate nanoparticles by controlled precipation of saturated carbonated and calcium Nitrate aqueous solution,” The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 90, pp. 26–33, 2012.
- Y. H. Cho, S. Kim, E. K. Bae, C. K. Mok, and J. Park, “Formulation of a cosurfactant-free O/W microemulsion using nonionic surfactant mixtures,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. E115–E121, 2008.
- S. Talegaonkar, A. Azeem, F. J. Ahmad, R. K. Khar, S. A. Pathan, and Z. I. Khan, “Microemulsions: a novel approach to enhanced drug delivery,” Recent Patents on Drug Delivery and Formulation, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 238–257, 2008.
- K. C. Song and J. H. Kim, “Synthesis of high surface area tin oxide powders via water-in-oil microemulsions,” Powder Technology, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 268–272, 2000.
- C. Karagiozov and D. Momchilova, “Synthesis of nano-sized particles from metal carbonates by the method of reversed mycelles,” Chemical Engineering and Processing, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 115–119, 2005.
- GEA_Niro_Soavi, “Laboratory Manual for Higher pressure Homogenizer,” 2011, http://www.nirosoavi.com/index.asp.
- N. Islam, Z. B. A. Bakar, M. M. Noordin, M. Z. B. Hussain, N. S. B. A. Rahman, and E. Ali, “Characterisation of calcium carbonate and its polymorphs from cockle shells (Anadara granosa),” Powder Technology, vol. 213, no. 1–3, pp. 188–191, 2011.
- K. Mitri, R. Shegokar, S. Gohla, C. Anselmi, and R. H. Müller, “Lutein nanocrystal as antioxidant formulation for oral and dermal delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 420, pp. 141–146, 2011.
- R. Shegokar and R. H. Müller, “Nanocrystals: industrially feasible multifunctional formulation technology for poorly soluble actives,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 399, no. 1-2, pp. 129–139, 2010.
- B. Cheng, M. Lei, J. Yu, and X. Zhao, “Preparation of monodispersed cubic calcium carbonate particles via precipitation reaction,” Materials Letters, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 1565–1570, 2004.
- Y. Dong, Y. Chu, L. Dong, and Z. Yu-jiang, “Controllable synthesis of CaCO3 micro/nanocrystals with different morphologies in microemulsion,” Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 678–682, 2010.
- A. Szcześ, “Influence of the surfactant nature on the calcium carbonate synthesis in water-in-oil emulsion,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 311, no. 4, pp. 1129–1135, 2009.
- Y. Tang, B. Du, L. Li, J. Yang, and Y. Zhang, “Effects of Tx-100-SDS on crystal growth of calcium carbonate in reverse microemulsion solution,” Chinese Science Bulletin, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 78–83, 2007.
- Y. Wang, Y. X. Moo, C. Chen, P. Gunawan, and R. Xu, “Fast precipitation of uniform CaCO3 nanospheres and their transformation to hollow hydroxyapatite nanospheres,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 352, no. 2, pp. 393–400, 2010.
- C. Linga Raju, K. V. Narasimhulu, N. O. Gopal, J. L. Rao, and B. C. V. Reddy, “Electron paramagnetic resonance, optical and infrared spectral studies on the marine mussel Arca burnesi shells,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 608, no. 2-3, pp. 201–211, 2002.
- B. Cheng, W. Cai, and J. Yu, “DNA-mediated morphosynthesis of calcium carbonate particles,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 352, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 2010.
- V. Vongsavat, P. Winotai, and S. Meejoo, “Phase transitions of natural corals monitored by ESR spectroscopy,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, vol. 243, no. 1, pp. 167–173, 2006.
- Y. Hu, Y. Ma, Y. Zhou, F. Nie, X. Duan, and C. Pei, “Hen eggwhite-mediated stack crystallization of calcium carbonate,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 312, no. 6, pp. 831–836, 2010.
- C. A. Korash, “Mechanical properties of a Nanostructure Poly (KAMPS)/Aragonite composite,” in Mechanic of Biological System and Materials. Volume 2, Conference proceedings of the society for expiremental mechanic series, pp. 131–136, 2011.
- Powder Diffraction File-4 Releas, International Centre for Diffraction Data (ICDD), Newton square, Pa, USA, 2012.
- J. Yu, H. Guo, S. A. Davis, and S. Mann, “Fabrication of hollow inorganic microspheres by chemically induced self-transformation,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 16, no. 15, pp. 2035–2041, 2006.