- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 425071, 10 pages
Effects of Ar or O2 Gas Bubbling for Shape, Size, and Composition Changes in Silver-Gold Alloy Nanoparticles Prepared from Galvanic Replacement Reaction
1Department of Agronomy and Agricultural Extension, Rajshahi University, Rajshahi 6205, Bangladesh
2Institute for Materials Chemistry and Engineering, Kyushu University, Kasuga 816-8580, Japan
Received 13 June 2013; Accepted 15 August 2013
Academic Editor: Shuangxi Xing
Copyright © 2013 Md. Jahangir Alam and Masaharu Tsuji. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Sun, C. B. Murray, D. Weller, L. Folks, and A. Moser, “Monodisperse FePt nanoparticles and ferromagnetic FePt nanocrystal superlattices,” Science, vol. 287, no. 5460, pp. 1989–1992, 2000.
- N. Toshima, M. Harada, Y. Yamazaki, and K. Asakura, “Catalytic activity and structural analysis of polymer-protected gold-palladium bimetallic clusters prepared by the simultaneous reduction of hydrogen tetrachloroaurate and palladium dichloride,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 96, no. 24, pp. 9927–9933, 1992.
- J.-H. Liu, A.-Q. Wang, Y.-S. Chi, H.-P. Lin, and C.-Y. Mou, “Synergistic effect in an Au–Ag alloy nanocatalyst: CO oxidation,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 40–43, 2005.
- A.-Q. Wang, J.-H. Liu, S. D. Lin, T.-S. Lin, and C.-Y. Mou, “A novel efficient Au–Ag alloy catalyst system: preparation, activity, and characterization,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 233, no. 1, pp. 186–197, 2005.
- P. Mulvaney, “Surface plasmon spectroscopy of nanosized metal particles,” Langmuir, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 788–800, 1996.
- S. Link, Z. L. Wang, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Alloy formation of gold-silver nanoparticles and the dependence of the plasmon absorption on their composition,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 18, pp. 3529–3533, 1999.
- M. P. Mallin and C. J. Murphy, “Solution-phase synthesis of sub-10 nm Au–Ag alloy nanoparticles,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 1235–1237, 2002.
- O. M. Wilson, R. W. J. Scott, J. C. Garcia-Martinez, and R. M. Crooks, “Synthesis, characterization, and structure-selective extraction of 1–3-nm diameter AuAg dendrimer-encapsulated bimetallic nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 1015–1024, 2005.
- S. Senapati, A. Ahmad, M. I. Khan, M. Sastry, and R. Kumar, “Extracellular biosynthesis of bimetallic Au–Ag alloy nanoparticles,” Small, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 517–520, 2005.
- M. J. Hostetler, C.-J. Zhong, B. K. H. Yen et al., “Stable, monolayer-protected metal alloy clusters,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 120, no. 36, pp. 9396–9397, 1998.
- N. N. Kariuki, J. Luo, M. M. Maye et al., “Composition-controlled synthesis of bimetallic gold-silver nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 25, pp. 11240–11246, 2004.
- D.-H. Chen and C.-J. Chen, “Formation and characterization of Au–Ag bimetallic nanoparticles in water-in-oil microemulsions,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1557–1562, 2002.
- A. B. Smetana, K. J. Klabunde, C. M. Sorensen, A. A. Ponce, and B. Mwale, “Low-temperature metallic alloying of copper and silver nanoparticles with gold nanoparticles through digestive ripening,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 2155–2158, 2006.
- Y.-H. Chen and C.-S. Yeh, “A new approach for the formation of alloy nanoparticles: laser synthesis of gold-silver alloy from gold-silver colloidal mixtures,” Chemical Communications, no. 4, pp. 371–372, 2001.
- I. Lee, S. W. Han, and K. Kim, “Production of Au–Ag alloy nanoparticles by laser ablation of bulk alloys,” Chemical Communications, no. 18, pp. 1782–1783, 2001.
- A. T. Izgaliev, A. V. Simakin, and G. A. Shafeev, “Formation of the alloy of Au and Ag nanoparticles upon laser irradiation of the mixture of their colloidal solutions,” Quantum Electronics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 2004.
- G. C. Papavassiliou, “Surface plasmons in small Au–Ag alloy particles,” Journal of Physics F, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. L103–L105, 1976.
- Y. Sun, B. T. Mayers, and Y. Xia, “Template-engaged replacement reaction: a one-step approach to the large-scale synthesis of metal nanostructures with hollow interiors,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 481–485, 2002.
- H.-P. Liang, L.-J. Wan, C.-L. Bai, and L. Jiang, “Gold hollow nanospheres: tunable surface plasmon resonance controlled by interior-cavity sizes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 16, pp. 7795–7800, 2005.
- P. R. Selvakannan and M. Sastry, “Hollow gold and platinum nanoparticles by a transmetallation reaction in an organic solution,” Chemical Communications, no. 13, pp. 1684–1686, 2005.
- Y. Sun and Y. Xia, “Mechanistic study on the replacement reaction between silver nanostructures and chloroauric acid in aqueous medium,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 12, pp. 3892–3901, 2004.
- Y. Sun and Y. Xia, “Increased sensitivity of surface plasmon resonance of gold nanoshells compared to that of gold solid colloids in response to environmental changes,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 74, no. 20, pp. 5297–5305, 2002.
- Y. Sun, B. Mayers, and Y. Xia, “Metal nanostructures with hollow interiors,” Advanced Materials, vol. 15, no. 7-8, pp. 641–646, 2003.
- Y. Sun and Y. Xia, “Multiple-walled nanotubes made of metals,” Advanced Materials, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 264–268, 2004.
- G. S. Métraux, Y. C. Cao, R. Jin, and C. A. Mirkin, “Triangular nanoframes made of gold and silver,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 519–522, 2003.
- W. Lin, T. H. Warren, R. G. Nuzzo, and G. S. Girolami, “Surface-selective deposition of palladium and silver films from metal-organic precursors: a novel metal-organic chemical vapor deposition redox transmetalation process,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, no. 24, pp. 11644–11645, 1993.
- L. A. Porter Jr., H. C. Choi, A. E. Ribbe, and J. M. Buriak, “Controlled electroless deposition of noble metal nanoparticle films on germanium surfaces,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 1067–1071, 2002.
- X. Lu, H.-Y. Tuan, J. Chen, Z.-Y. Li, B. A. Korgel, and Y. Xia, “Mechanistic studies on the galvanic replacement reaction between multiply twinned particles of Ag and HAuCl4 in an organic medium,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 1733–1742, 2007.
- X. Tang, M. Tsuji, M. Nishio, and P. Jiang, “Roles of chloride anions in the shape evolution of anisotropic silver nanostructures inpoly(vinylpyrrolidone) (PVP)- assisted polyol process,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 82, no. 10, pp. 1304–1312, 2009.
- B. Wiley, T. Herricks, Y. Sun, and Y. Xia, “Polyol synthesis of silver nanoparticles: use of chloride and oxygen to promote the formation of single-crystal, truncated cubes and tetrahedrons,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1733–1739, 2004.
- M. Hu, J. Chen, Z.-Y. Li et al., “Gold nanostructures: engineering their plasmonic properties for biomedical applications,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1084–1094, 2006.
- B. J. Wiley, S. H. Im, Z.-Y. Li, J. McLellan, A. Siekkinen, and Y. Xia, “Maneuvering the surface plasmon resonance of silver nanostructures through shape-controlled synthesis,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 32, pp. 15666–15675, 2006.
- L. Lu, H. Wang, Y. Zhou et al., “Seed-mediated growth of large, monodisperse core-shell gold-silver nanoparticles with Ag-like optical properties,” Chemical Communications, no. 2, pp. 144–145, 2002.
- H. Shi, L. Zhang, and W. Cai, “Composition modulation of optical absorption in AgxAu1-x alloy nanocrystals in situ formed within pores of mesoporous silica,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 1572–1574, 2000.
- G. Ouyang, X. Tan, C. X. Wang, and G. W. Yang, “Physical and chemical origin of size-dependent spontaneous interfacial alloying of core-shell nanostructures,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 420, no. 1–3, pp. 65–70, 2006.
- K. Dick, T. Dhanasekaran, Z. Zhang, and D. Meisel, “Size-dependent melting of silica-encapsulated gold nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 10, pp. 2312–2317, 2002.
- H. Yasuda and H. Mori, “Spontaneous alloying of zinc atoms into gold clusters and formation of compound clusters,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 69, no. 26, pp. 3747–3750, 1992.
- H. Yasuda, H. Mori, M. Komatsu, and K. Takeda, “Spontaneous alloying of copper atoms into gold clusters at reduced temperatures,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 1100–1103, 1993.
- M. Tsuji, C. Shiraishi, M. Hattori et al., “Rapid spontaneous alloying between Pd nanocubes and Ag nanoparticles in aqueous solution at ambient temperature,” Chemical Communications, 2013.
- S. K. Wonnell, J. M. Delaye, M. Bibolé, and Y. Limoge, “Activation volume for the interdiffusion of Ag-Au multilayers,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 72, no. 11, pp. 5195–5205, 1992.
- Y. Ding and J. Erlebacher, “Nanoporous metals with controlled multimodal pore size distribution,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 26, pp. 7772–7773, 2003.
- T. Shibata, B. A. Bunker, Z. Zhang, D. Meisel, C. F. I. Vardeman, and J. D. Gezelter, “Size-dependent spontaneous alloying of Au–Ag nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 40, pp. 11989–11996, 2002.