- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 425726, 13 pages
Preparation and Characterization of Multifunctional Chitin/Lignin Materials
1Institute of Chemical Technology and Engineering, Faculty of Chemical Technology, Poznan University of Technology,
M. Sklodowskiej-Curie 2, 60965 Poznan, Poland
2Institute of Experimental Physics, Faculty of Chemistry and Physics, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, 09599 Freiberg, Germany
Received 16 July 2013; Revised 16 August 2013; Accepted 17 August 2013
Academic Editor: Yuan Zhang
Copyright © 2013 Łukasz Klapiszewski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. L. Chum, Biomass (Organic Electrochemistry). An Introduction and Guide, H. Lund and H. M. Baizer, Eds., Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- J. Ralph, K. Lundquist, G. Brunow et al., “Lignins: natural polymers from oxidative coupling of 4-hydroxyphenyl-propanoids,” Phytochemistry Reviews, vol. 3, no. 1-2, pp. 29–60, 2004.
- S. R. Collinson and W. Thielemans, “The catalytic oxidation of biomass to new materials focusing on starch, cellulose and lignin,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 254, no. 15-16, pp. 1854–1870, 2010.
- M. Micic, K. Radotic, M. Jeremic, D. Djikanovic, and S. B. Kämmer, “Study of the lignin model compound supramolecular structure by combination of near-field scanning optical microscopy and atomic force microscopy,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2004.
- L. A. Donaldson, “Lignification and lignin topochemistry—an ultrastructural view,” Phytochemistry, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 859–873, 2001.
- G. Milczarek, “Preparation and characterization of a lignin modified electrode,” Electroanalysis, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 1411–1414, 2007.
- G. Milczarek, “Lignosulfonate-modified electrodes: electrochemical properties and electrocatalysis of NADH oxidation,” Langmuir, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 10345–10353, 2009.
- G. Milczarek, “Kraft lignin as dispersing agent for carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 638, no. 1, pp. 178–181, 2010.
- G. Milczarek and T. Rebis, “Synthesis and electroanalytical performance of a composite material based on poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) doped with lignosulfonate,” International Journal of Electrochemistry, vol. 2012, Article ID 130980, 7 pages, 2012.
- S. K. Srivastava, A. K. Singh, and A. Sharma, “Studies on the uptake of lead and zinc by lignin obtained from black liquor—a paper industry waste material,” Environmental Technology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 353–361, 1994.
- D. Mohan, C. U. Pittman Jr., and P. H. Steele, “Single, binary and multi-component adsorption of copper and cadmium from aqueous solutions on Kraft lignin-a biosorbent,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 297, no. 2, pp. 489–504, 2006.
- S. Babel and T. A. Kurniawan, “Low-cost adsorbents for heavy metals uptake from contaminated water: a review,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 97, no. 1–3, pp. 219–243, 2003.
- T. Dizhbite, G. Zakis, A. Kizima et al., “Lignin—a useful bioresource for the production of sorption-active materials,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 221–228, 1999.
- T. Kunanopparat, P. Menut, M.-H. Morel, and S. Guilbert, “Improving wheat gluten materials properties by Kraft lignin addition,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 1391–1399, 2012.
- A. A. Morandim-Giannetti, J. A. M. Agnelli, B. Z. Lanças, R. Magnabosco, S. A. Casarin, and S. H. P. Bettini, “Lignin as additive in polypropylene/coir composites: thermal, mechanical and morphological properties,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 2563–2568, 2012.
- J. N. Sheikh and K. H. Prabhu, “Chitin and chitosan biopolymers of the 21 st century,” International Dyer, vol. 195, no. 7, pp. 20–25, 2010.
- F. Khoushab and M. Yamabhai, “Chitin research revisited,” Marine Drugs, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1988–2012, 2010.
- Y. Wang, Y. Chang, L. Yu et al., “Crystalline structure and thermal property characterization of chitin from Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba),” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 90–97, 2013.
- S. Ifuku, M. Nogi, K. Abe et al., “Simple preparation method of chitin nanofibers with a uniform width of 10-20 nm from prawn shell under neutral conditions,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 762–764, 2011.
- W. Sajomsang and P. Gonil, “Preparation and characterization of α-chitin from cicada sloughs,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 357–363, 2010.
- E. Brunner, P. Richthammer, H. Ehrlich et al., “Chitin-based organic networks: an integral part of cell wall biosilica in the diatom thalassiosira pseudonana,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 48, no. 51, pp. 9724–9727, 2009.
- H. Ehrlich, M. Maldonado, K.-D. Spindler et al., “First evidence of chitin as a component of the skeletal fibers of marine sponges. Part I. Verongidae (Demospongia: Porifera),” Journal of Experimental Zoology B, vol. 308, no. 4, pp. 347–356, 2007.
- H. Ehrlich, M. Krautter, T. Hanke et al., “First evidence of the presence of chitin in skeletons of marine sponges. Part II. Glass sponges (Hexactinellida: Porifera),” Journal of Experimental Zoology B, vol. 308, no. 4, pp. 473–483, 2007.
- E. Brunner, H. Ehrlich, P. Schupp et al., “Chitin-based scaffolds are an integral part of the skeleton of the marine demosponge Ianthella basta,” Journal of Structural Biology, vol. 168, no. 3, pp. 539–547, 2009.
- M. Rinaudo, “Chitin and chitosan: properties and applications,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 603–632, 2006.
- K. Kurita, “Chitin and chitosan: functional biopolymers from marine crustaceans,” Marine Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 203–226, 2006.
- R. Jayakumar, M. Prabaharan, P. T. Sudheesh Kumar, S. V. Nair, and H. Tamura, “Biomaterials based on chitin and chitosan in wound dressing applications,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 322–337, 2011.
- R. Jayakumar, K. P. Chennazhi, S. Srinivasan, S. V. Nair, T. Furuike, and H. Tamura, “Chitin scaffolds in tissue engineering,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 1876–1887, 2011.
- R. Jayakumar, A. Nair, N. S. Rejinold, S. Maya, and S. V. Nair, “Doxorubicin-loaded pH-responsive chitin nanogels for drug delivery to cancer cells,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 2352–2356, 2012.
- K. T. Smitha, A. Anitha, T. Furuike, H. Tamura, S. V. Nair, and R. Jayakumar, “In vitro evaluation of paclitaxel loaded amorphous chitin nanoparticles for colon cancer drug delivery,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 104, pp. 245–253, 2013.
- H. Ehrlich, E. Steck, M. Ilan et al., “Three-dimensional chitin-based scaffolds from Verongida sponges (Demospongiae: Porifera). Part II: biomimetic potential and applications,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 141–145, 2010.
- P. X. Pinto, S. R. Al-Abed, and D. J. Reisman, “Biosorption of heavy metals from mining influenced water onto chitin products,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. 1002–1009, 2011.
- H. Tang, W. Zhou, and L. Zhang, “Adsorption isotherms and kinetics studies of malachite green on chitin hydrogels,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 209-210, pp. 218–225, 2012.
- K. Kurita, “Controlled functionalization of the polysaccharide chitin,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1921–1971, 2001.
- J. D. Kittle, C. Wang, C. Qian et al., “Ultrathin chitin films for nanocomposites and biosensors,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 714–718, 2012.
- X. Wang and B. Xing, “Importance of structural makeup of biopolymers for organic contaminant sorption,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 3559–3565, 2007.
- S. L. James, C. J. Adams, C. Bolm et al., “Mechanochemistry: opportunities for new and cleaner synthesis,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 413–447, 2012.
- A. Tejado, C. Peña, J. Labidi, J. M. Echeverria, and I. Mondragon, “Physico-chemical characterization of lignins from different sources for use in phenol-formaldehyde resin synthesis,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 1655–1663, 2007.
- M. G. Alriols, A. García, R. Llano-ponte, and J. Labidi, “Combined organosolv and ultrafiltration lignocellulosic biorefinery process,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 113–120, 2010.
- G. Cárdenas, G. Cabrera, E. Taboada, and S. P. Miranda, “Chitin characterization by SEM, FTIR, XRD, and 13C cross polarization/mass angle spinning NMR,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 1876–1885, 2004.
- R. L. Lavall, O. B. G. Assis, and S. P. Campana-Filho, “β-Chitin from the pens of Loligo sp.: extraction and characterization,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 13, pp. 2465–2472, 2007.
- M.-K. Jang, B.-G. Kong, Y.-I. Jeong, C. H. Lee, and J.-W. Nah, “Physicochemical characterization of α-chitin, β-chitin, and γ-chitin separated from natural resources,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 42, no. 14, pp. 3423–3432, 2004.
- R. J. Krupadam, P. Sridevi, and S. Sakunthala, “Removal of endocrine disrupting chemicals from contaminated industrial groundwater using chitin as a biosorbent,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 367–374, 2011.
- G. Annadurai, M. Chellapandian, and M. R. V. Krishnan, “Adsorption of reactive dye on chitin,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 111–119, 1999.
- L. Raymond, F. G. Morin, and R. H. Marchessault, “Degree of deacetylation of chitosan using conductometric titration and solid-state NMR,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 246, pp. 331–336, 1993.
- J. Li, J.-F. Revol, E. Naranjo, and R. H. Marchessault, “Effect of electrostatic interaction on phase separation behaviour of chitin crystallite suspensions,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 177–187, 1996.
- W. Janusz and M. Matysek, “Coadsorption of Cd(II) and oxalate ions at the TiO2/electrolyte solution interface,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 296, no. 1, pp. 22–29, 2006.
- D. Dong, A. L. Fricke, B. M. Moudgil, and H. Johnson, “Electrokinetic study of kraft lignin,” Tappi Journal, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 191–197, 1996.
- Ł. Klapiszewski, M. Nowacka, G. Milczarek, and T. Jesionowski, “Physicochemical and electrokinetic properties of silica/lignin biocomposites,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 345–355, 2013.
- H. Harmita, K. G. Karthikeyan, and X. Pan, “Copper and cadmium sorption onto kraft and organosolv lignins,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 24, pp. 6183–6191, 2009.
- D. Stawski, S. Rabiej, L. Herczyńska, and Z. Draczyński, “Thermogravimetric analysis of chitins of different origin,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 489–494, 2008.
- J. Rodríguez-Mirasol, T. Cordero, and J. J. Rodríguez, “CO2-reactivity of eucalyptus kraft lignin chars,” Carbon, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 1993.
- M. Kijima, T. Hirukawa, F. Hanawa, and T. Hata, “Thermal conversion of alkaline lignin and its structured derivatives to porous carbonized materials,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 6279–6285, 2011.
- S. Suhas, P. J. M. Carrott, and M. M. L. Ribeiro Carrott, “Lignin—from natural adsorbent to activated carbon: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 12, pp. 2301–2312, 2007.
- G. Telysheva, T. Dizhbite, L. Jashina et al., “Synthesis of lignin-based inorganic/organic hybrid materials favorable for detoxification of ecosystem components,” BioResources, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1276–1284, 2009.
- R. Saad and J. Hawari, “Grafting of lignin onto nanostructured silica SBA-15: preparation and characterization,” Journal of Porous Materials, vol. 20, pp. 227–233, 2013.