- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 437203, 7 pages
Layer-by-Layer Films from Wine: An Investigation of an Exponential Growth Process
Grupo de Materiais Nanoestruturados, Campus Universitário do Araguaia, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso, Barra do Garças,
Received 17 January 2013; Accepted 5 March 2013
Academic Editor: Shuangxi Xing
Copyright © 2013 Marcio N. Gomes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Liang, C. L. Owens, G. Y. Zhong, and L. Cheng, “Polyphenolic profiles detected in the ripe berries of Vitis vinifera germplasm,” Food Chemistry, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 940–950, 2011.
- Z. Liang, Y. Yang, L. Cheng, and G. -Y Zhong, “Polyphenolic composition and content in the ripe berries of wild Vitis species,” Food Chemistry, vol. 132, pp. 730–738, 2012.
- A. Zoechling, F. Liebner, and A. Jungbauer, “Red wine: a source of potent ligands for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ,” Food & Function, vol. 2, pp. 28–38, 2011.
- J. M. Guilford and J. M. Pezzuto, “Wine and health: a review,” American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, vol. 62, pp. 471–486, 2011.
- P. Gresele, C. Cerletti, G. Guglielmini, P. Pignatelli, G. de Gaetano, and F. Violi, “Effects of resveratrol and other wine polyphenols on vascular function: an update,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 201–211, 2011.
- M. Das and D. K. Das, “Resveratrol and cardiovascular health,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 503–512, 2010.
- P. Wang, K. Zhang, Q. Zhang, J. Mei, C. J. F. Z. Chen, and D. H. Yu, “Effects of quercetin on the apoptosis of the human gastric carcinoma cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 26, pp. 221–228, 2012.
- A. R. Patel, C. P. Heussen, J. Hazekamp, E. Drost, and K. Velikov, “Quercetin loaded biopolymeric colloidal particles prepared by simultaneous precipitation of quercetin with hydrophobic protein in aqueous medium,” Food Chemistry, vol. 133, pp. 423–429, 2012.
- M. Thiruchenduran, N. A. Vijayan, J. K. Sawaminathan, and S. N. Devaraj, “Protective effect of grape seed proanthocyanidins against cholesterol cholic acid diet-induced hypercholesterolemia in rats,” Cardiovascular Pathology, vol. 20, pp. 361–368, 2011.
- H. Xiang, Y. Xie, and J. Hang, “Study on the interaction of DNA with resveratrol by resonance light scattering technique and its analytical application,” Journal of Analytical Chemistry, vol. 66, pp. 618–622, 2011.
- G. Wang, L. Wang, W. Tang, X. Hao, Y. Wang, and Y. Lu, “Binding of quercetin to lysozyme as probed by spectroscopic analysis and molecular simulation,” Journal of Fluorescence, vol. 21, pp. 1879–1886, 2011.
- L. Yang, P. Li, Y. Gao, and D. Wu, “Qualitative observation of chemical change rate for quercetin in basic medium characterized by time resolved UV-vis spectroscopy,” Journal of Molecular Liquids, vol. 151, no. 2-3, pp. 134–137, 2010.
- G. Gonzalez-Neves, G. Gil, G. Favre, and M. Ferrer, “Influence of grape composition and winemaking on the anthocyanin composition of red wines of Tannat,” International Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 47, pp. 900–909, 2012.
- V. Ivanova, B. Vojnoski, and M. Stefova, “Effect of winemaking treatment and wine aging on phenolic content in Vranec wines,” Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 49, pp. 161–172, 2012.
- S. Fragoso, L. Aceña, J. Guasch, M. Mestres, and O. Busto, “Quantification of phenolic compounds during red winemaking using FT-MIR spectroscopy and PLS-regression,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 59, pp. 10795–10802, 2011.
- G. Gambacorta, D. Antonacci, S. Pati et al., “Influence of winemaking technologies on phenolic composition of Italian red wines,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 233, pp. 1057–1066, 2011.
- A. Baiano, C. Terracone, G. Gambacorta, and E. La Notte, “Phenolic content and antioxidant activity of primitivo wine: comparison among winemaking technologies,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. C258–C267, 2009.
- O. Cala, N. Pinaud, C. Simon et al., “NMR and molecular modeling of wine tannins binding to saliva proteins: revisiting astringency from molecular and colloidal prospects,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 4281–4290, 2010.
- R. Pradelles, D. Chassagne, S. Vichi, R. Gougeon, and H. Alexandre, “(-)Geosmin sorption by enological yeasts in model wine and FTIR spectroscopy characterization of the sorbent,” Food Chemistry, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 531–538, 2010.
- G. Decher and J. B. Schlenoff, Multilayer Thin Films: Sequential Assembly of Nanocomposite Materials, Wiley-VCH, 2003.
- J. B. Brito, D. J. C. Gomes, V. D. Justina et al., “Nanostructured films from phthalocyanine and carbon nanotubes: surface morphology and electrical characterization,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 367, pp. 467–471, 2012.
- D. L. Elbert, C. B. Herbert, and J. A. Hubbell, “Thin polymer layers formed by polyelectrolyte multilayer techniques on biological surfaces,” Langmuir, vol. 15, no. 16, pp. 5355–5362, 1999.
- C. Picart, P. Lavalle, P. Hubert et al., “Buildup mechanism for poly(L-lysine)/hyaluronic acid films onto a solid surface,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 23, pp. 7414–7424, 2001.
- C. Picart, J. Mutterer, L. Richert et al., “Molecular basis for the explanation of the exponential growth of polyelectrolyte multilayers,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 20, pp. 12531–12535, 2002.
- P. Lavalle, C. Gergely, F. J. G. Cuisinier et al., “Comparison of the structure of polyelectrolyte multilayer films exhibiting a linear and an exponential growth regime: an in situ atomic force microscopy study,” Macromolecules, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 4458–4465, 2002.
- L. Richert, P. Lavalle, E. Payan et al., “Layer by layer buildup of polysaccharide films: physical chemistry and cellular adhesion aspects,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 448–458, 2004.
- P. Kujawa, P. Moraille, J. Sanchez, A. Badia, and F. M. Winnik, “Effect of molecular weight on the exponential growth and morphology of hyaluronan/chitosan multilayers: a surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy and atomic force microscopy investigation,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 25, pp. 9224–9234, 2005.
- F. Boulmedais, V. Ball, P. Schwinte, B. Frisch, P. Schaaf, and J. C. Voegel, “Buildup of exponentially growing multilayer polypeptide films with internal secondary structure,” Langmuir, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 440–445, 2003.
- P. Lavalle, J. C. Voegel, D. Vautier, B. Senger, P. Schaaf, and V. Ball, “Dynamic aspects of films prepared by a sequential deposition of species: perspectives for smart and responsive materials,” Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1191–1221, 2011.
- P. Ribéreau-Gayon, Handbook of Enology : The Chemistry of Wine Stabilization and Treatments, vol. 2, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd edition, 2000.
- A. E. Hagerman, M. E. Rice, and N. T. Ritchard, “Mechanisms of protein precipitation for two tannins, pentagalloyl glucose and epicatechin16 (4→8) catechin (procyanidin),” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 2590–2595, 1998.
- C. Simon, K. Barathieu, M. Laguerre et al., “Three-dimensional structure and dynamics of wine tannin-saliva protein complexes. A multitechnique approach,” Biochemistry, vol. 42, no. 35, pp. 10385–10395, 2003.
- G. Decher, “Fuzzy nanoassemblies: toward layered polymeric multicomposites,” Science, vol. 277, no. 5330, pp. 1232–1237, 1997.
- N. C. De Souza, M. Ferreira, K. Wohnrath, J. R. Silva, O. N. Oliveira Jr., and J. A. Giacometti, “Morphological characterization of Langmuir-Blodgett films from polyaniline and a ruthenium complex (Rupy): influence of the relative concentration of Rupy,” Nanotechnology, vol. 18, no. 7, Article ID 075713, 2007.
- I. G. Roussis, I. Lambropulos, and K. Soulti, “Scavenging capacities of some wines and wine phenolic extracts,” Food Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 351–358, 2005.
- C. Papadopoulou, K. Soulti, and I. G. Roussis, “Potential antimicrobial activity of red and white wine phenolic extracts against strains of staphylococcus aureus, escherichia coli and Candida albicans,” Food Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2005.
- A. L. Lehninger, Princípios De Bioquímica, Sarvier, 3rd edition, 2002.
- C. Porcel, P. Lavalle, V. Ball et al., “From exponential to linear growth in polyelectrolyte multilayers,” Langmuir, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 4376–4383, 2006.
- E. Guzmán, R. Chuliá-Jordán, F. Ortega, and R. G. Rubio, “Influence of the percentage of acetylation on the assembly of LbL multilayers of poly(acrylic acid) and chitosan,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 13, pp. 18200–18207, 2011.
- C. Peng, Y. S. Thio, R. A. Gerhardt, H. Ambaye, and V. Lauter, “pH-promoted exponential layer-by-layer assembly of bicomponent polyelectrolyte/nanoparticle multilayers,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 23, pp. 4548–4556, 2011.
- P. Bieker and M. Schönhoff, “Linear and exponential growth regimes of multilayers of weak polyelectrolytes in dependence on pH,” Macromolecules, vol. 43, pp. 5052–5059, 2010.
- D. T. Haynie, E. Cho, and P. Waduge, “‘In and out diffusion’ hypothesis of exponential multilayer film buildup revisited,” Langmuir, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 5700–5704, 2011.
- A. L. Barabási and H. E. Stanley, Fractal Concepts in Surface Growth, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1995.
- R. C. Salvarezza, L. Vázquez, P. Herrasti, P. Ocón, J. M. Vara, and A. J. Arvia, “Self-affine fractal vapour-deposited gold surfaces characterization by scanning tunnelling microscopy,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 20, no. 8, article 727, 1992.
- P. Keblinski, A. Maritan, F. Toigo, R. Messier, and J. R. Banavar, “Continuum model for the growth of interfaces,” Physical Review E, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 759–778, 1996.
- A. Mazor, D. J. Srolovitz, P. S. Hagan, and B. G. Bukiet, “Columnar growth in thin films,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 424–427, 1988.
- D. M. Aurongzeb, “Nonlinearities in sedimentation: a microscopic study,” Solid State Communications, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 165–169, 2005.
- C. Oguey and N. Rivier, “Roughness and scaling in cellular patterns: analysis of a simple model,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 34, no. 32, article 6225, 2001.
- P. Neogi, “Length scales and roughness on a growing solid surface: a review,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 595, pp. 1–10, 2006.
- N. Happo, M. Fujiwara, M. Iwamatsu, and K. Horii, “Atomic force microscopy study of self-affine fractal roughness of porous silicon surfaces,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 3951–3953, 1998.
- A. E. Lita and J. E. Sanchez Jr., “Effects of grain growth on dynamic surface scaling during the deposition of Al polycrystalline thin films,” Physical Review B, vol. 61, pp. 7692–7699, 2000.
- N. C. De Souza, V. Zucolotto, J. R. Silva et al., “Morphology characterization of layer-by-layer films from PAH/MA-co-DR13: the role of film thickness,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 285, no. 2, pp. 544–550, 2005.
- L. Vázquez, J. M. Albella, R. C. Salvarezza, A. J. Arvia, R. A. Levy, and D. Perese, “Roughening kinetics of chemical vapor deposited copper films on Si(100),” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 68, no. 9, article 1285, 1996.