- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 460518, 6 pages
Bioaccumulation, Subacute Toxicity, and Tissue Distribution of Engineered Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles in Goldfish (Carassius auratus)
1Department of Bioengineering, Tunceli University, Ataturk mahallesi Muhlis Akarsu caddesi, 62000 Tunceli, Turkey
2Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Jackson State University, P.O. Box 17910, Jackson, MS 39217, USA
3Department of Chemical Engineering, Tunceli University, Ataturk mahallesi Muhlis Akarsu caddesi, 62000 Tunceli, Turkey
Received 27 June 2013; Revised 22 August 2013; Accepted 2 September 2013
Academic Editor: Xiaoming Li
Copyright © 2013 Mehmet Ates et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Crane and R. D. Handy, “An assessment of regulatory testing strategies and methods for characterizing the ecotoxicological hazards of nanomaterials,” Report for Defra, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London, UK, 2007.
- R. Owen and R. Handy, “Formulating the problems for environmental risk assessment of nanomaterials,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 16, pp. 5582–5588, 2007.
- R. D. Handy and B. J. Shaw, “Toxic effects of nanoparticles and nanomaterials: implications for public health, risk assessment and the public perception of nanotechnology,” Health, Risk and Society, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 125–144, 2007.
- T. Masciangioli and W. X. Zhang, “Environmental technologies at the nanoscale,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 102–108, 2003.
- M. Baalousha, A. Manciulea, S. Cumberland, K. Kendall, and J. R. Lead, “Aggregation and surface properties of iron oxide nanoparticles: influence of pH and natural organic matter,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1875–1882, 2008.
- G. J. Nohynek, J. Lademann, C. Ribaud, and M. S. Roberts, “Grey Goo on the skin? Nanotechnology, cosmetic and sunscreen safety,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 251–277, 2007.
- J. Medina-Valtierra, C. Frausto-Reyes, J. Ramirez-Ortiz, and G. Camarillo-Martínez, “Self-cleaning test of doped TiO2-coated glass plates under solar exposure,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 598–606, 2009.
- G. Federici, B. J. Shaw, and R. D. Handy, “Toxicity of titanium dioxide nanoparticles to rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): gill injury, oxidative stress, and other physiological effects,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 415–430, 2007.
- T. Watanabe, A. Nakajima, R. Wang et al., “Photocatalytic activity and photoinduced hydrophilicity of titanium dioxide coated glass,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 351, no. 1-2, pp. 260–263, 1999.
- E. Witasp, N. Kupferschmidt, L. Bengtsson et al., “Efficient internalization of mesoporous silica particles of different sizes by primary human macrophages without impairment of macrophage clearance of apoptotic or antibody-opsonized target cells,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 239, no. 3, pp. 306–319, 2009.
- H. J. Johnston, M. Semmler-Behnke, D. M. Brown, W. Kreyling, L. Tran, and V. Stone, “Evaluating the uptake and intracellular fate of polystyrene nanoparticles by primary and hepatocyte cell lines in vitro,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 242, no. 1, pp. 66–78, 2010.
- J. E. Ward and D. J. Kach, “Marine aggregates facilitate ingestion of nanoparticles by suspension-feeding bivalves,” Marine Environmental Research, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 137–142, 2009.
- S. Kashiwada, “Distribution of nanoparticles in the see-through medaka (Oryzias latipes),” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 1697–1702, 2006.
- X. Tao, J. D. Fortner, B. Zhang, Y. He, Y. Chen, and J. B. Hughes, “Effects of aqueous stable fullerene nanocrystals (nC60) on Daphnia magna: evaluation of sub-lethal reproductive responses and accumulation,” Chemosphere, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1482–1487, 2009.
- K. J. Lee, P. D. Nallathamby, L. M. Browning, C. J. Osgood, and X. Nancy Xu, “In vivo imaging of transport and biocompatibility of single silver nanoparticles in early development of zebrafish embryos,” ACS Nano, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 133–143, 2007.
- M. Ates, J. Daniels, Z. Arslan, and I. O. Farah, “Effects of aqueous suspensions of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on Artemia salina: assessment of nanoparticle aggregation, accumulation, and toxicity,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 185, pp. 3339–3348, 2013.
- R. D. Handy, F. Von Der Kammer, J. R. Lead, M. Hassellöv, R. Owen, and M. Crane, “The ecotoxicology and chemistry of manufactured nanoparticles,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 287–314, 2008.
- L. K. Limbach, Y. Li, R. N. Grass et al., “Oxide nanoparticle uptake in human lung fibroblasts: effects of particle size, agglomeration, and diffusion at low concentrations,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 23, pp. 9370–9376, 2005.
- K. Fujiwara, H. Suematsu, E. Kiyomiya, M. Aoki, M. Sato, and N. Moritoki, “Size-dependent toxicity of silica nano-particles to Chlorella kessleri,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health A, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1167–1173, 2008.
- C. Carlson, S. M. Hussein, A. M. Schrand et al., “Unique cellular interaction of silver nanoparticles: size-dependent generation of reactive oxygen species,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 112, no. 43, pp. 13608–13619, 2008.
- J. D. Clogston and A. K. Patri, “Zeta potential measurement,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 697, pp. 63–70, 2011.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Guideline for the Testing of Chemicals: (Part 203), OECD, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, London, UK, 1992.
- Z. Arslan, M. Ates, W. McDuffy et al., “Probing metabolic stability of CdSe nanoparticles: alkaline extraction of free cadmium from liver and kidney samples of rats exposed to CdSe nanoparticles,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 192, no. 1, pp. 192–199, 2011.
- Z. Arslan, “Analysis of fish otoliths by electrothermal vaporization inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry: aspects of precipitating otolith calcium with hydrofluoric acid for trace element determination,” Talanta, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1326–1334, 2005.
- I. Erdelmeier, D. Gérard-Monnier, K. Régnard, N. Moze-Henry, J. Yadan, and J. Chaudière, “Reactions of 1-methyl-2-phenylindole with malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxyalkenals. Analytical applications to a colorimetric assay of lipid peroxidation,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1176–1183, 1998.
- P. C. Maness, S. Smolinski, D. M. Blake, Z. Huang, E. J. Wolfrum, and W. A. Jacoby, “Bactericidal activity of photocatalytic TiO2 reaction: toward an understanding of its killing mechanism,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 4094–4098, 1999.
- H. Esterbauer and K. H. Cheeseman, “Determination of aldehydic lipid peroxidation products: malonaldehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 186, pp. 407–421, 1990.
- L. K. Adams, D. Y. Lyon, and P. J. J. Alvarez, “Comparative eco-toxicity of nanoscale TiO2, SiO2, and ZnO water suspensions,” Water Research, vol. 40, no. 19, pp. 3527–3532, 2006.
- D. Xiong, T. Fang, L. Yu, X. Sima, and W. Zhu, “Effects of nano-scale TiO2, ZnO and their bulk counterparts on zebrafish: acute toxicity, oxidative stress and oxidative damage,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 409, no. 8, pp. 1444–1452, 2011.
- X. Zhu, L. Zhu, Z. Duan, R. Qi, Y. Li, and Y. Lang, “Comparative toxicity of several metal oxide nanoparticle aqueous suspensions to Zebrafish (Danio rerio) early developmental stage,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health A, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 278–284, 2008.
- X. Zhu, Y. Chang, and Y. Chen, “Toxicity and bioaccumulation of TiO2 nanoparticle aggregates in Daphnia magna,” Chemosphere, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 209–215, 2010.
- T. H. Chen, C. Y. Lin, and M. C. Tseng, “Behavioral effects of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on larval zebrafish (Danio rerio),” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 63, no. 5–12, pp. 303–308, 2011.
- M. N. Moore, “Do nanoparticles present ecotoxicological risks for the health of the aquatic environment?” Environment International, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 967–976, 2006.
- J. Moger, B. D. Johnston, and C. R. Tyler, “Imaging metal oxide nanoparticles in biological structures with CARS microscopy,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 3408–3419, 2008.
- D. R. Janero, “Malondialdehyde and thiobarbituric acid-reactivity as diagnostic indices of lipid peroxidation and peroxidative tissue injury,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 515–540, 1990.
- L. J. Marnett, “Oxy radicals, lipid peroxidation and DNA damage,” Toxicology, vol. 181-182, pp. 219–222, 2002.
- D. B. Warheit, R. A. Hoke, C. Finlay, E. M. Donner, K. L. Reed, and C. M. Sayes, “Development of a base set of toxicity tests using ultrafine TiO2 particles as a component of nanoparticle risk management,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 99–110, 2007.
- S. Hall, T. Bradley, J. T. Moore, T. Kuykindall, and L. Minella, “Acute and chronic toxicity of nano-scale TiO2 particles to freshwater fish, cladocerans, and green algae, and effects of organic and inorganic substrate on TiO2 toxicity,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 91–97, 2009.
- A. Kahru, H. C. Dubourguier, I. Blinova, A. Ivask, and K. Kasemets, “Biotests and biosensors for ecotoxicology of metal oxide nanoparticles: a minireview,” Sensors, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 5153–5170, 2008.